Half-Hound Found: 1872 Trade Dollar *** UPDATE ***

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
November 10, 2010
(U.S. Marine Corps Birthday)

Update on Trade Dollar Pattern Coin: It is counterfeit.

I spoke with a buyer from a reputable coin dealer who within seconds of seeing an online .jpg image of the coin made her decision. She said the coin probably is silver, and could have been made yesterday or 100 years ago. The conversation was OVER!

The coin is still an interesting piece to me, if to no one else. Thanks everyone for sharing my story.

Half-Hound (199 Silver Halves, 12 Silver Dimes, 1 Silver Quarter... and 1 FAKE 1872 Trade Dollar!)

************************************************************************************************************

November 5th, 2010
Los Angeles, California

I don’t have much to say here – and I wouldn’t blame anyone for not believing it!

I called a bank close to my bus/train route home. I was told they had $100 in halves. When I got there I found out they had $170 worth. Of course I wanted them all. I had no cash – not a single dollar. I needed to withdraw funds from my savings account to buy the coins.

I mentioned to the young teller (Jackie) that collecting coins is my hobby. She then told me she had two old coins, and asked me if I wanted them, too. She pulled these two dollar coins (see the photographs) from her drawer. I had to pay for them with four clad halves that she had just given me.

The oldest silver dollar is an 1872 Trade Dollar, I have never seen a coin like this before.

The take:

1872 Trade Dollar
1924 S Peace Dollar
1939 S Mercury Dime
1951 S Franklin Half
1964 D Kennedy Halves (2)
1966 Kennedy Halves (3)
1967 Kennedy Halves (2)

And that’s the way it was.

Half-Hound
1.jpg

Attachments

• LITE Trade Dollar Obverse.jpg
    LITE Trade Dollar Obverse.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,664
  • LITE Trade Dollar Reverse.jpg
    LITE Trade Dollar Reverse.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,318
  • LITE Dollar Pair Obverse.jpg
    LITE Dollar Pair Obverse.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,885
  • LITE Dollar Pair Reverse.jpg
    LITE Dollar Pair Reverse.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,562
Upvote 0

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
AGCoinHunter said:
Historyhound said:
Nice score. Although the chances are very high that it is counterfit, I would still take a gamble and send it off to ANACS. I wouldn't take anyones opinion based on just looking at a picture. Nice!

No offense but I wouldnt waste the money doing this.

Agreed. See, 80% of you got excited for nothing :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread