If CoinTracker is Right, STOP DUMPING CLAD HALVES!!

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 1971D Kennedy Half.JPG
    1971D Kennedy Half.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,380
Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin value guides are always laughably bad when it comes to overestimating coin values. Even the Redbook falls into the same trap. Mix that with people's relative grading (people saying that their EF Seated Liberty is AU or MS because its old and you "can't expect a coin that old to be in mint state...") and you get coin price guides online that are nowhere near realistic, while those who quote realistic prices are often not linked to (and thus appear lower on Google's searches) because no one likes to be told that their coin their grandpa gave them is really just worth face value instead they go for some way inflated value and inflated grading then get mad that all coin dealers are "rip offs".

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Generic_Lad said:
Coin value guides are always laughably bad when it comes to overestimating coin values. Even the Redbook falls into the same trap. Mix that with people's relative grading (people saying that their EF Seated Liberty is AU or MS because its old and you "can't expect a coin that old to be in mint state...") and you get coin price guides online that are nowhere near realistic, while those who quote realistic prices are often not linked to (and thus appear lower on Google's searches) because no one likes to be told that their coin their grandpa gave them is really just worth face value instead they go for some way inflated value and inflated grading then get mad that all coin dealers are "rip offs".
I think it is mostly understood that price guides tend to overestimate/inflate the numismatic value of a coin.

I'm blown away by the linked site though. It is one thing to exaggerate the value of a collectible coin. But come on, 1.5x to 3.5xface for the most plentiful clad half dollar that exists - a coin that no respectable collector considers to have any value over face? That site values all P,D mint halves over face and values the Bicentennial half at $2.00 to $2.50 (if only it were true :-[).

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I know people that have been hoarding the bicentennial quarter since mint. Think I could sell AU rolls on Craigslist for $11? No bites for months.

wolfmann

Dec 30, 2006
Hello All; Some of this is true, I've sold 1986-D's 45.00 each roll. Of course they were solid rolls. Bought 650.00 worth of rolls from the bank. 10 rolls were 86ers Sold them for 450.00 and still had 550.00face left. Thanks for listening.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
Generic_Lad said:
I think it is mostly understood that price guides tend to overestimate/inflate the numismatic value of a coin.

I'm blown away by the linked site though. It is one thing to exaggerate the value of a collectible coin. But come on, 1.5x to 3.5xface for the most plentiful clad half dollar that exists - a coin that no respectable collector considers to have any value over face? That site values all P,D mint halves over face and values the Bicentennial half at $2.00 to $2.50 (if only it were true :-[).

It's not just the prices that are wrong. They say that my 1943 war nickel is 90% silver and 57% copper. ??? They also say my 1942 war nickel is not silver even though some of them were. I'm not sure that I would trust anything on that site. Very amateurish.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Put up the coin tracker link when you sell your clad on Feebay. :laughing7:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Hmm if you doubt they can be worth more then face try buying a regular one at a coin show and see what it costs. One of my local dealers sells them for .75 ea.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
100% vs 90 % + 57 % = 147% humm :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

try 30% silver in a "war nickle" from WW2 era :tongue3: :laughing9:

most coin books are often set at "dealer will try to sell to you " prices --not dealer will offer to buy at prices or "real world prices" of what a normal person might offer you in real life . ::)

anything is only worth as little as you will take for it , and as much as they will give for it --if those two "ends" meet thats what a the item is worth at that time and place between those 2 people , -- a items worth can vary greatly from time to time , place to place and person to person --a glass of water where water is common is worth little , but to a thirsty man in the desert with pockets full of "gold", it could be worth a lot.

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say. From my experience working in the coin business I would have to say that cointrackers.com is a site that puts out more misinformation than truth. For example I had a customer call the store today asking if we buy 1983-D washington quarters. I simply told him, "no" they minted over 600,000,000 there is no silver content in the coin and they are all over the place in circulation. He then proceeds to tell me that cointrackers says that the quarter in question is worth between $11-$42. $11 in poor condition and $42 in excellent condition. After taking a glance in the red book I see that $11 dollars is what you would expect to pay retail for a certified 1983-D in MS-63 condition and $42 in MS-65 condition. So I am assuming that based on the numbers coin trackers is providing and what is printed in the red book the author of these pages are simply taking the lowest number they see and the highest they see in the red book and using those prices as actual value of the coin in poor and excellent condition. I do not believe coin trackers to be a reputable source of information when it comes to coin values. And they do not reflect actual values, based on the current market. There is much better information out there regarding coins and there current values, and in my opinion cointrackers.com is not one of them. If you really want a better guide to actual market values get yourself a membership the the grey sheet. Prices are updated regularly and reflect what you can expect to get for a coin and what you may have to pay for one.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say ebay is the best price guide in existence. An item is "worth" only what you can sell it for - regardless of what any website, book, or anyone tells you its "worth". With ebay you can get a very good idea at about what price range a particular item is currently selling.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Arkie. When it comes to junk silver, ebay sales prices end up pretty close to spot (probably a little distorted by people using "ebay bucks"). However, I've often wondered whether ebay sales inaccurately price (high or low) any collectible coins that cannot be valued simply by gold or silver content.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to say. From my experience working in the coin business I would have to say that cointrackers.com is a site that puts out more misinformation than truth. For example I had a customer call the store today asking if we buy 1983-D washington quarters. I simply told him, "no" they minted over 600,000,000 there is no silver content in the coin and they are all over the place in circulation. He then proceeds to tell me that cointrackers says that the quarter in question is worth between $11-$42. $11 in poor condition and $42 in excellent condition. After taking a glance in the red book I see that $11 dollars is what you would expect to pay retail for a certified 1983-D in MS-63 condition and $42 in MS-65 condition. So I am assuming that based on the numbers coin trackers is providing and what is printed in the red book the author of these pages are simply taking the lowest number they see and the highest they see in the red book and using those prices as actual value of the coin in poor and excellent condition. I do not believe coin trackers to be a reputable source of information when it comes to coin values. And they do not reflect actual values, based on the current market. There is much better information out there regarding coins and there current values, and in my opinion cointrackers.com is not one of them. If you really want a better guide to actual market values get yourself a membership the the grey sheet. Prices are updated regularly and reflect what you can expect to get for a coin and what you may have to pay for one.

Very well said.

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys don't know what your talking about. They can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true. BONJOUR!!!!!!!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
I still say ebay is the best price guide in existence. An item is "worth" only what you can sell it for - regardless of what any website, book, or anyone tells you its "worth". With ebay you can get a very good idea at about what price range a particular item is currently selling.

I agree 100%. I track auctions of any pricey coin before I buy it. Then I know exactly how much I should be paying for it - and what I should be able to get for it if I need to sell. Other price guides are exactly that - "guides."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread