Beginners Luck, Returners Luck,Luck by Association Theory

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
So does anybody have any scientific explanation why these three types of luck continuously prove themselves to exist over and over on this forum? We see it with most newbies that they hit it big sometimes several times when they first start out. It was true with me and I know most of you have similar stories. Returners luck-this is often does not bring in as much silver as beginners luck but it is also something that seems to exist in this hobbie. How many stories or experiences to we hear about that tell of a CRHer who has gone away for several months, comes back only to hit a really good score(ie Rich Hartford when he switched from Road to Box). Of course his amaizing scores seem to happen on the weekly basis but I digress. Finally what is your take on this theory of mine. Don't knock it until you try it.

If you no longer fall into either one of the first two categories you might could try #3. I have and it has worked for me. Theory: So you are 3,4,5...yr veteran CRHer your box finds have long sinced dried up and your road trips are more site seeing tours than silver hunting. What I decided to try several months ago is tag around with my Father who was a new CRHer. I did not even think about how if we went out together I might recieve some of his beginners luck. In my own experience it has worked time and time again on our road trips. Where I would not find much I now was turning up big scores. Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

One last question. If it works to tag onto the beginner could it work tagging onto a returner? One could even tag onto a tagger or float like a parasite from one beginner to another (not recommended).

Golden Silver

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I had beginners luck, and my son Scooba had some serious beginners luck.
It took me a year and a half to get my first dream box. Now get this, my mother was up from Florida, and was sitting at the kitchen table when I was opening this dream box. She is a lottery winner,not once ,but twice. Got me wondering if her luck rubbed off on me that day.
I think that we believe in beginners luck because we hear from those who score on their first boxes or road trips,and those who don't score get discouraged and fade away. I know of at least three people that bought one box,skunked,and never tried it again.
With me I never skunk out on my boxes because I cheat. There are 12-20 half dollar boxes at my main bank when I go to pick up. Eight are for me, the rest for other box searchers. The tellers let me into the vault where I closely examine the holes in the boxes,looking for enders. No luck involved,and it works every week.
HH
Rich

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I'll let ya know about the association after I get my lucky friend to buy the bags of dimes and quarters for ME. HH Mark

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Rich Hartford said:
I never skunk out on my boxes because I cheat. There are 12-20 half dollar boxes at my main bank when I go to pick up. Eight are for me, the rest for other box searchers. The tellers let me into the vault where I closely examine the holes in the boxes,looking for enders. No luck involved, and it works every week.
HH
Rich

Oh you Devil. >:D I hate you...... ;D

Mojo

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Mojo master, How is that possible with your great finds my friend? You are right about this theory is an untapped source. It may be worth looking into for you. I would be interested to know if it works for you as well.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
golden silver said:
Mojo master, How is that possible with your great finds my friend? You are right about this theory is an untapped source. It may be worth looking into for you. I would be interested to know if it works for you as well.

Golden Silver

My finds are way down from years past but I still take random roadtrips and those have proven to be successfull for me. However they are time consuming. My regular orders though, are down. So to supplement the lack of keepers comming out of my boxes I try to reach out to uncharted territory once or twice a month.

Mojo

Silverminer

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I am late to comment on this but, a couple quick thoughts.

1. Beginners and returners luck is made by being in the hunt.
A. Beginners post the good luck and most likely don't post until they score. The mere fact they are searching increase the chances of hitting silver.
B. Returners seem to move through large volumes which helps there odds of being successful. Doing 4 to 20 boxes a week is a lot opportunities to be successful.

If you can live with dumping 100's lbs. of coins weekly then you deserve the luck you experience.

I always believe the silver could be in any roll sitting in the bank so if you don't buy them all when offered you may miss the big score!
Hope that makes sense just returned from 2 day 1300 mile road trip(with all banks closed for the holiday)
Cheers!

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Firm believer in "Untapped Rescources"
We tend to start big and get weaker as we deplete.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 or 4 month into this . . . no dream box. Had some good keepers, but no where near the newbies luck I have seen posted. Perhaps some day--I will just keep chuggy along with my bit o' silver here and there. Just happy as all get out to get what I do. :)

It's time for a vacation to the beach.

apush :read2:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife says it has something to do with horseshoe stuck up my bu%% :tongue3:

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Pdiddy- I think that may be a whole other kind of treasure hunting. And what did you do to piss of the horse??? ;D

Golden Silver

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
It is being in the right place at the right time :)
And!!!
Always being nice to the girls in the bank.

You never know when they will hand you 2 rolls of
90% when you walk in. :)

This happened to me this week. :headbang:

I think it's a numbers game the more we are out there
the better the chance.

Gl All
HH
Dan

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a case of beginner's luck. In my first 3 boxes, I netted over 6oz of silver including 2 walkers and 2 ben franklins. Overall, I searched some 130 boxes of coins and have netted roughly about 24oz of silver.

Do the math, that's 1/4 of all the silver I have found to date, in my first 3 boxes.

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
It goes to show that my theory is correct. I remember when I got my Dad into this hobbie. My luck had dried up a bit and then we started doing road trips together and I got some of his beginners luck. We had some good scores. Of course I had to split it but I was still finding silver.

Golden Silver

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These postings bring back a few fond memories.

apush

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've had beginner's luck myself. My very first half dollar box had a 1964 obverse ender, and that box ended up with 1 90% and 6 40%, closely followed by 6 skunk boxes.
I've had good boxes with 20+ silvers in them, but also just suffered a 30+ box skunk streak with silver slowly but surely picking up again.
You just never know!
HH
Buff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread