using coins to pay credit card bill

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thing said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if someone refuses to accept legal currency to pay off a debt that then the debt becomes invalid.

Anybody ever thought about going to a bank that you know will not accept rolled coins and use them to pay off a credit card, just to see what will happon?

Ask the man who tried to pay his Speeding tickets in Pennies. His tickets came to a total of $859.07, they denied him the opportunity to pay in pennies. His tickets still had to be paid.

Now the man who owed the IRS $5,000+, wrote out a check on one of his shirts and included the routing number and account.
Mailed it to the IRS and they cashed it... :icon_scratch:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
While they can't refuse the coin to pay the debt, they can make you pay it someplace else (or send them in), so they might make you travel out of state to their corporate headquarters to pay it.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
thing said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if someone refuses to accept legal currency to pay off a debt that then the debt becomes invalid.

Anybody ever thought about going to a bank that you know will not accept rolled coins and use them to pay off a credit card, just to see what will happon?

The answer to that thread stated correctly that private companies do NOT "have to" accept cash for payment, and it does not invalidate the debt. SOme places in fact refuse cash of any type, and require checks or Credit cards. Others, like mortgage payoffs, require certified funds. NOthing illegal about it, and no invalidation occurs.

FYI.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I can tell though, they have the right to be paid in whatever but if it is a debt they cannot sue you for not paying the debt if it is paid in legal tender. For example, I can have a store and require that all purchases be made in silver or British pounds and do not accept the US dollar. However, if I were to bill someone for something they have bought denominated in US dollars I have to accept whatever they pay so long as it is in legal tender or else I cannot sue them for not paying.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
Now the man who owed the IRS $5,000+, wrote out a check on one of his shirts and included the routing number and account.

the IRS will do anything to get their money.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
FreedomUIC said:

I like the symbolism. They took the shirt off of his back. Pretty cool if you ask me.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
FreedomUIC said:

I like the symbolism. They took the shirt off of his back. Pretty cool if you ask me.

+1

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a legal check, there's no reason for them not to cash it. I had a math teacher that spent a day here and there going over practical, every-day math related subjects he thought were important, and one day he tested us on our check-writing skills, and another he had us fill out a 1040-EZ. He used the exact example of writing a check on your shirt when talking about how they work. You can write a check on anything, it doesn't have to be a check from your checkbook, as there is nothing legally magical about them other than having your account number on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread