Slow week...lots of searching...limited results. Where are the halves?!

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
Well I finally hit a slow week. I guess it had to happen, after all, silver halves aren't limitless. I went to a lot banks in the city and in a rural part of the state. A total of $1,460 in halves and the yield was 19 silver halves. Only 1 90% Kennedy the rest were 40%. It may be time to get busier with the metal detector. I guess I'll give it a couple of weeks and then try again. The fun part is...you never know what you'll get.

Happy and lucky searching to all.

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it is terribly slow here, as no banks that I have been to recently have even had a loose half dollar laying around, let alone enough for me to accumulate $1,460!

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than my jackpot (34 silver halves) I hit this week, its been slowing down with the halves.
I think alot of people are either holding on to them or there are more searchers. You have to be lucky!!
You are right Bill, it's time to get busy with the metal detector!!

HH!!
Joe

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Well I'll tell you what I noticed today and last week. I ordered two boxes of halves($1000.00) and the first box was alright, it produced 5-40% silver halves. I opened the second box and I KNEW there wasn't going to be anything in the box and I was RIGHT.

Here is what I think is happening. The boxes are delivered to the banks in my town by Brinks. Of couse the boxes are sealed,however; the rolls inside one of the boxes were not machine sealed on one end of EVERY roll in the box. I thought for a moment that maybe the machine had failed to seal the ends,but this wasn't the case as all of the rolls were like that. Last week I went to a bank and asked if they had rolled halves and the teller had $400.00 of them and I asked to look at them first. The rolls were exactly as they were in my box, with one end not sealed and I could definitely tell they had been searched.

I think there are several people buying the boxes,and putting the halves back into the white wrappers and taking back to the bank. Brinks picks up the coins and they go back to normally be re-wrapped but all of a sudden they notice the rolls are theirs and open at one end and possibly decide not to re-wrap them. When I finish searching the rolls, I re-wrap them in the standard brown wrappers and put my bank account information on each to turn into my bank.

I'm curious what your thoughts are about this?

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennyworth said:
Well I'll tell you what I noticed today and last week. I ordered two boxes of halves($1000.00) and the first box was alright, it produced 5-40% silver halves. I opened the second box and I KNEW there wasn't going to be anything in the box and I was RIGHT.

Here is what I think is happening. The boxes are delivered to the banks in my town by Brinks. Of couse the boxes are sealed,however; the rolls inside one of the boxes were not machine sealed on one end of EVERY roll in the box. I thought for a moment that maybe the machine had failed to seal the ends,but this wasn't the case as all of the rolls were like that. Last week I went to a bank and asked if they had rolled halves and the teller had $400.00 of them and I asked to look at them first. The rolls were exactly as they were in my box, with one end not sealed and I could definitely tell they had been searched.

I think there are several people buying the boxes,and putting the halves back into the white wrappers and taking back to the bank. Brinks picks up the coins and they go back to normally be re-wrapped but all of a sudden they notice the rolls are theirs and open at one end and possibly decide not to re-wrap them. When I finish searching the rolls, I re-wrap them in the standard brown wrappers and put my bank account information on each to turn into my bank.

I'm curious what your thoughts are about this?

Maybe the tellers at the bank are searching the box before you do....or maybe it is like you said about someone else checking them this way...and returning them...
When I order halves....I have not run into this problem...they are always well sealed. I check each roll and reseal
the halves with new rolls that I purchased online...then I bring them back to the bank.

Joe

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I'm positive the tellers are not searching the rolls that I received in the box because the box is sealed by Brinks. The other bank that I went to last week that had the $400.00 in halves with open ends had been turned in by a customer. I just thought it was odd that Brinks would actually allow the rolls to be re-packaged this way without checking the rolls to make sure they were not short and I thought maybe there was some legal standpoint about them being sealed. I'm just surprised by Brinks actions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread