TD Bank says no more dumping large amounts of coins.. new policy coming soon..

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been dumping at TD Bank for about 5 months. I personally never broke the machine, but I think others may have (or I may have contributed). Long story short, I showed up today on my lunch break, and they said the machine is down and someone had to come fix it.

They said I could no longer dump large amounts there anymore (I usually did 1K in halves at a time). The Penny Arcade is only for small dumps around $50. They said that if I want I can send my coins to be counted, BUT said that it could take weeks to get my money in my account. She said that usually it only takes a couple of days, but she has seen it take a while. She may have just been saying that because she doesn't want to deal with it... She said all TD Banks are going to be changing their policy.

So what do I do now??!! I have 1K in halves in my house sitting in my backpack. In the past when I lived in NM I dumped at a credit union that is not in the DC area. There are some credit unions here, but they do not have counters. My days may be over...

So which banks will allow you to take coins to be sent in to be counted, and how long does it take to see a credit back on your account?

I am going to call around, but thought I would try and get some opinions.. And spread the word about TD.

:(

Upvote 0

Steelers0626

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same exact thing just happened to me, but at only one TD bank, look for more TD banks, hopefully they didn't all change their policy

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a credit union 2 miles down the road farther, just signed up online.. I am going to check it out this weekend to dump the rest and hopefully build a nice relationship with them. I just hope it's not a slowwww machine..

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uh oh, this does not sound good!
I really hope this is not true, TD bank is the only bank I dump on, as there are no other banks with coin counters nearby.
I guess I'll have to go friday and see what's up. Time will tell.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
If I had a silver dime for every time I heard "A bank told me the new company wide policy was no more large amounts of coins" I'd have about a troy ounce of silver.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dok Holliday said:
If I had a silver dime for every time I heard "A bank told me the new company wide policy was no more large amounts of coins" I'd have about a troy ounce of silver.
Dok, I sure hope you're right :help:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have very good relations with the tellers at 2 different TD branches. I'll ask at 1 tomorrow to verify if this is true or not.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I feel your pain. When I lived in Texas, I had it all figured out. There were plenty of big banks like BOA and chase that carry lots of boxes of change on hand, and I had a wells fargo with a machine for customers to dump their change. The only problem was that the machine was insanely loud and the bank was small, so standing there for twenty minutes letting it count my change could get awkward.

Then I moved to Connecticut. All credit unions that don't carry large amounts of coins, you have to order them. Also the best I could find was a credit union that charged 3% on it's change machines if you had an account. Not a bad deal for the guy who is counting ten bucks worth of change, but If I take a $30 hit every time I go there it's not worth it!

Finally I found a bank that had a coin counting machine, and they do not seem to mind me bringing in weirdness like buckets of dimes.

Here's my advice:

1) go to every single bank, credit union, and savings trust you can find. Ask about their coin return policy. Select the best one and open an account
2)Obtain your coins from large chain banks like BOA and chase. They always have a lot on hand and you do not generally need an account
3) Be as friendly as possible to the tellers! let them know how much you appreciate their services, ask them how their day was, maybe crack a joke, etc. On holidays, or randomly, bake them some cookies (don't buy anything or it will offset your silver profits, hahaha). Trust me , you want a teller on your side.

By the way, the backpack full of halves that you don't know what to do with cracks me up. Been there! When I moved to CT I was broke and took my last thousand bucks and bought two boxes of halves. found no silver and didn't know a bank yet to turn them into. So I started spending them! try buying a piece of furniture in all halves, now that's a story to tell your children.

-Rick

Joanner

Dec 31, 2007
I might be feeling your pain tomorrow. The local credit union has branches with coin counters which I have been using for about 3 years. They closed some of the branches so now I am down to one local CU branch, which I am using for $1,000 in halves a week. The other branch is about 1/2 hour away. When they were all up and running, I would spread the dumps around so as not to irritate them.

I get back home this evening and there is a message to call the CU back. I doubt it is about anything else but the halves. I do ask them every week if this is causing them any problems and they assure me it is not. :dontknow:

On the counters, there is a notice that says unlimited free use for members.

I might be in the same boat. :'(

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I dumped at three TD bank branches today and none of them said anything. Perhaps this branch is just trying to get rid of you?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
What part of the DC area are you in? I'm in Montgomery County. There are some CU with coin counters here.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind we are not the only culprits. The savings institute I use as a dump says they deal with business all the time that deal only with change, such as arcades and pool halls (although last I checked most pool halls take credit cards now). Still, we have just as much right as those businesses, considering some of us do this for a little extra profit, along with collecting.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I walked into a branch of a bank that I have a personal as well as business account with. I go into other branches of this bank daily.

The snarky lady behind the counter told me she has to charge me 10 cents a roll to buy CWR, no exceptions. She then goes on to say that all branches of this bank will be adopting this rule. The branch manager was standing there and agreed with every word.

I told these idiots, that there was no need to lie to me, I am in fact smarter than I look. I am a long term client of this bank, and I buy coin rolls at a dozen different branches. If they don't want to sell me coin, that is fine, there are 2 branches within a 3 mile radius that are happy to get rid of their CWR for my hundred dollar bills. There are in fact 4 branches of other banks with 1/4
Good bye,
Good Riddance

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked my brother who works for TD. He said there are no plans to implement such a restriction on a company-wide basis. He also says it's VERY unlikely for any particular region to do so on its' own.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you need to step over there head and talk with a district manager to line them out to understand exactly what thier job is. Exchange currency which is one of the banks services for thier members.

On second thought just walk on an dont let em think too much about what we are doing.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markmopar said:
I asked my brother who works for TD. He said there are no plans to implement such a restriction on a company-wide basis. He also says it's VERY unlikely for any particular region to do so on its' own.
:headbang: :hello2: :headbang:

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I e-mailed TD Bank customer service. Not sure if I will get a good answer or not. If they are trying to get rid of me, lying to me is just going to pi$$ me off.

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dump at 7 TD banks around my area, and no one has said anything. I never get dirty looks, and the tellers are always willing to change out the bags for me. I never go to the same TD more then once a week, and i dump $500 at a time. I see business customers and charity workers coming in and dumping bags and bags of coins, so i think they are just pulling your chain with the limit thing. I know that you can always set it up with TD bank where you can give them coins and they contact Brinks for you, and Brinks will pick up the bags you dropped off and your money will be credited within a few days, so that could always be an option.

silvernd

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
SilverForBrains said:
Keep in mind we are not the only culprits. The savings institute I use as a dump says they deal with business all the time that deal only with change, such as arcades and pool halls (although last I checked most pool halls take credit cards now). Still, we have just as much right as those businesses, considering some of us do this for a little extra profit, along with collecting.

My two main dump banks were especially grumpy when I went in this week. I had the unfortunate luck of following two such businesses.

The first claimed to be a laundromat owner. When I walked in I knew something was up because all three tellers announced, "Oh look, more coin". He had apparently filled up several bags that they had to change and then added more, leaving me with full bags of quarters x2 , dimes, nickels, and pennies x2. My $500 in halves went in just fine, but the $10 in pennies that I mix in to not look so obvious filled the last part of a third penny bag and forced the bank to change all six full bags in front of me.

The next one I stopped by had someone who claimed to be from the phone company. He was in for 2 hours straight filling quarter bags. I saw at least 8 bags on the cart, and it was so heavy they were having trouble pushing it. Needless to say I felt bad when another $500 in halves forced yet another bag change for the poor tellers.

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never feel bad. It is a part of their job. If they don't like it, they can find a new one. And if they ever said something like "Oh look, another guy bringing coins" i would say something like, "Oh Look, another teller who does not appreciate having a job in this economy." This is hypothetical, it is yet to happen. .

However, i am courteous. If there is a line of people waiting for tellers, and i filled up the bags, i dont jump up and down yelling that the bag is full, i just stand there until someone notices and comes over. If there is a chair on wheels in that office, i roll a chair to the lady changing the coins, so she doesnt have to carry them all but instead can wheel them to the vault, and if they are the more friendly tellers, i chat them up, asking how there day is, and things like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread