TD Bank says no more dumping large amounts of coins.. new policy coming soon..

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been dumping at TD Bank for about 5 months. I personally never broke the machine, but I think others may have (or I may have contributed). Long story short, I showed up today on my lunch break, and they said the machine is down and someone had to come fix it.

They said I could no longer dump large amounts there anymore (I usually did 1K in halves at a time). The Penny Arcade is only for small dumps around $50. They said that if I want I can send my coins to be counted, BUT said that it could take weeks to get my money in my account. She said that usually it only takes a couple of days, but she has seen it take a while. She may have just been saying that because she doesn't want to deal with it... She said all TD Banks are going to be changing their policy.

So what do I do now??!! I have 1K in halves in my house sitting in my backpack. In the past when I lived in NM I dumped at a credit union that is not in the DC area. There are some credit unions here, but they do not have counters. My days may be over...

So which banks will allow you to take coins to be sent in to be counted, and how long does it take to see a credit back on your account?

I am going to call around, but thought I would try and get some opinions.. And spread the word about TD.

:(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just called a different TD bank and spoke to a manager. He wanted to look at my account which has nothing in it. He asked if I am a collect, I said yes. He asked if I did half dollars, I said yes. He said the halves are breaking the machines and they do not have the man power to empty bags and fix machines.

I am not sure if there is a policy yet, but he said that for all of us "collectors" we have to send out our coins to a distributor which can take "weeks" to see a credit.

If you are at a good branch, you may be ok. I am done with TD, going to close my account today since I found a CU in the area that said I can bring as much coin as I want...

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Shoot- aside from the large volume of deposits and withdraws looking suspicious on my account.
I would almost rather have that set up- I wouldnt mind floating my bankroll 1 week. All I would need is double the bank roll. Wouldn't be too hard. Have 10k to search with.... Search 5k week 1.. deposit... Search 5k week 2... deposit... Withdraw 5k, search 5k, deposit... Withdraw 5k, search 5k, deposit...

You all get the point-
Not really a bad setup aside from the deposits looking sketchy-
N8

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
koala33 said:
Just called a different TD bank and spoke to a manager. He wanted to look at my account which has nothing in it. He asked if I am a collect, I said yes. He asked if I did half dollars, I said yes. He said the halves are breaking the machines and they do not have the man power to empty bags and fix machines.

I am not sure if there is a policy yet, but he said that for all of us "collectors" we have to send out our coins to a distributor which can take "weeks" to see a credit.

If you are at a good branch, you may be ok. I am done with TD, going to close my account today since I found a CU in the area that said I can bring as much coin as I want...

Leave it up to some dumb CRHer to ruin it for everyone else. That always happens. Some fool gets too greedy and ruins it for everyone. Just seems like that in life. They want to be like Tony Montana and get everything all at once only to crash and burn. I digress. We don't have machines here so it's done the old fashion way.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Whew, based on these tales I have it easy at my CU. Granted, I only do $100/week in pennies and an occasional $1,000-$3,000 in halves so it doesn't sound like I do the volume some of you serious CRH's do. That said, I offer the following:

-My CU has a back office coin counter and not one in the lobby. Yet I have never gotten any grief when I roll in with my coins. Bottom line is maybe look for a smaller CU or bank that has a counter that's not in the lobby.
-I lug my coins to the CU in a medium size suitcase on wheels. The teller just pulls it back to where the counter is and handles the boxes/bags once instead of lifting them at the teller window AND coin counter.
-Initially I asked the Teller Manager when is the best day and time to bring the coins in. She said any day but Friday (payday in my area) and between 2:00PM and 3:30pm (all tellers are back from lunch and after work crowd hasn't shown up yet). I let them dictate the schedule. If she would have said 2:00AM Sunday morning I'd say, "GREAT, do you take cream in your Starbucks coffee?"
-i THANK THE TELLER EVERY TIME I DUMP COINS AND SHE GIVES ME MY NEW COINS! I also tell her how much I appreciate the effort she's making to take care of me. I know it's "their job" but I also NEVER knew an employee that resented an "attaboy...or girl" even though they were doing what they get paid for.
-Take 'em a treat occasionally. I've been told that when I walk in the door tellers will comment to each other, "here's the guy that brings cookies, carmel corn, rum cake, or whatever the last thing was I brought in. To paraphrase "Get 'em by their sweet tooth and their hearts and minds will follow."
Finally, gang it's a numbers game. As CRH's that's one of our basic laws and it can apply to finding coin sources just like finding silver whatevers. Make a list of EVERY bank and CU within the distance you're willing to drive, peddle, or crawl. Visit their websites and get whatever tidbits of info about accounts, coin counter, and any other thing that will help you to get them to say "yes." The HOURS you spend making "sales calls" in person will be more valuable than the DAYS you spend sorting coins.

Good luck.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I dont know what is so hard for CRHers to pace themselves.

Remember pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Maybe peeps should use thier heads more like some on this forum and ask about limits.

Personally i can dump at around 20-30 banks and have been doin so for about 2 years now. I start out small friendly asking questions and watching responses to full bags. If i jam a machine or fill it too much i stay away for about a month usually hearing where have you been when i come back.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think I could handle to be a heavy volume CRH. It is hard to dump a box in my area.
DW

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading this, I'm so glad I live in Utah where branches of a local CU here will easily take 2k+ in Half Dollar dumps every day.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week am doing over 50 boxes???? The hard part is picking the boxes up. I only do 2 per bank. I will post the finding. :tard:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so far, the word was not spoken to me between 2 different branches. I am not going to ask; however, but I think it is a singular branch thing, they just don't want you dumping there any more. The manager changed the coin bag for me the other day, and she is a small woman in her upper 50's-lower 60's. From my knowlege, they don't mind me dumping there.

HH,
BuffaloBoy

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I inquired about this at one of my TD branches, they had no idea of what i was talking about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread