If CoinTracker is Right, STOP DUMPING CLAD HALVES!!

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 1971D Kennedy Half.JPG
    1971D Kennedy Half.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,380
Upvote 0

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50cent said:
Clad lovers paying a premium these days for clad.............................

Clad Life bro

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Non-coin people don't know how to grade as is, and cointrackers is just diluting the grading even further by introducing relative grading.

I can't tell you how many people insist that their Barber dime in AG-3 is in "good shape" because they factor in the age. How many people think that having a common Morgan in fine must be a rarity because the coin was minted in the 1800s. Indeed its funny how many people assume that a coin over XX years old could never look as good as it came from the mint. Little do they know that you can still get copper coins from the 1700s still with mint luster on them, or Greek coins from 200 BC that are practically as-struck. I've seen people come in with the Red Book or some coin magazine and believe that their worn out coins demand AU or MS prices.

Now, there is some room for subjective grading (especially in the upper grades) when it comes to certain issues, but not on a site that appeals to the masses. For example, you can assume that a Tealby Penny will have a terrible strike (see HENRY II - TEALBY for two examples of above-average strikes/condition of them!) and that a 1921 Morgan in the same state of preservation as an earlier one will generally have a less-attractive strike. But to say to the average person that a 1903 Dime in better condition is worth $XXX makes them think that their dime is worth $XXX when its really just worth melt. Its a real shame that cointrackers is always one of the first hits whenever you Google a coin.

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad you guys brought this up because I'm just getting started with coins and have been wondering if cointracker is ever accurate.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that site is for people trying to see if they are getting a good deal in a retail establishment. I've seen boxes of clad halves selling for anywhere from .55 to 1.00 each with nothing special about them. The people that buy them do so for birthday and holiday gifts and perceived scarcity.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy III

jamesg13

Jan 7, 2013
The Outskirts
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I first started this i was looking at cointracker and thinkin, how could this be true? Anyone with half a brain would be buying boxes and headed straight to the coin store lol, we wouldnt need jobs- i called a shop and he didnt know what the hell i was talkin about. then i was looking for a number for coin tracker, i guess snopes runs them too........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions