The weekend

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumped yesterday and went to my buy bank, got 1 box of dimes and 2 boxes of nickles.
Saturday evening was for the dimes and 1 nickle box, 43 mercury head and a buffalo without a date.
Woke this morning an started the last box of nickles. a 1936 buffalo and a 44p war nickle. I did set aside a 1942 that wasnt a wartime nickle.

Keepers 1 mercury
2 buffalos
1 war time

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
congrats on the finds!

I was thinking about dumping my half boxes from Fri & getting some dime boxes & maybe a nickel box yesterday but I guess I just got lazy so I'll just have to wait till Mon. I'll probably get dime boxes Mon & Tues since I won't have any half boxes till Wed, Thurs & maybe Fri. :)

Btw, I just checked a no-date D buffalo I've been soaking in vinegar for over a week and still no date. Maybe this one is just too worn but I'll give it a little longer. My last two no-dates I've vinegarized have been 1918 & 1914. The vinegar leaves a flat dull finish to the coins but seems to bring the dates out really well - so far anyway. :)

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you keep the 2009 nickels? In the 5 boxes that I have done I have found only 5 '09s and 4 war nickels. Just seem like they are hard to find.

OP
OP
Xiao en

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silverface thats a good tip for getting a date on the indians, I will try that as they are worth a nickle without a date. Do you use white or brown vinegar or does it matter??

Jarlbarter, I was looking for and keeping proof coins before 1960. Looking for 1938 and 39' D & S coins and any 1950, war nickles and buffalo's. 3 boxes have brought 2 war nickles and 2 buffalos

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
jarlbartar said:
Do you keep the 2009 nickels? In the 5 boxes that I have done I have found only 5 '09s and 4 war nickels. Just seem like they are hard to find.

I keep any '09 nic's I find because of the low mintage and like you stated they are almost as hard to find as silver nic's. I've had about the same '09 & silver nic results as you from the 5 nickel boxes I've searched so far this year myself.

Xiao en said:
Silverface thats a good tip for getting a date on the indians, I will try that as they are worth a nickle without a date. Do you use white or brown vinegar or does it matter??

I've been using white vinegar myself but I think I read on one of the other coin forums a couple of months ago that someone suggested using Worcestershire sauce - and that it works even better than vinegar - but I haven't tried that yet myself.

OP
OP
Xiao en

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I will add 2009 nickles to the list..... shakes head an walks away still such a noob.

Thanks for the additional info.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually started searching nickels in early 2010 because I remember seeing a circulated 2009P nickel that sold on ebay in Dec. '09 for $4.10 - for one circulated nickel. I couldn't believe that. But I think prices have come down considerably since then and that auction was probably just an anomaly. But since then I've probably only found a few more '09's than silver nic's in all the cwr's & boxes I've searched - though I'd still much rather find the silver nic's of course. :)

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread