Marked coins...

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Every week I go through my boxes.

Every week I see a new way of marking them it seems.

I figure 20% or more of the coins I go through are marked in some obvious way. I can only guess at the amount of time spent on this but I am sure it took hours upon hours to mark these coins.

This week I found around 75 "frosty white" clad halves, some with stickers, many with the usual magic marker on the side, some with the edges colored black, quite a few with either a "3" or "W" on the face, and one was even painted yellow. Some were older, but most were "marked" recently as in within a few months at the most.

When I have asked about this in the past I was told it was a waste of time and not to do it.

That makes me wonder... Given that so many Hunters seem to enjoy wasting prodigious amounts of time marking coins, what are the chances that only those who don't mark their coins visit this forum? Is it much more likely that there are at least a few here that do this, and for whatever reason they refuse to admit it?

I'm not accusing anybody I am just saying... lol

With that said what is actually gained by doing this? I mean they are spending some serious time drawing a smiley face on a few hundred or a few thousand coins per week so there has to be some demonstrated benefit right?

BTW marking your clad coins to make them look like silver when viewed on the edge is EVIL!!!!

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Saw a new way of marking them myself yesterday saw two coins in one Box one was marked with sharp point marker "84" the other "806", wonder if that means they have marked as many as 806 so far or more?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Today I too found a ken with a big X through his face. Too bad it was a 1966!!! Can we say "Fail" lol. It worked out for me :dontknow:

Golden Silver

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
battlecat said:
Ive been thinking of marking some of mine...maybe a certain year just for a bit to see if I get them back from brinks

Been there done that, and you will get some back in a month or two! :dontknow: :dontknow: I admit I did it when I first started but no more. I agree it is not worth the effort. I got one last week on a Kennedy Half that someone took the time to stamp each letter saying "Impeach Hillary Clinton." :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't see marking them, too much time.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ho Silver! said:
battlecat said:
Ive been thinking of marking some of mine...maybe a certain year just for a bit to see if I get them back from brinks

Been there done that, and you will get some back in a month or two! :dontknow: :dontknow: I admit I did it when I first started but no more. I agree it is not worth the effort. I got one last week on a Kennedy Half that someone took the time to stamp each letter saying "Impeach Hillary Clinton." :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Hmm, maybe I will mark some of my with the symbol of Mr O-mnipotent him self.

Joanner

Dec 31, 2007
I found a half this past week with glasses drawn on the face. Made me chuckle. It was a very good set of glasses. ;D

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Never marked coins as it is a waste of time. I just look at the edges for keepers. Don't even look at the coins unless it is a proof. For all I know I could have dumped a two headed clad Kennedy.
HH
Rich

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Rich Hartford said:
Never marked coins as it is a waste of time. I just look at the edges for keepers. Don't even look at the coins unless it is a proof. For all I know I could have dumped a two headed clad Kennedy.
HH
Rich

I'll bet you missed some silver then for sure. I look at the edges first. THEN I actually look at the coins. I would have missed several and I know exactly what to look for. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Rich Hartford said:
HH
Rich

I'll bet you missed some silver then for sure. I look at the edges first. THEN I actually look at the coins. I would have missed several and I know exactly what to look for. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

That is not true HI HO. An experienced CRHer can spot silver halves just by rim searching. I use a two part test, rim search first, then dump coins "accordian style" from one hand to another to listen for silver.

Only once or twice in my CRHing career have I caught a silver that I missed rim searching (and that was early on in my CRHing career). While sight may miss, sound never lies.

It would be a complete waste of time for me to look at each coin to check the year while doing halves.

PS. Rich, I have found one 1964 two headed Kennedy, but that was found by rim searching.

Jim

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Placerman - it seems like 20%to 30% of the halves around here are marked. We go thru around 30-40 boxes per month and alot are edge marked. we have seen fine lines, wide (fat) lines, black/red/black lines, and silver lines. I got 2 proofs last week that were silver colored all the way around. They actually fooled me for a bit as i pulled them out as soon as i opened the roll and placed them in the silver pile. I saw it was a proof, but did not check the date. My daughter actually caught it and she told me they did not make silver proofs in the 70's. she dropped it on the table and it made that distinctive clad sound. i had to look at the edge with a loupe, and found a small area where someone else had scratched a small line on the edge to see the copper. Must have fooled the previous person for a bit too. Someone else will find it as it went back in my dumps. As for other markings, we get alot of R markings scribbled across the face, alot of 1973 coins marked on the E or R of LIBERTY, and we also get the 3's or W's too. Also came across a bunch of 1974D coins today that had numbers on them. three of them have 709 marked on the front and two that say 609. cant figure that one out.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
jim4silver said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Rich Hartford said:
HH
Rich

If we both used our own method I bet I would find all those you don't believe you missed!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Re: I Mark.

I'm in the minority. I mark my coins. But, I ONLY mark the ones ending in "9". I mark 1979, 1989 and 1999. Only those.

Why?

Because I want to see how many of the coins I go through I have been through before. SInce things are SO BAD out here with silver (My average is one silver about every 4 boxes so far this year. A t least IN the boxes), it gives me HOPE to see that today out of 79 coins that met that criteria, only TWO had my mark already on them. That meant 77 of 79 were NEW to me. Telling me NOT to give up. That these coins may have been searched by others, but not by ME. And that means I "may" still come across some good silver taht is there and hasn't reached me "yet".

When I get to the point where I get 7 out of 10 back that are marked by me, I know I have circulated through most of the coins in the local inventory. Are there new ones added all the time that are silver? Of course so. Look at my post today about 2 hand rolls that I was given while picking up a box of halves. The box was my third skunk of the DAY (And I do more than rim search, in order to find the ones ending with "9". I have found some 1968 and 1969 that looked clad that way too, no matter WHAT people say about never missing them by rim searching. How would they KNOW they missed them if they ... "missed them"? LOL) and I got 31 silvers in the 40 coins of the two hand rolls. So I know new silver comes all the time. But, I like to know how much of the local "inventory" I hvae been through. So far it seems less than 1%, as I average finding ONE coin of mine marked about every 200 coins I get ending in a 9!

Just keeps me hopeful, and gives me one more thing to look for while searching. That keeps my interest level up too, and that is good for me. So I mark. :-) ONLY the ones ending in 9. And as for those that ALWAYS seem to write "I found one today that was marked. But it was a 1969 and SILVER!" ... I do not believe you. Sorry, but EVERY time marking comes up SOMEONE seems to have found THAT DAY a silver coin that was marked. I doubt there are that many stupid marking people out there. So that is just to try to prove your point, but I don't think it is always the truth.

I mark. All the 9's. Now you know (Again) why.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
jrf30, I am going to forget the fact you are calling me a liar. And mark the dang coins if you like. I never attacked you for doing so but calling me a liar now that is uncalled for. The coin was a 40%er, it was found yesterday and it had a X on the obverse. What else do you want? If I need to I will post a photo but then you would probably say it was photo shopped. Have a good one bud.

Golden Silver

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Re: I Mark.

I have found some 1968 and 1969 that looked clad that way too, no matter WHAT people say about never missing them by rim searching. How would they KNOW they missed them if they ... "missed them"? LOL)
[/quote]

I have to agree with this!! Anyone who thinks they will be right all the time by the side roll method are only fooling themselves. JMO

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
golden silver said:
jrf30, I am going to forget the fact you are calling me a liar. And mark the dang coins if you like. I never attacked you for doing so but calling me a liar now that is uncalled for. The coin was a 40%er, it was found yesterday and it had a X on the obverse. What else do you want? If I need to I will post a photo but then you would probably say it was photo shopped. Have a good one bud.

Golden Silver

I apologize for insulting you. :-)

XX

Jan 11, 2008
I've admitted it. I mark coins. And I have learned quite a bit from it.

I have learned about the turn around time in my area from when coins are shipped from a bank to when they
are rolled and boxed.

I have learned who cross-ships with who in my area. Just because a bank ships your coins out via
Brinks, doesn't mean that Brinks will roll them. Doesn't even mean that they will end up back at a Brink's DI.

I now know which banks to dump at, which banks to buy from, and increase my odds of getting fresh halves.

There are alot of other little nuances that I have learned about from marking also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread