Dump bank gave me a bunch of Coin-Lok bags

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the West where coin counting machines don't exist (unless you want to give lots of money to CoinStar). So I'm used to re-rolling everything I find.

I've recently changed dump banks; yesterday, I dropped off a bunch of rolls. The teller started dumping out the rolls and putting them into CoinLok bags.

I have read about them here on the forum, but I hadn't realized they would have them here. So it turns out that I don't need to re-roll my halves anymore - I can just put them into the CoinLok bags and deposit them. I need to have some extra float since it takes a while to get them shipped off and counted and my account to be credited. But I can live with that.

Maybe I can go through my next box more quickly. (I timed myself - it took about 35 minutes to get through a box of 500. A recent post here had much faster speeds, probably because they weren't re-rolling the halves!)

She gave me a stack of bags to use in the future. Fun fun!

I'm also going to start asking for CWR dime rolls from now on. I've usually avoided them because they are such a hassle to re-roll...

Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
You can see the coins in the bag and if it weighs around 50 punds you should be able to get your cash right away. if i'm not mistaken that's pretty much all that needs to happen when brinks or loomis picks up those bags is weigh the right amount. so maybe your bank just needs to get a scale and wiegh your dumps and give you cash on demand.

I'm not saying push them but see if that is a possibility, no more float needed. They can deduct or depost any shortages or overages, wich I gurantee there wont be if it weighs the right amount, because they really don't count them, just weigh and dump into a huge hopper for rerolling.

Mojo

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
coinmojo said:
You can see the coins in the bag and if it weighs around 50 punds you should be able to get your cash right away. if i'm not mistaken that's pretty much all that needs to happen when brinks or loomis picks up those bags is weigh the right amount. so maybe your bank just needs to get a scale and wiegh your dumps and give you cash on demand.

I'm not saying push them but see if that is a possibility, no more float needed. They can deduct or depost any shortages or overages, wich I gurantee there wont be if it weighs the right amount, because they really don't count them, just weigh and dump into a huge hopper for rerolling.

Mojo

Good call. After reading this post I weighed two $1k bags and they both weighed 49.6lbs. That is on the bathroom scale the other half uses and not sure how accurate it is..:) but the were both the same.

Here in my part of Texas, there are no coin counters and my dump bank wants them rolled :angry5: which really sucks. If I dump them at my pickup bank, the want them in bags which is where I am going tommarow as I got a good batch this time. I will be up late tommarow night going through 4k worth of coins as I am going north early Saturday morning to hit some banks in the woods and see what happens. I don't care if they are MWR's or CWR's I am going to buy them all. What do you all think about getting some quarter or dime rolls? I have never gone through them, yet I see several posts where folks have had good results.

Gary

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Explain that it is not income and you dont want all the deposits on your account. Tell them to reference it to your account number should the bag be sort. Ask to speak to the manager if need be. Most of my banks have no problem with the cash exchange, they know me well enough that when I wheel in the cart with coin they hand over the big bills. Easy peasy.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ETA- I have 8 banks and dump no more than 4 bags each on them/week, usually its 2-3 bags/bank. I let one or two sit a week or more.

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
Texas Silverbug said:
What do you all think about getting some quarter or dime rolls? I have never gone through them, yet I see several posts where folks have had good results.

Gary

Quarters and dimes depend on your area. For me right now dimes produce better than halves, but that still is only about 1 dime per $200 in rolls. I have sorted over $1200 in CWR quarters so far this year and have yet to find a silver quarter. If I were you, I would at least try it out.

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
JT10 said:
Texas Silverbug said:
What do you all think about getting some quarter or dime rolls? I have never gone through them, yet I see several posts where folks have had good results.

Gary

Quarters and dimes depend on your area. For me right now dimes produce better than halves, but that still is only about 1 dime per $200 in rolls. I have sorted over $1200 in CWR quarters so far this year and have yet to find a silver quarter. If I were you, I would at least try it out.

I have a little extra fiat that is dying to become silver..:) So I think I will try a box of dimes and maybe a box of quarters to see what happens. Don't know till you try. :dontknow:

buster1248

Greenie
Nov 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
live in n.e. ive been dumping at my bank in those bags for a year or so now.my bank told me not to wrap them cause they have to un-wrap them to ship back with truck, so i walk in with two bags with 1000 in each, write how much is in it on bag and do an exchange coins or cash...works sweet...tip thou, keep bank happy pizza, etc...once in awhile then they feel obligated too..mmmm working for me....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread