Nickle guys, I have a question

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
As "barber" nickels were never minted, I believe this is what you may have seen -->
Liberty-Head-V-Nickel-Values.jpg

I'd only buy the nickels dated before 1900 at that price. Anything newer (excluding the valuable 1912 s) can be had 3 for a dollar at my local coin shop. Heres a price guide that albeit dated is still fairly accurate.

http://coins.about.com/od/coinvalues/l/bl-liberty-head-v-nickel-values.htm

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I refer to them as "v" Nickels (v meaning 5, as on the back of the coin)
Some refer to them as liberty nickels though.
I'd say $1 is a fair price for one in Good condition(liberty worn off or partly visible)
The rare dates in the series are 1886 and 1912s.
1912d is worth $4 in good condition.

All nickels were minted in philadelphia(no mint mark) until 1912(the last year they were minted) which were also minted in denver(semi-rare) and san francisco(rare)

Hope this helps.

-BuffaloBoy
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
T-Candy said:
As "barber" nickels were never minted, I believe this is what you may have seen -->
Liberty-Head-V-Nickel-Values.jpg

I'd only buy the nickels dated before 1900 at that price. Anything newer (excluding the valuable 1912 s) can be had 3 for a dollar at my local coin shop. Heres a price guide that albeit dated is still fairly accurate.

http://coins.about.com/od/coinvalues/l/bl-liberty-head-v-nickel-values.htm

True, however the designer of the Liberty Nickel was Charles Barber, and they are referred to as Barber Nickels occasionally. Unless the coins at this shop are in very nice shape then I would pass on the price. Most likely they are About Good to Good examples which can be had for around a dollar or less for common dates.

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
^

"During his tenure Barber designed the 1883 Liberty Head nickel and the 1892 dime, quarter, and half dollar which became known by his name."

You learn something new everyday. Thanks doctor. :read2:

http://www.squidoo.com/barberdime <-- history of Charles Barber's dime engravings / short biography

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Agree with everyone's opinion on this one. I'd only pay $2 for any of them in decent shape before 1890 or so -- the common dates aren't even worth a buck each. The rarest date is 1885 BTW -- worth about $400 in beat up shape. Look for a 1912 with the S mintmark on the reverse. Also, the Hawai Five Oh coin was a 1913 Liberty (V) nic. There are only five or so known from 1913, and they are worth a million or more! If you find one of those, it would be pretty dreamy :)

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
What year was the Hawaii Five-O nickel? Really rare. Or was that a gold coin.
It was a 1913 V nickel. The Olsen specimen (PCGS Prf-64).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions