FREAKY WEIRD: Half dollars rejected today!!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Okay...this is freaky weird!!!!

We decided to order a pizza from Papa Murphy's tonight.

"Okay, that will be $11" the teenage cashier said.

I started laying out halves in rows of five dollars, just like I always do at retail establishments.

"Ummm. Ummm. I can't take those" the cashier said, and quickly called for the store manager, who was also so young that I would be surprised if she had a driver's license.

"I'm sorry, sir, we don't accept those, or gold dollars. Our bank won't take them" the manager said.

"What?? Your bank won't take them?? Which bank is that??"

"Fifth-Third. They don't allow us to deposit half dollars or the gold dollars. We have a business account there, and business accounts cannot deposit halves or gold dollars" she said.

I stood and argued that I had bought lots of halves from Fifth-Third and that I was spending legal currency.

"Oh, I know they are okay to spend, but we just don't take them. If that is all you have, the pizza is free" she replied.

"But I don't want something I didn't pay for...I just want to leave the halves with you" I said.

"Sorry, but I can't take them. Enjoy the pizza. It is on us" the manager said. "Really, it is on us" she added.

I tried to reason with them, and tried to pay several times, but she would hear none of it.

"If you are upset, you can call the owner. He told us that our bank won't accept them." the manager girl said.

I stood there absolutely dumbfounded, and tried again (many times) to pay with my halves. I even told them to take the halves, and throw them in the trash if they wished.

Every week, we spend at least $200 in halves...often much more than that...and people are excited to receive them as payment, and hardly ever have we had someone be negative about them, save a curmudgeon at a post office once.

On one hand, I do feel bad that Papa Murphy's gave me a free pizza because they hate halves or are misinformed.

On the other hand, I feel that if they are that dumb, I'll take the free pizza.

What would you have done?

How would you feel?

Should I swing back into Papa Murphy's tomorrow and give them $11 in greenbacks, or even dimes? (LOL about the dimes)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Would have Orderd a second Pizza Right away
& Tried to pay for That one With Halfs :laughing7:

:headbang: FREE IS GOOD :headbang:

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I pay with halves and the teller is young, they do a complete wild take with their eyes bugging out. Many ask what they are, and have never seen them before. I gave a few to some middle-school aged girls who were outside a grocery store collecting money for their basketball team or something, and they completely freaked. They ran around showing them to people and completely forgot about hitting up the patrons for money.

I paid for a pizza with Ikes once and the driver's eyeballs actually popped right out of his head and rolled across the ground. I felt pretty sorry for him. It was like that scene at the end of A Christmas Story where Ralphie gets his glasses knocked off. I didn't want him to step on them, so I told him to sit down while I found them and washed them off.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
clovis97 said:
...We have a business account there, and business accounts cannot deposit halves or gold dollars" she said...

I have seen this posted at a bank on a road trip somewhere - can't remember where or what bank, but I do remember seeing a sign that said business accounts could no longer deposit halves or dollar coins.

In a situation like this I would check the laws that allow a bank to stay in operation. I was under the understanding that a bank legally is required to accept all US currency within damage toleration?

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captainfwiffo said:
When I pay with halves and the teller is young, they do a complete wild take with their eyes bugging out. Many ask what they are, and have never seen them before. I gave a few to some middle-school aged girls who were outside a grocery store collecting money for their basketball team or something, and they completely freaked. They ran around showing them to people and completely forgot about hitting up the patrons for money.

I paid for a pizza with Ikes once and the driver's eyeballs actually popped right out of his head and rolled across the ground. I felt pretty sorry for him. It was like that scene at the end of A Christmas Story where Ralphie gets his glasses knocked off. I didn't want him to step on them, so I told him to sit down while I found them and washed them off.

Lol, i've actually had one place think they were dollar coins and tried giving me money back...lol. I corrected them of course.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions