not trying to make waves, but!!!!

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the banks start charging us for picking up coins and dont charge all there other customers the same amount when they pick up all there daily coin needs then i would think that sounds like discimination, and discrimination is illegal. they could be in a world of hurt if someone pushed the issue. are the banks trying to take advantage of us. sure would like to hear what you think. suprdave

Upvote 0

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011
You might get somewhere with a bank's customer relations department on that, but not with their legal people. They would not be discriminating based on race, gender, national origin, sexual preference or any other recognized catagory of absolutely VERBOTEN discrimination; what they'd be doing is saying "leave my place of business if you don't like the deal" and that is still permitted. It might or might not make good business sense, but it isn't illegal.

Best to maintain good relations with your local tellers or bank manager, and/or to have several pick-up banks.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
We are victims of our own greed. There is a difference between a Mom and Pop going into the bank for their change needs at their store versus one of us ordering 10 boxes of halves. The banks know we are searching and dumping as fast as we can. The increase in coin orders are causing the armoured car companies to add more deliveries,employees etc. When their costs go up, they pass it along to the banks. The banks only have one way to get paid for their increase in coin costs. Pass the fees along to the biggest offenders. I have been paying fees for a long time now. Fortunately I am finding enough silver to cover my expenses. If I don't find $56 worth of silver each week, this hobby becomes a royal pain in the a$$. I get 12 boxes a week from one bank. I don't expect them to order them for free. The visual of a 100 pound teller wheeling out 300 pounds of halves is not that humorous to me. I can feel your pain but when you sit down and realize what we are able to do, it is a nice hobby. Jim

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a big city and there is no problem to place an order because the armour truck charges a flat fee and it's very close to the Fed. However, dumping is always an issue. One dump bank want to charge $3 per bag; Another dump bank is pushing me to open a business account for my dumping.

da1984

Apr 3, 2009
Discrimination is only illegal if you are a protected class (race, religion, etc.). CRHers are not a protected class, therefore, even though it is discrimination, it is not illegal.

suprdave said:
if the banks start charging us for picking up coins and dont charge all there other customers the same amount when they pick up all there daily coin needs then i would think that sounds like discimination, and discrimination is illegal. they could be in a world of hurt if someone pushed the issue. are the banks trying to take advantage of us. sure would like to hear what you think. suprdave

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that if you ask, you'll find out that all business customers pay a fee for coin and currency that they get at the bank. The last time I knew, the charge was $.07 per roll, but that was about 15 years ago. I'm sure it's gone up by now. If you are good friends with someone in business that goes through a lot of change, ask them about it. They'll know.

Scott

kat_wsale

Apr 17, 2011
srcdco said:
I believe that if you ask, you'll find out that all business customers pay a fee for coin and currency that they get at the bank. The last time I knew, the charge was $.07 per roll, but that was about 15 years ago. I'm sure it's gone up by now. If you are good friends with someone in business that goes through a lot of change, ask them about it. They'll know.

Scott
I got a business account and they said it would be .08 cents a roll. Funny cuz i wasnt a member and would walk in twice a week and pick up 750-1k in dimes and was never charged, I talked them down to 1.00 for a 1k bag of .50. I will pay 1 penny a roll just so i dotn have to unroll them. :-)

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
da1984 said:
Discrimination is only illegal if you are a protected class (race, religion, etc.). CRHers are not a protected class, therefore, even though it is discrimination, it is not illegal.
Hmmm, maybe we just need our own religion... What would we call ourselves?

Assembly of Coin Roll Hunters?

The United Church of CRH?

or maybe we just need chapters of Coin Roll Hunters Anonymous to help us control the addiction :help:

Bob

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
kb4iqm said:
da1984 said:
Hmmm, maybe we just need our own religion... What would we call ourselves?

Assembly of Coin Roll Hunters?

The United Church of CRH?

or maybe we just need chapters of Coin Roll Hunters Anonymous to help us control the addiction :help:

Bob
Amen!

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
coins are a service and they have the option of charging or not. Free market capitalism works best to keep prices down when it makes the bank more money [they want your business] .Of course if it costs the banks more money then they will charge . The bottom line is does your "business" make or lose money for the bank?
This question of course brings into play the diffrence between the pigs and the hogs of this hobby.Those who dont care will cause a drain on the banks resources untill the point banks say no more. Those who fly under the radar will help keep this hobby going longer.
How your parents raised you comes into play, do you park in the fire zone or take up 2 spots, do you leave perishables [at the supermarket] to get ruined when you decide you dont want them, do you talk on your phone in a movie theatre,or my favorite , do you [by choice] pull into the box when trafic is at a standstill so now your blocking traffic the other way? If so you may be a hog who doesnt care if their actions help cause the end to this hobby.

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
This sounds like the person that comes into the place everyday for a free glass of water, doesn't buy anything and then gets ticked off when the place starts charging a nickel for the glass. Banks are a business and exist to make money. There are a few options that you have. Pay the fee, bribe the tellers with pizza, doughnuts or candy or go elsewhere. I don't know why some CRHers have this sense of entitlement. Would you go into into an ice cream shop and expect free ice cream? Do you go to the grocery store and expect free groceries? Rant over. Sorry but I cannot stand folks with their hands out. HH all.

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess its all about the hunt and sometimes it cost us a litle more to play the game but what a great hobby we have suprdave

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Really though, if you want to look at it in an economic sense, you are doing the banks a favor. Their numbers are down. I know this for a fact. Jobs are scarce. You are keeping people in jobs and making sure that more than one person has to make the delivery. I feel like you are real patriotic Americans, taking care of the economic situation as it is. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread