Marked coins...

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Every week I go through my boxes.

Every week I see a new way of marking them it seems.

I figure 20% or more of the coins I go through are marked in some obvious way. I can only guess at the amount of time spent on this but I am sure it took hours upon hours to mark these coins.

This week I found around 75 "frosty white" clad halves, some with stickers, many with the usual magic marker on the side, some with the edges colored black, quite a few with either a "3" or "W" on the face, and one was even painted yellow. Some were older, but most were "marked" recently as in within a few months at the most.

When I have asked about this in the past I was told it was a waste of time and not to do it.

That makes me wonder... Given that so many Hunters seem to enjoy wasting prodigious amounts of time marking coins, what are the chances that only those who don't mark their coins visit this forum? Is it much more likely that there are at least a few here that do this, and for whatever reason they refuse to admit it?

I'm not accusing anybody I am just saying... lol

With that said what is actually gained by doing this? I mean they are spending some serious time drawing a smiley face on a few hundred or a few thousand coins per week so there has to be some demonstrated benefit right?

BTW marking your clad coins to make them look like silver when viewed on the edge is EVIL!!!!

Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

Attachments

• rednecks.jpg
    rednecks.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 454

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
You just don't get it do you?? A deep scratch from a commercial coin rolling machine will NEVER disappear from the coin.
no...you don't get it. deep scratches are not from commercial coin machines, most likely those you see are damaged from slot machines....and this by the way is normal wear and tear. marking a coin is not.
So you just keep on sending those coins through the system and dinging them up chief. And, you just keep telling yourself that YOU are not part of the problem..
how is normal circulation of a coin meant for circulation part of the problem and your grafitti is not?
A sharpie mark will be gone in a year or two from normal circulation, or gone instantly if you know what you are doing
so i guess we should all just wait a year or two for your selfish mark to go away on its own. and how do you know how long it takes for a sharpie to wear off? i don't think even Sharpie knows how long it takes for thier ink to wear off.
wow, you must be good being able to remove a sharpie mark from a coin and NOT have it look like a cleaned coin.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I still am against marking but this battle will never be won. Those who mark seem to not care about those who collect for sets etc. The argument will rage until all the coins are marked.

Golden Silver

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
coinmojo said:
I forgot to menten that this BOZO also sends his regards to Scott and wanted to inform us that this particular coin is not silver...... ::)

Mojo

Even as one who selectively marks, for a reason and on specific coins, I see what you have there as damage to coins and a nasty thing that someone did.

The redneck guy is just that. A redneck. And someone who will hurt our hobby. :-( He is the reason so many are against marking. And I agree in this case.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Re: I Mark.

Hi Ho Silver! said:
I have found some 1968 and 1969 that looked clad that way too, no matter WHAT people say about never missing them by rim searching. How would they KNOW they missed them if they ... "missed them"? LOL)

I have to agree with this!! Anyone who thinks they will be right all the time by the side roll method are only fooling themselves. JMO
[/quote]

I dump at a free coinstar that rejects silver. I've been using these machines to dump for the past seven months and have yet to find one that I missed. Also rim check dimes and quarters.
HH
Rich

Ju8vP3t

I marked my coins for a period of several months, then stopped; at the end I was getting back approx. 40-60% of my own coins back, depressing to say the least, that meant that I've searched the same coins over and over again for no telling how long, the only remedy would've been to travel outside my area, and unfortunately I don't have the time to do that >:(

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Ju8vP3t said:
I marked my coins for a period of several months, then stopped; at the end I was getting back approx. 40-60% of my own coins back, depressing to say the least, that meant that I've searched the same coins over and over again for no telling how long, the only remedy would've been to travel outside my area, and unfortunately I don't have the time to do that >:(

This is true. But you need not leave your area. Someone cashes in silver at face every day. You are the filter that sifts the coins out. Every scoop will eventually contain coins you have seen before, but also silver entering the system.

That is why you can find keepers in a box loaded with tagged coins. They all get processed together at the rolling facility.

Mojo

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
If a good number actually marked a significant number of their Clad it would, could have a positive affect in that it may depress the Fly By Nighters who are looking for that pie in the sky- you know they'd fall over in their own pie and walk away in hopeless disgust KNOWing it is a waste of time to do this. :D

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like someone is taunting a CRH'er...probably a TELLER!!!

Ju8vP3t

coinmojo said:
Ju8vP3t said:

This is true. But you need not leave your area. Someone cashes in silver at face every day. You are the filter that sifts the coins out. Every scoop will eventually contain coins you have seen before, but also silver entering the system.

That is why you can find keepers in a box loaded with tagged coins. They all get processed together at the rolling facility.

Mojo

Well at the time I was only searching Halves, and they're relatively stagnant, they don't circulate like other denominations, in fact one time I got an entire box back that were mine, they never re-rolled 'em, the coins were in the same paper rolls I dumped them in :laughing7:, whole box :dontknow:, and I wouldn't think that halves would be imported into an area, so the ratio of searching your same coins was increasing, oh I'm sure they're still out there, just takes a little more effort to find 'em :thumbsup:

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to menten that this BOZO also sends his regards to Scott and wanted to inform us that this particular coin is not silver...... ::)

Mojo

I remember posting about finding redneck halves a long time ago, but I cannot believe that he(Redneck) would be referring to me...But I am a Scott and in Michigan. Well if it is directed to me then that would mean Redneck frequents these forums. Interesting.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Scott (Mich) said:

Mojo

I remember posting about finding redneck halves a long time ago, but I cannot believe that he(Redneck) would be referring to me...But I am a Scott and in Michigan. Well if it is directed to me then that would mean Redneck frequents these forums. Interesting.

Maybe we'll see some 'Hi MOJO' marks now.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Well then if he frequents this forum and was around way back when you documented the rednecks and lives in your area it may not be too hard to figure out who the idiot is.

Golden silver

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrDetector said:
Scott (Mich) said:

Mojo

That would be funny. Suppose I could start writing messages to Silver Cop on my rejects.... >:D

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
AGCoinHunter said:
DrDetector said:
Scott (Mich) said:

Mojo

That would be funny. Suppose I could start writing messages to Silver Cop on my rejects.... >:D
Yes that is a good idea, we could write sweet nothings on our clads and see where they end up. Someone PM'ed me about my getting numbered clad with believe it was "806" on it said he has seen many with that number on them down in TX if memory serves me aright. I got one that had a rainbow coloration of Kennedy's neck other day- likethey used 3 diff highlighters- it really stood out too.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a new way of matking coins this week. I found two Kennedy's with two drilled holes in them. One hole is drilled through the date, and the other is drilled at the top of his head. I will never mark a coin, I get what I get.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
DFX DAVE in M.D. said:
I saw a new way of matking coins this week. I found two Kennedy's with two drilled holes in them. One hole is drilled through the date, and the other is drilled at the top of his head. I will never mark a coin, I get what I get.

I once found a 1964 Kennedy with a drill hole over the 6, so the date was like 1 9 4. It was marked too. It is the only time I ever found a marked keeper. Whether or not it was marked by a CRHer I will never know.

Jim

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
obediah said:
AGCoinHunter said:
DrDetector said:
Scott (Mich) said:

Mojo

Yes that is a good idea, we could write sweet nothings on our clads and see where they end up. Someone PM'ed me about my getting numbered clad with believe it was "806" on it said he has seen many with that number on them down in TX if memory serves me aright. I got one that had a rainbow coloration of Kennedy's neck other day- likethey used 3 diff highlighters- it really stood out too.
Maybe we should start some kind of "Where's Jack" type of thing like they do for the dollar bill? anyone who wants to do it would register their brand on here and we could keep track in a post called "where in the world is Kennedy" I will use this one ( just to the left of the first digit, and I promise not to mark any nice looking coins, any body else up for this? might be kind of interesting, let me know.

Chuck.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really want to aggravate your competition get a silver paint marker and color the rims. But be prepaired as you will undoubtedly get fooled when they make there way back to you. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread