From hobby to operation, with the ultimate dump bank. A Newbies Story. Utah CRH

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From hobby to operation, with the ultimate dump bank. A Newbie's Story. Utah CRH

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to Coin Roll Hunting. I first found out about Copper Pennies a couple weeks ago while searching for things about silver investing, which somehow led to me finding out about Silver Halves and such. I sorted through all my change for about 3 rolls of Copper pennies, then decided to go to my bank and ask for halves. The first one they showed me was a 1969 40%. To which I replied "oh my gosh, I want that!" They had 3 40% halves. I soon began checking all around Utah County at every bank I could get myself to, and ended up amassing 2 Silver Dimes(1 from a Coinstar tray), 1 Silver Quarter, 4 40% Halves, 1 90% Half, 25 Clad Ikes, and about 5 more rolls of Copper Pennies.

I've gone through 90 mostly skunk rolls of bank ordered Half Dollars(only find was a 2001 Clad-S), but just today, I opened an account at the ULTIMATE dump bank, Zion's Bank in Utah. They will accept any amount of bulk coinage, mixed or single denomination, bag it, and send it to their headquarters in Salt Lake City where it is counted and then put in my account. That alone has allowed this new hobby of mine to turn into a full scale operation. I now intend to search at least $2,000 in halves every 2 weeks, or more if I can find more source banks. Really the only limitation now is how much I can carry in my backpack in a single dump.

I read somewhere that consistency and volume are the keys to finding the silver coins and overcoming the skunks. Anyone have any specific tips for the Utah County area? I'm in the Federal Reserve District of San Francisco.

Upvote 0

alanlee87

Greenie
Feb 4, 2011
Re: From hobby to operation, with the ultimate dump bank. A Newbie's Story.

oh no! competition in utah! where are u from? which banks do you go to?

I live in Provo (I go to BYU). I get 2 boxes of halves a week.

so you're the one taking all my silver coins!!!!!

is that for ANY Zions bank or just a certain branch because if that is true..... I might have to look into picking up another dump bank.

At the moment I dump all my coins at a chase bank. I put my 1k of halves each week in a big plastic bag they give me then they ship em out for counting and then they deposit it into my account. If they start giving me trouble, I'll go to Zion's bank.

Are you getting anything good from your boxes of halves? for every 2 boxes I average 1 90% AND 2 40%. I'm hoping that my averages go up since I've only searched through a little bit.

So far this year I've looked through: $4589.50 in halves. 4k in boxes and the rest in loose coins.

I've gotten:
3 90%
9 40%
1 Proof

HH,

Alan

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mleblanc138 said:
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to Coin Roll Hunting. I first found out about Copper Pennies a couple weeks ago while searching for things about silver investing, which somehow led to me finding out about Silver Halves and such. I sorted through all my change for about 3 rolls of Copper pennies, then decided to go to my bank and ask for halves. The first one they showed me was a 1969 40%. To which I replied "oh my gosh, I want that!" They had 3 40% halves. I soon began checking all around Utah County at every bank I could get myself to, and ended up amassing 2 Silver Dimes(1 from a Coinstar tray), 1 Silver Quarter, 4 40% Halves, 1 90% Half, 25 Clad Ikes, and about 5 more rolls of Copper Pennies.

I've gone through 90 mostly skunk rolls of bank ordered Half Dollars(only find was a 2001 Clad-S), but just today, I opened an account at the ULTIMATE dump bank, Zion's Bank in Utah. They will accept any amount of bulk coinage, mixed or single denomination, bag it, and send it to their headquarters in Salt Lake City where it is counted and then put in my account. That alone has allowed this new hobby of mine to turn into a full scale operation. I now intend to search at least $2,000 in halves every 2 weeks, or more if I can find more source banks. Really the only limitation now is how much I can carry in my backpack in a single dump.

I read somewhere that consistency and volume are the keys to finding the silver coins and overcoming the skunks. Anyone have any specific tips for the Utah County area? I'm in the Federal Reserve District of San Francisco.

Need to be careful on how much you deposit at any given time. I read somewhere that they have lowered the limits that raise the proverbial red flag to around 9,000. There was a member on here that received a visit from NCIS (seriously) because of the amount
he was dumping each week.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NCIS? Really? C'mon folks they only investigate military personnel.

I've been upfront and honest with my dump bank and my supply banks for years, I also keep very accurate records of the money trail. But I have never been visited by anybody. Oh yeah by the way the tellers at my dump bank all call me by my 1st name and even gave my son a Christmas present.

My average dump is over 9k.

OP
OP
mleblanc138

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

alanlee87 said:
oh no! competition in utah! where are u from? which banks do you go to?

I live in Provo (I go to BYU). I get 2 boxes of halves a week.

so you're the one taking all my silver coins!!!!!

is that for ANY Zions bank or just a certain branch because if that is true..... I might have to look into picking up another dump bank.

At the moment I dump all my coins at a chase bank. I put my 1k of halves each week in a big plastic bag they give me then they ship em out for counting and then they deposit it into my account. If they start giving me trouble, I'll go to Zion's bank.

Are you getting anything good from your boxes of halves? for every 2 boxes I average 1 90% AND 2 40%. I'm hoping that my averages go up since I've only searched through a little bit.

So far this year I've looked through: $4589.50 in halves. 4k in boxes and the rest in loose coins.

I've gotten:
3 90%
9 40%
1 Proof

HH,

Alan

I live in Orem, across the freeway from UVU. The Zion's that offered to do that is the one by University Mall. I mentioned that my rolls so far were essentially skunks, but now I can ramp up searching drastically, so hopefully I'll rake in the silver before my mission.

I've hit most of the banks from American Fork to Payson. With the exception of a few in Orem, the ones by BYU, the ones in SW Payson, and the ones in Salem.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

The ULTIMATE dump bank idea isn't new. Out here in Cali, BofA has the same arrangement. HOWEVER, do you really trust them to count your money and give you the correct deposit? I've gotten boxes from these coin sorting facilities that are short coin more often than not. Dimes are notorious. I don't trust them at all. I usually sort, roll, & weigh my coins and bring them back to exchange for cash right away. I don't trust them at all. Once, I exchanged box of $500 dimes and $30 in pennies for cash with a Wells Fargo out here and they later said I was off by $10.70. That's a lot to be off by. I had to argue to them to get the refund. But these companies are a joke. I suspect they just literally nickel and dime counts so more unsuspecting people don't notice.

For me, it's better to sort, count, roll, & weigh to be accurrate and exchange for cash immediate. DON'T TRUST THOSE MACHINES.

OP
OP
mleblanc138

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SFBayArea said:
The ULTIMATE dump bank idea isn't new. Out here in Cali, BofA has the same arrangement. HOWEVER, do you really trust them to count your money and give you the correct deposit? I've gotten boxes from these coin sorting facilities that are short coin more often than not. Dimes are notorious. I don't trust them at all. I usually sort, roll, & weigh my coins and bring them back to exchange for cash right away. I don't trust them at all. Once, I exchanged box of $500 dimes and $30 in pennies for cash with a Wells Fargo out here and they later said I was off by $10.70. That's a lot to be off by. I had to argue to them to get the refund. But these companies are a joke. I suspect they just literally nickel and dime counts so more unsuspecting people don't notice.

For me, it's better to sort, count, roll, & weigh to be accurrate and exchange for cash immediate. DON'T TRUST THOSE MACHINES.

Well, I would know how much coin I have based on the amount of my order minus the number of coins I keep. I could even keep my order receipts if I needed too. B of A is a huge national bank, while Zion's only runs in Utah and Idaho. And I would honestly rather get nickeled and dimed once or twice while completely outsourcing the rerolling instead of me getting a sure 100% but having to reroll myself. And you did get your refund anyway. Even at my salary of $7.50 an hour, it would take a fairly significant amount to make rerolling by hand worth my time.

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

47thelement said:

I've been upfront and honest with my dump bank and my supply banks for years, I also keep very accurate records of the money trail. But I have never been visited by anybody. Oh yeah by the way the tellers at my dump bank all call me by my 1st name and even gave my son a Christmas present.

I believe he was/is in the military.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

mleblanc138 said:
SFBayArea said:

Well, I would know how much coin I have based on the amount of my order minus the number of coins I keep. I could even keep my order receipts if I needed too. B of A is a huge national bank, while Zion's only runs in Utah and Idaho. And I would honestly rather get nickeled and dimed once or twice while completely outsourcing the rerolling instead of me getting a sure 100% but having to reroll myself. And you did get your refund anyway. Even at my salary of $7.50 an hour, it would take a fairly significant amount to make rerolling by hand worth my time.

I hear you.. I thought about it too.. but for me, it's just the idea of them short changing me all the time. I got tired of it. You really feel like they're running a scam and that people don't notice. I just don't want them to get away with it. It's like that movie "Office Space" where they came up with a plan to take a penny from all accounts so they end up with a bunch of money at the end.

As for dimes, I get the clear wraps so I don't re-roll. I re-roll for pennies & halves because I need the cash to get more from a order bank immediately.

I did get my money back that one time but who knows it could happen again and what will they say the next time?

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010

47thelement said:

He was in the military. Here's a link to the thread if you want to read it:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,293366.0.html

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I apologize.

I thank our service men and women, both current and veteran for our freedoms.

Given the info from the this thread I had no idea this hunter has volunteered to defend our flag and country.

Thank you to those who have corrected me.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town

mleblanc138 said:
SFBayArea said:

OK newbie, here is some knowledge to put in your piggy bank. The amount of coin to deposit should be counted. Rolls are short and when road trips are added in you honestly forget how much you have O/H. Counting is essential. You also have to determine how much money am I being shorted and is it worth it to argue. Sometimes it is sometimes it isn’t.
Rerolling is honestly not hard. Your setup would be a pain for me because I get more boxes and need the cash flow. I guess it works if you’re getting less boxes, but rewrapping coins is not hard. Justifying $7.50 an hour as a significant wage and that you’ll need to pull a large amount of silver to justify doing it….you know that’s 2 40%s? I can search and reroll 2 boxes and on a rare occasion find less than 2 40%s in 2 boxes.

And you will care about nickeled and dimed on money because it will happen many times. You’ll get there.

spjegues

Apr 22, 2010
ID, UT, NV

As someone who does about ~ 5000 a week in half's - Zions does have a limit to dumping . It only takes about 1500 dollars at a time for them to start to cut you off (over a couple of weeks period time) . This is a heavily searched area. I ran into a CRH at a local bank and he said he was doing about about 20 boxes a week $ 50,000 a month . I of course don't want to discourage you at all but keep you eye out for the black dot guy and the black slash guy and you will know what I mean . Those guys are doing serious volume.

good luck

Spjegues

OP
OP
mleblanc138

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't forget the black X guy. I'm seeing quite a few marked coins in my rolls. And I found a 40% at the same bank I found my franklin 90%, also from a lucky teller tray.

spjegues

Apr 22, 2010
ID, UT, NV

mleblanc138 said:
Don't forget the black X guy. I'm seeing quite a few marked coins in my rolls. And I found a 40% at the same bank I found my franklin 90%, also from a lucky teller tray.
The black slash guy is the black x guy. He first marks with a slash and then when he gets the coin again he crosses it to make a x. I have seen it where he has 2 1/2 slashes . 2 full x's and a slash . I have found his coins all over the place even outside of the Utah area into the Idaho Area.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

spjegues said:
As someone who does about ~ 5000 a week in half's - Zions does have a limit to dumping . It only takes about 1500 dollars at a time for them to start to cut you off (over a couple of weeks period time) . This is a heavily searched area. I ran into a CRH at a local bank and he said he was doing about about 20 boxes a week $ 50,000 a month . I of course don't want to discourage you at all but keep you eye out for the black dot guy and the black slash guy and you will know what I mean . Those guys are doing serious volume.

good luck

Spjegues

20 boxes a week.. wow.. he hasn't dried up your area? You're in a small population area? I'm just shocked. You would think he would deplete your area.

spjegues

Apr 22, 2010
ID, UT, NV

SFBayArea said:
spjegues said:

good luck

Spjegues

20 boxes a week.. wow.. he hasn't dried up your area? You're in a small population area? I'm just shocked. You would think he would deplete your area.

I think he might have dried it up. I used to average 10 silvers a box 6-8 months ago. Now i am averaging 2 per $2000 . I think all the silver I get now is people turning it in fresh and not in the system. From my own marking of coins <already marked before I mark them> I am getting my own dumps in about a 3 week turn around time. The higher silver price has really motivated people to search and has brought out the big players.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

spjegues said:
SFBayArea said:
spjegues said:

good luck

Spjegues

I think he might have dried it up. I used to average 10 silvers a box 6-8 months ago. Now i am averaging 2 per $2000 . I think all the silver I get now is people turning it in fresh and not in the system. From my own marking of coins <already marked before I mark them> I am getting my own dumps in about a 3 week turn around time. The higher silver price has really motivated people to search and has brought out the big players.

I PMed you about it.. let me know what you think.. If you're getting lots of skunks now.. so must he. Wonder if he's still doing 20 boxes a week. I wonder how much he's accumulated.

Felixaaron

Jan 1, 2011

I served my mission in Korea. Good to know we have some fellow LDS hunters in here.

20 boxes a week is a ton of halves. I have 5 boxes on order a week and plan to up it to 10 because dimes are getting weaker for me lately.

Good luck ousting the slash bandit. I think I have seen his coins here in also.

OP
OP
mleblanc138

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of those guys has a machine to sort the coins. I found it out when I first started from either the Key or Bank of AF by University Mall. He had bought out Key's $600 before I got there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread