MN Boxes Dry Up! 33 Box Skunk Streak (and counting...)

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I was hoping last week's ridiculous skunk streak of 33 Boxes ended when I dumped my last lot of coins in the coin machine. Good riddance you worthless boxes!

So...you can only imagine my disappointment when I picked up six more boxes today--ALL of them bearing the same November 30, 2011 stamp by inspector XXCXI. I HATE THAT STAMP!

This is the longest skunk streak I have ever had. I don't know what's going on...other than to think the boxes in the Twin Cities are simply drying up.

I have not opened today's boxes yet (actually, I really don't want to), but I am thinking my skunk streak will continue to grow into what will soon turn into an ugly urban ledgend :(

How do the rest of you handle this sort of disappointment? What is the longest skunk streak the rest of you have had?

Upvote 0

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I am sorry to tell you that my longest skunk streak was about 3 days.

Hang in there Brush64 !!

Try another bank, CWR's, or a roadtrip.

Keep on Rollin' !

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
12 boxes for me, but given that my CRH career is young, I think I'll top that soon. I've found 1 40% out of my last 16 boxes.

Do you order all from one bank/one coin processor?

I personally have two order banks using two different processors, not that it's helped much.

OP
OP
B

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
silvernd said:
12 boxes for me, but given that my CRH career is young, I think I'll top that soon. I've found 1 40% out of my last 16 boxes.

Do you order all from one bank/one coin processor?

I personally have two order banks using two different processors, not that it's helped much.

I order about 36-40 boxes a week (total) from two different banks (four different locations)...

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the processor different for those branches/banks? That would be my only thought.

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Brush64 said:
Well, I was hoping last week's ridiculous skunk streak of 33 Boxes ended when I dumped my last lot of coins in the coin machine. Good riddance you worthless boxes!

So...you can only imagine my disappointment when I picked up six more boxes today--ALL of them bearing the same November 30, 2011 stamp by inspector XXCXI. I HATE THAT STAMP!

This is the longest skunk streak I have ever had. I don't know what's going on...other than to think the boxes in the Twin Cities are simply drying up.

I have not opened today's boxes yet (actually, I really don't want to), but I am thinking my skunk streak will continue to grow into what will soon turn into an ugly urban ledgend :(

How do the rest of you handle this sort of disappointment? What is the longest skunk streak the rest of you have had?

I am from Minnesota and do large volume as well and the boxes have gone from bad to worse. It's as bad as I have seen up here. I think the only place that is having success is the New York and Los Angeles area. It's getting to the point that it just not worth all the dumping.

Good luck and happy hunting..

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
WI (Milwaukee area) boxes are pretty awful right now too. Haven't seen a good box here since August. Last month was by far my worst since starting 2-3 years ago.

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JJDEMARAY said:
Brush64 said:

I am from Minnesota and do large volume as well and the boxes have gone from bad to worse. It's as bad as I have seen up here. I think the only place that is having success is the New York and Los Angeles area. It's getting to the point that it just not worth all the dumping.

Good luck and happy hunting..

So Minnesota seems to have gone the way of Arizona and Iowa then. Either keep trying your luck, or just switch to Dime boxes. From what I've read on here, New York is by far better than Los Angeles. I can only speak for Utah, which to me is not great, but not Arizona/Iowa bad either.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I always thought the best areas in the country for this is where the old money is. NY tri-city area has the biggest population during the 60's so I figure that the odds are best there. LA area has the 2nd biggest population but the population wasn't all that big in the 60's. I wonder about Chicago though. That's the 3rd biggest metropolis and that area had a lot of people there in the 60's. However, hadn't heard much from people that search the Chicago area in terms of getting great results. :icon_scratch: Wonder why. Anyone with thoughts?

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brush64 said:

I get my happy ass off the floor and drive to get some Whiskey or Guinness. Come home, hop on the forum, and vent while I drink away. Then I pick a fight with Cards.N.Coins, get told I need to level off by a fellow AZ CRH (you know who you are), and then Enamel7 usually spouts his mouth off while Im deployed talking about how I think it's my forum. Then I try to take it out on the wife next, all night. Then I go to work the next day, and piss people off there. I really just try to take it out on as many people as possible.

In all seriousness, I stopped playing the box game. I still order 5 month but Im done. Really just go around Phoenix pillaging CWR halves (mostly dumps) and dimes. Still do well.

Longest streak: I have found 1 40% in over 60 boxes...and it had a hole drilled in it! I once ordered 21 boxes I think it was, all in one week, over $10K in cash, and found the drilled half. I was on a 34 skunk streak, or so, before I ordered all those boxes.

It's certainly out there(here), just NOT in boxes in Phoenix.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I recently had a 33 box skunk streak too, which got broken by a decent box, as far as Indiana boxes are. That decent box of mine would have been brushed aside by a heavy hitter like Cards as "small, but okay".

If this hobby wasn't so addictive, I would just quit. I can buy silver cheaper than what I am sinking into gasoline...not to mention my time and the stress of having to dump before the new boxes roll in.

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
SFBayArea said:
I always thought the best areas in the country for this is where the old money is. NY tri-city area has the biggest population during the 60's so I figure that the odds are best there. LA area has the 2nd biggest population but the population wasn't all that big in the 60's. I wonder about Chicago though. That's the 3rd biggest metropolis and that area had a lot of people there in the 60's. However, hadn't heard much from people that search the Chicago area in terms of getting great results. :icon_scratch: Wonder why. Anyone with thoughts?

I have heard of more searchers in the Chicago Fed. District than any district in the nation. That's probably why it stinks so bad in Iowa, Ill, and Ind.

OP
OP
B

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I am happy to say that the skunk streak has ended after 34 boxes!

On my 35th box, I found a '56 Ben...on the 36th box I found a '67...and in the next box I found three '68s.

Not a huge haul by any means, but it is certainly better than NOTHING!

Hopefully, this will mark the beginning of a nice turn-around. I'll keep you guys posted.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
All right !

For an Icon, we need a CRH'er with silver in his hands, standing atop a hill of dead Skunks !

Keep on Rollin' !

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had much luck with MN boxes either... at least not half dollar boxes. And that's for boxes I have picked up anywhere in MN (including outstate).

I haven't been searching a whole lot this year compared to past years as I have been busy with other activities and I usually focus on other denominations, but of the 512 MWR (machine wrapped rolls) I have picked up scattered across this state this year (8 boxes and handfuls of rolls here or there), I have only 2 - 40% to show for it.

I have done a little better with loose halves, but still nothing like it was.

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Guys,
You're about four years late. Have you ever heard the expression " Pigs get fat and Hogs get slaughtered"? Take a look at all those colored tail feathers and you will know how small the population of coins is in the District you are in. The good old days in Minnesota disappeared in a few months. Welcome to the desert with an occasional oasis. You may as well get on a party line and bring your dumps to each others houses.

OP
OP
B

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, yeah, I know about coming to the party late...but I was a clueless, stupid individual four years ago and had no idea I should/could undertake the "hobby" of silver mining.

Oh well, better late than never. I still consider this a fun hobby, and up until last week, boxes in this oasis were actually still producing pretty well. So I will keep at it for the sake of enjoying the time I get to spend with my son...but let's just say I've lowered my expectation quite a bit regarding finding any keepers.

What do you mean by looking at all those "colored tail feathers"??

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50centman said:
Guys,
You're about four years late. Have you ever heard the expression " Pigs get fat and Hogs get slaughtered"? Take a look at all those colored tail feathers and you will know how small the population of coins is in the District you are in. The good old days in Minnesota disappeared in a few months. Welcome to the desert with an occasional oasis. You may as well get on a party line and bring your dumps to each others houses.

I wouldn't say 4 years late as I have been searching half dollars in this area for over 5 years and I have never had a great box from any vendor. I've had some okay boxes, but never anything grand. I think the best half dollar box I have ever gotten over the 5 years had maybe 20 or so silver coins in it. It's why my focus has been primarily on other denominations such as pennies, nickels, and dimes. I won't say I haven't had any success, because I have had some, but from my experience the big drop off only occurred over the past year or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread