halves and dimes. also proof question (pic)

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011
$500 box of halves netted 5 proofs (2x1972, 2x1977, 1980) and one regular silver 1968

$250 box of dimes netted 4 silver (1959, 1949, 1943, 1934)

this was my first box of halves, up until this point i had only been able to get boxes of dimes which have treated me well. otherwise halves are scarce around these parts. i now have a bank ordering boxes for me. i have more waiting for me at the bank

so my question is, what to do with these proofs? is five to a box average? they are in good shape, but obviously circulated (as seen in the picture). i come into the game for silver and dont consider myself a huge coin collector, but are they at least worth hanging on to? i have no local coin shops, but if i ever venture to one would they buy them for more than 50 cents?

the taking from my first box of halves ever
photo15.jpg

total silver take for the day
photo14.jpg

Upvote 0

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
awesome finds!!!!! i would definitely keep those proofs, they are really nice condition, and older proofs too! i aerage about 1 proof evey 14-15 boxes!!! so great box! keep it up and hh!

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't save proofs unless they are silver. Then I trade them to collectors.

I'm only in it for the silver as well.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep them. I have done ~$4000 in halves and never got a proof, but got silver. I think proofs are rarer than silver itself meant for circulation. A silver proof is extremely rare.

OP
OP
P

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011
thanks for the advise guys. for the $2.50 i paid for them i might as well hang on to them until i can find someone that wants them.

have a good day!

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
I'm a collector, so I've been working on a set of proofs as well as my normal set of Kennedys. It does help that I can truthfully say I'm trying to fill up my coin album when I'm in a bank getting half dollars. I still need the 1970 for my "business strike" set of Kennedy. But anyway I hope to complete my proof set someday from circulation and trades (for face value)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions