From hobby to operation, with the ultimate dump bank. A Newbies Story. Utah CRH

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From hobby to operation, with the ultimate dump bank. A Newbie's Story. Utah CRH

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to Coin Roll Hunting. I first found out about Copper Pennies a couple weeks ago while searching for things about silver investing, which somehow led to me finding out about Silver Halves and such. I sorted through all my change for about 3 rolls of Copper pennies, then decided to go to my bank and ask for halves. The first one they showed me was a 1969 40%. To which I replied "oh my gosh, I want that!" They had 3 40% halves. I soon began checking all around Utah County at every bank I could get myself to, and ended up amassing 2 Silver Dimes(1 from a Coinstar tray), 1 Silver Quarter, 4 40% Halves, 1 90% Half, 25 Clad Ikes, and about 5 more rolls of Copper Pennies.

I've gone through 90 mostly skunk rolls of bank ordered Half Dollars(only find was a 2001 Clad-S), but just today, I opened an account at the ULTIMATE dump bank, Zion's Bank in Utah. They will accept any amount of bulk coinage, mixed or single denomination, bag it, and send it to their headquarters in Salt Lake City where it is counted and then put in my account. That alone has allowed this new hobby of mine to turn into a full scale operation. I now intend to search at least $2,000 in halves every 2 weeks, or more if I can find more source banks. Really the only limitation now is how much I can carry in my backpack in a single dump.

I read somewhere that consistency and volume are the keys to finding the silver coins and overcoming the skunks. Anyone have any specific tips for the Utah County area? I'm in the Federal Reserve District of San Francisco.

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Re: From hobby to operation, with the ultimate dump bank. A Newbie's Story.

mleblanc138 said:
One of those guys has a machine to sort the coins. I found it out when I first started from either the Key or Bank of AF by University Mall. He had bought out Key's $600 before I got there.

You don't need a machine to search a large quantity of halves.. They can be spotted easily. If only halves were wrapped in clear plastic. Searching a box would be done in five minutes.

OP
OP
mleblanc138

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: From hobby to operation, with the ultimate dump bank. A Newbie's Story. Utah CRH

I've heard stories of people missing some 40%s and even 90%s by just edge searching. You would also miss out on proofs, NIFCs, and key dates. I suppose it's worth missing a few to move faster if you're doing 20+ boxes a week, but I'm limited by what I can carry on a single dump, so 5 boxes a week would be my absolute max, and that would require a perfect network of source banks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread