Are you emotionally attached to your CRH silver?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
When I started in this hobby, my plan was to find millions of dollars worth of silver, sell it, and invest in high yield dividend paying stocks, and retire early. ;D

I had originally set my sell price for my silver at $50.

Recently, I seriously considered trading my 40%ers for 90%'s.

Then it dawned on me...I can't sell my CRH finds.

You see, when I first started CRH, it was just me doing the hunting. Soon after I started, my 10 year old daughter started helping, and just a few months into the hobby, my wife has become a silver seeker too.

We almost always open our rolls together as a family, at the kitchen table, that is, unless, I just can't wait to open a few rolls in the car. This past weekend, I had to promise my little one that I would save 10 rolls of halves out of our weekly box for her to open, since she was at a slumber party at Grandma's house! Finding silver has become a fun activity for us, and we always yell "SILVER" really loudly when we find it. The little one made up a 'silver dance' that she performs, too, which is pretty funny.

So, as I seriously contemplated trading up and or selling my finds, it came over me. "I can't sell this stuff. I've become too emotionally attached to these coins."

As I look through the small stash, I see the Ben that I found with the little one on a late Saturday night, the two 40's that my wife and I got at a bank branch in the armpit of the big city, the Merc we found recently, the Roosie that the little one found in the first roll she opened, and the 64 Ken that the little one found and asked "Daddy, is this silver?" It is as if each coin we've found could tell a story about our hunts together.

FWIW, our silver stash is small. In fact, many of you found more silver in the month of April than we've found since starting this fun hobby seven months ago. I assure you, after 18 straight skunk boxes of halves, and $5100+ in straight skunk dimes, our silver collection is tiny!!!

Has anyone else gotten attached to their silver finds?

Am I crazy for feeling this way?

Upvote 0

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
It's not like a family pet buddy! Yes,remember the fun you had,but move up and have more fun! Teach her how it appreciates,and what a nice car she'll get when she graduates college. Sure,I love the thrill of the hunt,but cash rules!

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My attachment is different. If I ever sold any, the paper I would get in return for them would not go up as silver prices increase.

If you do not need the paper money for day to day operations, don't sell.

HH

Nick

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
CardsNCoins said:
My attachment is different. If I ever sold any, the paper I would get in return for them would not go up as silver prices increase.

If you do not need the paper money for day to day operations, don't sell.

HH

Nick

No plans to sell for a very long time. When I first started, I thought my sell points would be at $50...but I also think silver will increase substanially in the next few years.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
blkcwbyhat said:
It's not like a family pet buddy! Yes,remember the fun you had,but move up and have more fun! Teach her how it appreciates,and what a nice car she'll get when she graduates college. Sure,I love the thrill of the hunt,but cash rules!

Very good point!!!!!

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
Clovis:
I see your point also,as in metal v. paper.. My issue is that you can have cash to invest,diversify,pay a bill,whatever NOW,rather than cross your fingers and hope there is no crash.Imagine you find a 20 dollar bill in the parking lot.Would you frame it as a souvenior,or spend it? If you find a Ben CRH'ing,would you frame it or sell it? Same difference to me,profit either way,regardless of the value of a dollar.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clovis;
Short answer: yes. ::) It happens to me all the time! Each coin is special, the hunt and the score are both rewarding.
However, I had to get over myself and think practically. I don't need the extra cash, so I am sitting on the 90% and culling out the normal 40%ers to convert them to other higher quality coins. I have starter keeping all the really nice examples of 40% coins and am either booking them or keeping them in separate keeper rolls.
I would suggest putting those special coins -- your firsts or the ones that inspire your daughter's "silver-dance" into flips and keep those aside for your family treasures. They are worth more than silver when you think about the memories they bring to you and may bring to your family. I would recommend putting aside the "typical 40%ers" for trading up. Either to 90% or gold coins.
God bless you!
Steve

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It's just harder to sell for me due to the amount of time and labor to find them.

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
Yes, I'm emotionally attached to my crh silver. I've sold silver that I had purchased and I've sold silver that I've found and it hurts a little more to part with the silver I've found.

I think I've even caught myself looking over at the boxes of halves in the passenger seat and giving them a wink.

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
I wasn't attached to my 40% halves and sold them for 6 bucks each. However, I have found that I am attached to those 90% coins. Not sure why, other than they were much harder to find.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope I am not attach to my silver. When I need money I sell some. If silver would have hit the $50 maeked and stay there I would have sold some more......Matt

LiquidAsset

Sep 8, 2010
Somewhere Beautiful......
Detector(s) used
A plethora of gadgets...
Emotional attachment and financial well being do not go hand and hand. Consider this a business and take the profits when needed. If your intention is to allocate your investments via the "market," then stick to your plan. Mine get thrown in bags just waiting patiently to send them to the slaughter house. It is necessary to keep to a portion of your estate in cold hard metal. Hoarding to increase financial wealth is good........ hoarding because of emotional attachment is probably not so good. Then again, I may have no clue....

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
When I started in this hobby, my plan was to find millions of dollars worth of silver, sell it, and invest in high yield dividend paying stocks, and retire early. ;D

I had originally set my sell price for my silver at $50.

Recently, I seriously considered trading my 40%ers for 90%'s.

Then it dawned on me...I can't sell my CRH finds.

You see, when I first started CRH, it was just me doing the hunting. Soon after I started, my 10 year old daughter started helping, and just a few months into the hobby, my wife has become a silver seeker too.

We almost always open our rolls together as a family, at the kitchen table, that is, unless, I just can't wait to open a few rolls in the car. This past weekend, I had to promise my little one that I would save 10 rolls of halves out of our weekly box for her to open, since she was at a slumber party at Grandma's house! Finding silver has become a fun activity for us, and we always yell "SILVER" really loudly when we find it. The little one made up a 'silver dance' that she performs, too, which is pretty funny.

So, as I seriously contemplated trading up and or selling my finds, it came over me. "I can't sell this stuff. I've become too emotionally attached to these coins."

As I look through the small stash, I see the Ben that I found with the little one on a late Saturday night, the two 40's that my wife and I got at a bank branch in the armpit of the big city, the Merc we found recently, the Roosie that the little one found in the first roll she opened, and the 64 Ken that the little one found and asked "Daddy, is this silver?" It is as if each coin we've found could tell a story about our hunts together.

FWIW, our silver stash is small. In fact, many of you found more silver in the month of April than we've found since starting this fun hobby seven months ago. I assure you, after 18 straight skunk boxes of halves, and $5100+ in straight skunk dimes, our silver collection is tiny!!!

Has anyone else gotten attached to their silver finds?

Am I crazy for feeling this way?

I'm the same way with my metal detecting finds. While technically I own nothing that isn't for sale, it would take WAY more money than anyone would pay for me to part with them.

Bottom line is that regardless of what anyone else thinks, its your silver and your memories. Whatever makes you happy and what you feel comfortable with is what you should do. However, I do think that as your collection grows, you will have less attachment to the "lesser" parts of your collection such as the 40%ers.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not as emotionally attached to the crh'd silver I've found. The couple hundred silvers I've found dirtfishing in the last couple years, now that's personal. Never going to sell those!

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
I'm definitely emotionally attached to my coin collections. Silver coins found are a part of that, and more. Now the silver bars, the junk silver coins, and the silver bullion, I'm not so emotionally attached to. They were bought with FRN's and very little effort was involved in aquiring those. I would part with those first if finances or the situation required. Like my coin collections, the value I place on my found silver coins is beyond the base metal value. They represent a lot of time and effort spent by me.

Bob

dougbfromnorthga

Apr 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.. I am very much attached to my CRH finds & CW relics. Would not part with either. Great question. Doug

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009
:hello: :icon_thumright: Great story :icon_sunny:!!!! You comment how much your family enjoys doing it together, then I would keep them. The memories and closeness it brings is priceless in this day and age. Hey, if you don't need the money and your happy, keep them !!!! :icon_sunny:

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I am also very attached to any and all coins that I have found over the last 7 years. I have never sold a thing. I do have to say though that the beauty of this site is that I can go back and read the posts that I made of all of those exciting moments in my crhing career. I actually just went back and did that after seeing this post. All of my memories and excitement are stored here and I get to relive those times every time I read my old stories. Although I haven't sold anything yet it doesn't mean I won't but knowing that I can go back and relive those moments may make it a little easier when I do. Great question and great post.
Gl and hh all,
Frank

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
kb4iqm said:
Now the silver bars, the junk silver coins, and the silver bullion, I'm not so emotionally attached to. They were bought with FRN's and very little effort was involved in aquiring those. I would part with those first if finances or the situation required. Bob

I agree.

I bought a very small quantity of Mercs from my cousin, and a super small quantity of Roosies. I'd sell those coins in a heartbeat if I needed to. I have no emotional attachment to those whatsoever, even though I think they are cool. They were bought as an investment, and as an investment only.

Ashdowney

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I think my husband is emotionally attached to them! Although he has been selling some here and there. I think we are selling a few when silver hits $50.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread