Halfs or Halves?

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
After reading through many posts, I notice that some people use the word half's to represent a plural number of half dollars, and some people use the word halves to represent a plural number of half dollars instead.

1. I went to the bank to pick up some half's.
2. I went to the bank to pick up some halves.

Personally, I think that the 2ND one is grammatically correct, but what do you guys and gals think? I know this is a CRHing forum, so if I'm posting in the wrong area, the adims will probably move it.

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Coins4Cheese said:
After reading through many posts, I notice that some people use the word half's to represent a plural number of half dollars, and some people use the word halves to represent a plural number of half dollars instead.

Personally, I think that the 2ND one is grammatically correct, but what do you guys and gals think? I know this is a CRHing forum, so if I'm posting in the wrong area, the adims will probably move it.
Next time you get some Silver Half's / Halves ask the question in the Post and it won't be moved.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't get too hung up over it. After all, we know what they mean.

If you read this forum long enough, despite offering a Spell Check function, you'll see that spelling and grammar are not (necessarily) high priorities.

It (still) bothers me as well (the lack of concern), but you have to pick your battles.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good question and I do not see why Moderator Jeff from PA will move it.

We have to be educated.

They have not moved posts related to politics and conspiracy.

Even metal prices is related to CRH since we all hope that silver goes to $30.

I say sometimes halfs and some time halves. Some one here made the corrections before
but I do not remember

DW

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
Here is your answer..........................

Attachments

• IMG00031-20100323-0938.jpg
    IMG00031-20100323-0938.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 3,536

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
and how many times must we see the word "penny" used when refering to the US 1 cent coin ? --the british have penny coins ( and use pence to mean more than one)-- americans have cent coins (and incorrectly call them penny and pennies)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Coins4Cheese said:

It doesn't matter what we "think". What matters is what is right.

The first usage would be a possessive word. Like "I want to sell a BU half, but the half's face has a scratch in it". The second word is a plural., as in "I have two halves in my pocket right now."

Although it doesn't bother me when people use the first word. Not like "your" and "you're", which seems to be something a majority of people can't keep straight. :-)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
ivan salis said:
and how many times must we see the word "penny" used when refering to the US 1 cent coin ? --the british have penny coins ( and use pence to mean more than one)-- americans have cent coins (and incorrectly call them penny and pennies)

I've gone over to the dark side on this one. I know that we have cents, but I use the word pennies now, because the public knows it to mean the one cent coin. Sometimes words change meaning. It happens to many words in our langauge. As an example - gay used to mean happy. Now it means something totally different. (Just an example I can think of that shows a word's usage changing over time.) So although I know we have cents, I don't have a problem with people using penny.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins4Cheese said:

3. I went to the bank to pick up some fifty cent pieces.

Silver crazy

Aug 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, CZ-7A Pro
How about 4 bit pieces, I bet you would get some looks from the tellers.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
More evidence of the "accepted" terms. Every picture tells a story don't it?

Mojo

Attachments

• halves.jpg
    halves.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 3,295
  • pennies2.jpg
    pennies2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 3,209
  • pennies.jpg
    pennies.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,185

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
I have a question.....weren't the first dimes called "dismes"??

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Darth Walker said:
This is a good question and I do not see why Moderator Jeff from PA will move it.

We have to be educated.

They have not moved posts related to politics and conspiracy.

Even metal prices is related to CRH since we all hope that silver goes to $30.

I say sometimes halfs and some time halves. Some one here made the corrections before
but I do not remember

DW

I have....

Mojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
keverett said:

Red Book 60th edition 2007, page 13

"On April 2 1792, a bill was passed providing that the money of account of the United states should be expressed in dollars or units, dismes or tenths, cents or hundredth part of a dollar,and milles or thousandths;"

Mojo

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
coinmojo said:
keverett said:

Red Book 60th edition 2007, page 13

"On April 2 1792, a bill was passed providing that the money of account of the United states should be expressed in dollars or units, dismes or tenths, cents or hundredth part of a dollar,and milles or thousandths;"

Mojo

Thanks Mojo......just goes to show you......I guess we change our minds on the nomenclature every hundred years or so....

cookiemonster351

Apr 11, 2008
Lima Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Ok but which way does toilet paper hang? with the flap to the back toward the wall or to the front?
Does this apply to paper towels too?
keep on diggin!
cookiemonster351
aka Don
???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions