Record breaking box of dimes (first jackpot)

YuriyV

Jul 12, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I picked up a box of $250 worth of dimes. Usually my find rate for dimes is 0.0005 in average (i.e. 1.25 silver dime/$250).
First opened roll from first bunch of 10 rolls produced '68 50%er! I noticed that each roll is having mainly old coins. Finally I opened next one and immediately noticed two silvers. Then one more and more. Four 80% silver dimes were there. Every coins in the roll was old. Latest was 1978 (see the picture). Other rolls from the bunch gave 2 more silvers. Total 8 for $50 roll bunch.

Attachments

• DSC_0135.JPG
    DSC_0135.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 805
  • DSC_0136.JPG
    DSC_0136.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 890
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score!!! I hear CRH is harder in canada, is this true? I heard Canada culls silver(government)

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
BuffaloBoy said:
Awesome score!!! I hear CRH is harder in canada, is this true? I heard Canada culls silver(government)
I've heard that too -even for the Ni ones :o. Rim searching might be a little more difficult, as they'd all look similar, but that might also deter roll searchers... so you never know.

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled a 1943 80% Canadian Silver Dime in Utah of all places. So it looks like the Canadian government still has a lot to pull out of circulation :laughing7:. I also got a 1980 99.9% Ni Canadian Nickel once.

LeoTrench-MAINE

Aug 7, 2011
Americas Maritime Province
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tre Bien!!!!

Might have spelled that wrong, I'm just now re-learning my Ke-Bekquoi...LOL

SWEET~~~finds, I live in southern Maine -but grew up on the Canadian border -eh.

Planning a road trip to Nova Scotia for some CRH up there next month.

I've found 4 George the v pennys so far and have almost a complete set of George VI and Eliz pennys, tons of nickels.

Nice to see a fellow Kanuk.

Leopold Trench -Odd Job Jack RULES!!!

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Can you rim search dimes in Canada with 100% accuracy? It took me many boxes to spot the difference with silvers and canadiens. However, with all the rims being shiny, seems like it would take alot of searching to spot the silvers.

OP
OP
Y

YuriyV

Jul 12, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuffaloBoy said:
I heard the same. And I'd prove this. I can find silver only in Customer Wrapped Rolls. Examined several boxes went from a distribution center. Nothing. No silver, no foreign coins. Some presence of US dimes.
BTW, did not find US silver yet...

OP
OP
Y

YuriyV

Jul 12, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to meet you, LeoTrench!

LeoTrench-MAINE said:
Examin the '54 for a NSF!!!
Will do.

OP
OP
Y

YuriyV

Jul 12, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MentalUnrest said:
Can you rim search dimes in Canada with 100% accuracy? It took me many boxes to spot the difference with silvers and canadiens. However, with all the rims being shiny, seems like it would take alot of searching to spot the silvers.
I don't trust the rims. I pour a roll content into the palm. And then, using free fingers, spread them slightly showing part of coin's surface. In this case I can say it's 100% accuracy.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Hello Canada!
Nice score up there and thanks for the photos.
Hope you find more.
rileyboy

boxhunter

Jan 5, 2011
I also only look through customer wrapped dime rolls. In the past two days I looked through 12 rolls and found 1 1968 50%silver, 1 1967 50% silver and 1 1965 80% silver!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I dump my US dimes, and the counter spits out the canadian. I get about 50 per $1,000.
It's easy to spot even the '68 50%, while scanning edges. To make sure, I drag the rest with a magnet. I've never missed one. I've found almost 2 rolls worth of silver candians in three years.

OP
OP
Y

YuriyV

Jul 12, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
boxhunter said:
I also only look through customer wrapped dime rolls. In the past two days I looked through 12 rolls and found 1 1968 50%silver, 1 1967 50% silver and 1 1965 80% silver!
It's an excellent rate - 0.005 !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread