Some CRHing tips for newbies

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Although the often cited CRHing Commandments are good ideas to follow to keep the banks from getting mad or otherwise ruining the outlook for CRHing in general, I have thought of a few ideas that might help some newer CRHers increase their amount of finds. Since I was only a hunter of halves, this is geared more towards that search. I am basically retired now because my area is super saturated with CRHers and the finds are too meager to justify ordering boxes or making trips to banks just looking for halves. Hopefully many of you still have decent areas to search.

1. Find good dump banks with coin counters. Easier said than done sometimes, but I find that the dumping process is way, way, way more difficult than the buying process. I used to have banks offer to buy me boxes all the time when I would stroll in asking for rolls (even when I did not have an account there). Now I am not saying they would offer to order several boxes, but 1-2 would have been easy. However, I have had banks where I had accounts that had coin counters and I was treated with almost hostility when I would go in with only $700 or so in half dumps. Sometimes when the machine would break while they were running my halves they would basically tell me to not bring any more halves in because their machine could not handle them and it was too expensive to call the repairman to fix. The lucky ones here have found banks that will accept bags of half dollar rejects from the CRHer without the need to use the bank's coin counter. I wish I would have had that opportunity myself. That would be a big timesaver and stress remover.

2. If you find a bank that has customer hand rolls that produce silver on more than one occassion, then most likely that bank does not have cherry picking tellers and said bank will produce over and over. Conversely, if you have a bank that always has customer rolls that never produce, time after time, most likely there are cherry picking tellers. Even if the bank is a dump bank for another CRHer, there should still be some rolls with silver being dropped off by non-CRHers every now and then that would make their way into the mix if the tellers were not picking. If your $$$ and time is limited, avoid buying customer rolls from banks with cherry picking tellers if over time you determine that is going on.

3. ALWAYS take plenty of cash if you are going CRHing. I see posts on there where someone finds some good rolls but cannot buy them all because they don't have enough money on them. I understand that sometimes a person's cash reserve gets low due to bills, etc. But if you want to be successful in this game you need to come up with a decent bank roll and not spend said money on anything but CRHing. Good finds are becoming fewer and fewer as silver prices go up and this hobby gets more popular, don't blow a good find by not having enough cash to buy all the rolls the bank has. If you cannot seem to keep enough cash to do this, sell some of your finds until you have enough of a bank roll. I believe that $1500-$2000 is a decent size to cover whatever amount of halves a bank may have at any given time for the "average" CRHer. Even if you don't carry all that around with you, having it accessible will allow you to purchase entire stashes that a particular bank may have available for you.

4. ALWAYS ask for large dollar coins (never say silver dollars) when you go to a bank looking for halves. Even if your teller doesn't have any, another might. I have scored a couple of real silver dollars doing this. Although rare, it does happen sometimes. You might also get a 40% Ike if you are lucky. If they have some, take them. If they turn out no good you can cash them in at your dump bank. I have had tellers for the most part like it when I bring in Ikes because they told me they had customers waiting to buy any of them that came in. Once or twice I had a teller whine about them, but even then not as much as they would having to run a large amount of halves.

5. If you are at a bank and you see some silver (in the till, etc) don't start freaking out and acting too interested. If you act too over-excited about coins the teller has she/he might decide they are worth keeping and you will not get them. Also, if you get too over-excited you might lose some self-control and start acting like an a$$ trying to score said silver.

6. When a teller asks why you want the coins the best (and truthful) answer is that you are a coin collector and like to build year sets of coins (you don't have to tell them the years you like building sets of the most are anything before 1971 in halves). Don't say you are looking for silver or even the "old ones". Too much information and not necessary.

7. Pay your taxes on your profits from CRHing. If you are doing this you should not have to worry if a bank "reports you to the IRS" as some here have talked about recently.

Just a few ideas I had.

Jim

Upvote 0

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great resource for newbies and regulars alike! Thanks for the resource. :thumbsup:

However, for point #7, I won't be selling any of my finds anytime soon and why anyone would need to pay taxes on their CRH profits is beyond me (remember, we are exchanging money we don't want for money we do want -- we are not buying anything).

If you have a Coin Business then I would say yes but taxes and reporting to the IRS on gold and silver sales over $600 for individuals does not go into effect until 2012 (I think this law was built into Obamacare). The banks that threaten this are more annoyed than anything and I highly doubt would ever call the IRS as it is beyond the scope of their duty - they might call the police or file a SAR if anything. I and others pay enough for school taxes, federal taxes, state taxes and sales taxes so the less the government can take or think they are entitled to the better in my opinion.

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Kennedyhunter

Greenie
Feb 17, 2011
What great info for a new hunter. It's absolutely essential that you have a large cash reserve if you can afford it. The more cash that you can dedicate to the hunt, the more potential finds. Keep on recycling that cash pot for more and more halves. Get four boxes, pull the silver, dump the rest, take cash and repeat. When you get enough silver, sell them then use that cash to buy more.

Great comments, thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions