Officially done with halves

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get upset with me, it is just too much work and not enough reward. I just can't do halves anymore and here are the reasons:

1) Too hard to dump. Only one bank can handle more than $50.00 worth and I have spent too much gas money and time driving to the ones that do take more than $50.00 worth.

2.) My last 6 boxes were all skunks, I know the "motherload" is out there but I don't feel like spending $1000.00 in gas and time to find it.

3.) Out of every ten dollar roll I search seven dollars of it has been "marked"! I am convinced we are just playing a shell game.

4.) I can find 3 silver dimes in a $250.00 box of dimes pretty easily and if I don't, I can dump them at any bank with no problem.

5.) I really like my bank and I know I am creating extra work for them for no reason in my mind.

I feel no ill will for anybody who continues to search halves and wish everyone the best of luck!
I will continue dimes and pennies and have fun with the kids searching them and keep everyone posted with the results regularly.

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
In your shoes I would do exactly the same,minus the cents.
Good luck with the dimes ! They add up.
HH
Rich

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
thinking about the same, but would want like 4 boxes of dimes at least at a time to make up gas $

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Good Luck Prof. I hope you continue to buy any loose halves, your tellers may have. Those wouldn't add up too fast. And don't hesitate to ask friendly tellers, that you see fairly regularly, to save all those old or unusual coins for you. Keep us posted on the dimes (my favorite).

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
:icon_thumright: no reason for us to be mad thats more for those of us still in the hunt good luk with dimes tho

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I understand what you are saying. I have been done with halves at least a dozen times. Like a junkie I keep coming back, but each time I come back I do less and less.

By now I am almost done. It is alot of I special order 3-4 boxes in a given week. But then if they are bad (which they usually are anymore) I will go a couple of weeks without any boxes.

Good luck staying on the wagon!

Jim

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Prof,

I like hunting halves, but not boxed halves. My box finds were meager as well, and dumping $1000+ was a pain. So now I just get what banks have on hand whenever I can, which isn't often (I've been working to much to hunt).

You may want to give nickel boxes a try. They were always my favorite, as there was always something good to find... buffs, war nickels, neat foreign coins, I even got a 39D in great condition.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread