Incredible find at BOA - Silver Score

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
I stopped in at BOA yesterday to pick up a box of dimes. I asked the teller if she happened to have an halves. She said she had $90 that she "wanted to get rid of". Suspecting someone's dumps, I asked if she knew where they cam from. She said they had come from customers and she had wrapped them herself. I decided to take them. While she was handing them to me she dropped a roll and it split open. I immediately saw a shiny silver rim. I pulled a couple of halves out and found a brilliant 1958 Ben. Right behind it was a 1970...my first! However it just kept getting better. The following is a summary of what I found:

15 1958 Ben's
27 1961 Ben's
16 1963 Ben's

And>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

47 Brilliant white 1970D's
15 1970s proofs

I am amazed by this find. Also, I have no idea what the value of the 70d and 70s are...but WOW!!!!!!

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 727
Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Ya see my point peeps????? This is beginners luck at it's finest. Congrats on an amaizing find.

Golden Silver

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
That is certainly a nice find. First time I've heard it happening with all those 1970 coins. You might get some trades for them here on treasurenet as you probably don't need that many. A couple 90% halves per minty 70d seems fair. I see a buy it know on ebay of $280 a roll for them.

Maine_Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
:o :o :o There is an epidemic of beginners luck going around. Truly amazing finds. Everytime I turn on the computer there is yet another find of a lifetime.
This will be the next score:
Green Member
Posts 1
I've been following the posts on this site for the past 12 years and I finally broke down to give it a try so I bought a roll of nickels. Well I was really very disappointed to find that all of these nickels were gold colored, had a picture of Queen Victoria on the front and Michael slaying a dragon on the back. I was hoping for some buffalo nickels and got stuck with these.
Are these foreign coins worth anything? :laughing7:

Great score on the Halves :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Fantastic pics too !!
HH
Rich

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Another crazy score by a beginner! Sure wish I could begin again. Congrats on that crazy find of multiple '70's, I think I'd tuck 'em away for retirement! ffd

OP
OP
C

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
Clarification, this is not beginners luck. I have been searching halves for about five years. I had recently given up on them and started on dimes. However I always ask if they have half dollars. Coincidentally, this is the same BOA where I scored $280 in 40 percenters five years ago. Now that was beginner's luck. ;D

At some point I will probably be interested in trading some of the 70D's. Not sure what to do with the 70s. I guess they are now considered "impaired". Any thoughts?

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. If you want to trade for any of those 70's let me know. I have yet to find one, and would like one

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
WOW! As for the 1970's not sure of Mint marks but saw roll on the Bay go for over $400 few months ago. Looks to me you have near 2K in finds, WOW.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen loads of scores on this site, but none that looks this sweet! :icon_salut:

Fab score. I am just shaking my head!!! A BIG Congrats!!!

apush :read2:

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Either one, the Franklins or the 70s, would be a huge score by itself, but both in one stop is very impressive.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER!!!!! ;)

Don't need more newbies.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Banner - I'm not pushing for it but you know if this was dug out of the ground...it would be up there in a minute. That could also go for a lot of the other finds here in the CRH world. But some of those things that get dug up out of the ground are really pretty cool and have inspired me to start looking at getting my first metal detector. The finds they make in Europe in those plowed fields are unbelievable.

Maine_Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
No Banner is needed though it may be banner worthy. It is a great find. But do you really want more competition???

Golden Silver

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
I AM SPEECHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM ALSO CRYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hh, and happy 4th.
congrats on the find of a lifetime!

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys and Gals. My banner comment was a joke... A little CRH humor.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Great score.

You should expect no less than $8 ea. for the 70D's

Finding 1 in the wild is DREAMY. Finding 47 is well phenomenal....... WOW.... The Benz are awesome as well.

Thanks for the eye candy and another reason for me to squirm. I am absolutely itching right now. Unbelievable!

Congratulations.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread