Dumpelstiltskin

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
In last weeks dumping adventures my six reserve banks had signs posted on the coin counters that you can only dump $500.00 at a time twice a month or get charged a 10% fee. I knew this was coming and of course I'm not going to pay a fee being a frugal type cheapskate :laughing7:. Luckily I convinced the teller to let me dump a thousand for free and cherry pick the bag.
Today I had to get rid of some more coin. I do it on a rotational basis which I keep in order unless the machines are out of service.
Anyway I started out at a spot where the [mod]unecessary word removed[/mod] manager hates my guts. I give her a nice smile and say"Good morning", she frowns and looks at me like she just saw Rumpelstiltskin,and doesn't say anything.
Which is just as well because I probably wouldn't understand her anyway. I go about my dump and get out of there with the feeling that my dumping days are coming to end.
Next I hit another bank where they are not too friendly either. I don't have nothing against people that are a bit overweight, but it rubs me the wrong way when I encounter young fat and lazy people who shuffle their feet when they walk. As soon as I come in the door I here this group groan, and snort, from these heavy weights. The banks not busy and they are just sitting aroung munching on Fritos.As soon as the bag fills they all disappear. The pizza delivery man must have arrived! Anyway I'm waiting a good 20 minutes before Tyrone (the friendliest of the bunch) shuffles up in slow motion to change the bag.I have sons older than him,and he straining to lift a 25 pound bag of halves. To cheer him up from his drudgery I start talking about food, [mod]Unecessary sentences removed[/mod]. That motivated him to hang around till I was done dumping.
Never did finish this weeks dumping and I have 4 good banks left to hit,but I'll save them for the next couple of weeks.
I've decided to cut back on my boxes this month,just to keep the dumps down. I want to stay in the game for at least a couple of more months.
HH
Rich

Upvote 0

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
I have to find some machines to dump at. I don't trust the TDs after all that's been said here.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I am rather quiet when i do this for most part, at pick up bank i have no idea what to say... dumping though they ask questions and i answer... but i feel very awkward doing both and feel being cut off is the future.

isn't a 1k bag more like 50-55lbs?

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Me too Rich, if strike out again this week will call it quits- no more weekly Boxes will take a break over summer restart in the fall in September. Got 12 Boxes ordered, the wife 10 . I'm almost hoping it will be bad just to give me excuse to take a break for while. This hobby has become a ball & chain to me- a real compulsion; need to check APA diagnostic manual to be sure. ::)

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
$6.00 shipping fee per box is "coming soon to a bank near you"! Time for all of us to go back to 1 or 2 boxes a week. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda like what a lot of you are saying - I got rather fried doing halves, and have gone over to
dimes for a while . I never say never and when I'm on a road trip , I'll try over the counter rolls
of halves and dimes anywhere I happen to be . Argentium.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
obediah said:
This hobby has become a ball & chain to me- a real compulsion; need to check APA diagnostic manual to be sure. ::)

See: Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) and look under "Hoarding" :laughing7:
"Accompanying Rituals
Common rituals, which accompany the OCP syndrome typically, involve (1) perfectionism, (2) hoarding, and (3)ordering. " [emphasis added]

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it is my age; Maybe it is my upbringing--who knows :dontknow:. Customer service should be just that--Customer Service.

I get all bent out of shape when and if I see/hear inappropriate responses to what ever my inquiry is--be it coins--be it sacking my groceries, etc.

My momma would have came unglued if I ever disrespected my elders in even in the smallest sense. I go off, (literally), if a child (anyone younger than 35) even attempts to even think about what my grandmother called a "slight."

I guess now I just notice it more than I did in my past years. I make it a point to service every parent (whether I agree with them or not) at my school, with a smile and do everything I can to help them help their kid.

Yep, Mr. Hartford, call on me and I will do the southern Virginia Reel or Texas Two-Step on their head. :laughing9:

apush

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rich,
I certainly ssympathize with you and the other large quantity box searchers. Having to "dump" all those coins would really turn me off even if the conditions with the banks were okay. Now that the banks seem to be fighting back it makes it all that more difficult. That's why I just take loose ones and customer wrapped rolls. Easy for me to say since there are hundreds of banks near where I live. Many of the guys on this forum don't have that luxury. Hang in there, everyone. Things will change for the better. I feel a big score for someone soon.
rileyboy

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
obediah said:
Me too Rich, if strike out again this week will call it quits- no more weekly Boxes will take a break over summer restart in the fall in September. Got 12 Boxes ordered, the wife 10 . I'm almost hoping it will be bad just to give me excuse to take a break for while. This hobby has become a ball & chain to me- a real compulsion; need to check APA diagnostic manual to be sure. ::)

Obe,
I don't believe it for a moment that it is a compulsion for you. It's a subtle form of activism :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Hi Ho Silver! said:
$6.00 shipping fee per box is "coming soon to a bank near you"! Time for all of us to go back to 1 or 2 boxes a week. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Well they can keep their fees,I'm not paying. They will fee themselves to the unemployment line.
HH
Rich

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
apush said:
Maybe it is my age; Maybe it is my upbringing--who knows :dontknow:. Customer service should be just that--Customer Service.

I get all bent out of shape when and if I see/hear inappropriate responses to what ever my inquiry is--be it coins--be it sacking my groceries, etc.

My momma would have came unglued if I ever disrespected my elders in even in the smallest sense. I go off, (literally), if a child (anyone younger than 35) even attempts to even think about what my grandmother called a "slight."

I guess now I just notice it more than I did in my past years. I make it a point to service every parent (whether I agree with them or not) at my school, with a smile and do everything I can to help them help their kid.

Yep, Mr. Hartford, call on me and I will do the southern Virginia Reel or Texas Two-Step on their head. :laughing9:

apush
The good old days are over. With enough of us around to remember, there is always a chance that they will come back :icon_sunny:
HH
Rich

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
rileyboy said:
Rich,
I certainly ssympathize with you and the other large quantity box searchers. Having to "dump" all those coins would really turn me off even if the conditions with the banks were okay. Now that the banks seem to be fighting back it makes it all that more difficult. That's why I just take loose ones and customer wrapped rolls. Easy for me to say since there are hundreds of banks near where I live. Many of the guys on this forum don't have that luxury. Hang in there, everyone. Things will change for the better. I feel a big score for someone soon.
rileyboy

There is no question that road trips are still the way to go. I'd need to catch a few dream boxes to beat my best road tripping month.
I just got road tripped out, and the boxes are less time consuming.
I doubt that I would ever really quit this hobby with the loss of my dump banks. I'd simply find a different way of going about it :laughing7:
HH
Rich

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fredness said:
obediah said:
This hobby has become a ball & chain to me- a real compulsion; need to check APA diagnostic manual to be sure. ::)

See: Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) and look under "Hoarding" :laughing7:
"Accompanying Rituals
Common rituals, which accompany the OCP syndrome typically, involve (1) perfectionism, (2) hoarding, and (3)ordering. " [emphasis added]

Actually, the book would be the DSM IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition).

But in reality, the CRHing addiction is not a true mental illness, nor is it related to OCD in my opinion. Instead, it is tied to the addiction to the treasure finding aspect. I believe it was BF Skinner's research on rats in a box which found that intermittent reinforcement has the strongest power over an animal (humans included).

For example, if you get a reward every time you push the button, over time you get bored. If you never get a reward when you push the button, you soon lose interest. But if you never know when you will get a reward and they come out seemingly randomly when you push the buttons, it will hook you in the strongest way. Sort of like a slot machine. That is also kind of like CRHing in a way. Ten skunk boxes in a row then a good box. Or going to several banks on the road then you get a solid roll surprise, etc.

Another draw to CRHing is the fact the that "reward" can be converted into cash. Unlike other hobbies, ie, fishing, golf, hiking, model airplanes, CRHing can give you monetary rewards. Everybody needs money to live.

Jim

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I haven't had near the problems dumping that I sometimes encounter when first ordering from a new source. For the dumps I always offer up the use of my folding cart that holds 5-6 boxes of halves w/o a problem and that seems to smooth over any anxiety from tellers. The stories I hear from the tellers about the couriers are something else though. You would think that those folks whose job it is soley to drop off and pick up coins would not be complaining near as much as they do. Oh well. HH all, or should I say HD (happy dumping) all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread