What is the Most Exclusive Club in CRH?

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say flying eagle cent in a cent roll would be the most exclusive. Maybe IH since people usually only find them once-twice a year.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been hunting halves since 2010 and still haven't found a barber or older. It has to happen sooner or later. Found an old 90% commemorative half dollar, a new 90% commemorative half dollar, 2 barber dimes (one was an ender), but never anything super old.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most exclusive club is the one where rarity meets value. It's great finding silver for face, and it's cool finding coins you normally wouldn't encounter in a hunt like a silver proof or a slick barber, but I think key dates, varieties, and errors take the cake. They require knowledge, time, patience, and tons of luck. Most of us don't have half that.
I've had a batch of cents sitting on my armoire for a long time that could have one coin in it worth more than all the silver I've found in the last month hunting over 100 boxes of half dollars. Only members of the most exclusive club in coin roll hunting can turn one cent, copper or zinc, into gold.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most exclusive club is the one where rarity meets value. It's great finding silver for face, and it's cool finding coins you normally wouldn't encounter in a hunt like a silver proof or a slick barber, but I think key dates, varieties, and errors take the cake. They require knowledge, time, patience, and tons of luck. Most of us don't have half that.
I've had a batch of cents sitting on my armoire for a long time that could have one coin in it worth more than all the silver I've found in the last month hunting over 100 boxes of half dollars. Only members of the most exclusive club in coin roll hunting can turn one cent, copper or zinc, into gold.

I agree that finding a key date or rare error or variety is the most exclusive club. That's what I'm looking for when I hunt cents - copper is cool (used to be anyway), wheats are fun, but an 09svdb, 22 plain, 55 doubled die or the king of CRH - a 69s dbl die would be the ultimate find. I know a few of those have been found by members of this forum (not the 69s that I've heard of).

A gold coin in a roll would be pretty dang sweet too! I remember a while back someone pulled a $2 1/2 indian from a cent roll once.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gold coin in a roll would be pretty dang sweet too! I remember a while back someone pulled a $2 1/2 indian from a cent roll once.

My quarter eagle was found in a dime roll. That's as close as I've been to exclusive...and that took colossal amounts of luck twice. Once to get the box with it in it, twice discovering it on top of the discard bucket contents. I'll never let my friend forget that he almost threw away my best coin roll hunting find.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say its the "Seated Liberty" coins (dimes, qtrs, half), only because they have been replaced with at least four later series of coinage mintages., I.e.dimes=seated, barbers, mercury, then rosies(of today). Since doing CRH over the past five years, I've been lucky enough to have found two, both of which were in MWR boxes from two different banks, one in Fine+ condition, the other very worn about good.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I would say its the "Seated Liberty" coins (dimes, qtrs, half), only because they have been replaced with at least four later series of coinage mintages., I.e.dimes=seated, barbers, mercury, then rosies(of today). Since doing CRH over the past five years, I've been lucky enough to have found two, both of which were in MWR boxes from two different banks, one in Fine+ condition, the other very worn about good.

Yup agreed.
I found a large cent once in a half bag. That's the other thing I'd mention, colonial coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread