Everything you need to know about CRH ***Add your questions or comments here!***

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I’ve been a member of this site for quite some time now, and a lurker long before that. I feel that it is needed to create a thread concerning these "weekly" topics... Perhaps a few times a week or more.

Many newbies have joined this site in the past few months, which is good, and this thread is out there for them, moderate CRH'ers, as well as Vets at CRH.

Treasurenet.com is a great source of valuable information you will get nowhere else. I happened to stumble across this website out of luck, and I don't think I would be CRH'ing if I hadn't joined this website, let alone be doing the volume I do (which is small compared to some members on here)- but volume nonetheless.

There are a few topics that are brought up more than they should be brought up, this is an attempt to get all CRH related questions up here so many other's can help out a fellow CRH'er, or somebody who wants to get into CRH.
*Note: this is not anything trying to deter posts or anything, just simply a "Help" forum for some common questions. We'll see how this goes.

Some CRH related questions that are brought up many times...

HOW DO I CRH? WHAT DOES CRH MEAN?- CRH means coin roll hunting. It is very simple, and you don't need a large amount of money to get started. You can score some collectible coins with as little as pennies on the dollar, but if you want to do larger volumes, you can buy boxes(or bricks) of coins.

WHAT IS A BOX(OR BRICK) OF COINS?
-A box(or brick) of coins is literally 50 rolls of coins packaged into a box for easy transport, handling, and buying, usually for large businesses.

WHAT DENOMINATIONS ARE THESE BOXES(OR BRICKS) OF COINS?
-The denominations of Boxes(or bricks) of coins are of the following listed below.
Pennies- $25 Also, pennies are typically associated with the color red, hence the red box.
Nickels- $100 Also, nickels are typically associated with the color blue, hence the blue box.
Dimes- $250, sometimes you can get $500 boxes, though I have never personally saw a $500 box. Dimes are typically associated with the color green, hence the green box.
Quarters- $500, Also, quarters are typically associated with an orange color, hence the orange box.
Half dollars- $500, Also, halves are typically associated with the color yellow hence the yellow box.

WHAT DENOMINATION IS THE BEST TO SEARCH?
First off, no denomination is consistent with what is produced, though quarters tend to produce less than dimes, but when returning coins, sometimes dimes will be counted as pennies giving you a $0.09 LOSS if you happen to use a coin counter that cannot accurately tell apart a dime from a penny.

SKUNK STREAKS
In this hobby, skunk streaks refer to the amount of boxes that not a single keeper is pulled from. It is not unusual to go on a 10+ half dollar box skunk streak, and not unusual to go on a 5+ skunk streak on dimes or quarters.

DO COIN PROVIDERS SEARCH THROUGH MY COIN BEFORE I PURCHASE THEM?
No! Coin providers do not cull through coins as far as the general public is aware of, it is US who cull the silver and take advantage of the system, this explains skunk streaks listed above.

AM I THE ONLY CRH’er IN THE AREA IN WHICH I LIVE IN?
Generally there are not many CRH’ers; however, there are more than you think, more CRH’ers who are not members of this site. I can almost guarantee there is another CRH’er lurking less than 1 hour of where you live, also, if you live in a big city: New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands of CRH’ers in the area.

DO COIN BOXES GENERALLY PRODUCE BETTER IN CERTAIN REGIONS?
There is a theory that coin boxes produce better on the east coast, which I come to realize is not entirely true; however, there are more people living on the east coast, making there be more CRH’ers which means more volume searched. The more you search, the better the chances of scoring big.

HOW MUCH IS 1 ROLL OF COINS?
Pennies are $0.50 rolls
Nickels are $2.00 rolls
Dimes are $5.00 rolls
Quarters are $10.00 Rolls
Half dollars are $10.00 rolls
Small dollars are $25.00 rolls
Large dollars are $20 rolls(these are general Eisenhower dollars minted from 1971-1978)

MY BANK WANTS TO CHARGE ME A FEE TO ORDER BOXES OF COIN
Banks will charge fees to order coin sometimes. You either pay the fee or find a new bank. There are plenty of fish in the sea, but sometimes finding free bait is hard. (Referring to US as fish, and the bait as coin boxes).

PLEASE, ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS HOBBY. IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO CORRECT, ADD, OR EXPRESS A FEELING TOWARD A TOPIC, PLEASE EXPRESS IT! YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

BuffaloBoy

Upvote 0

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
Nice BB! Perhaps along with this post we could add an advertisement seeking help from a coin processing facility employee, who can definitively explain the details of their company's coin processing process... especially pertaining to halves. Until that happens, I'll continue to :read2:

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i knew you were probably workin on somethin like this haha nice work man great job

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice up to date and simple.
One topic or segment that would be helpfull would be "on the look out for". For example untill yesterday I did not know the 1971 S lincoln was worth more than a penny. Coins to keep an eye out for. Coins that are common, but have some value other than face. With all the new coins and new CRHs (such as my self) it would help to make it more interesting other than just looking for silver or the elusive (except this week) the 1909 S VDB.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some key dates for the following denominations are: *note, some of these coins are EXTREMELY RARE and many of us will NEVER come across them in the wild, but there's always that possibility, the possibility that keeps me wanting to CRH!

Pennies: 1909 VDB, 1909-S, 1909S VDB, 1910S, 1911S, 1912S, 1913S, 1914D, 1914S, 1915S, 1922 NO D, 1922 WEAK D, 1924D, 1926S, 1931S
Nickels: 1938d 1938s 1939d 1939s 1942d 1943d, 1944s, 1950d
Dimes: 1916d, 1921, 1921d, 1926s, 1931d
quarters: 1932d, 1932s, 1938, 1938s, 1939d, 1939s,
half dollars: 1916, 1916d, 1916s, 1917d, 1917s, 1919, 1919d, 1919s, 1921, 1921d, 1921s, 1938d, 1955,

more questions:
WHAT IS A NIFC HALF DOLLAR?
A NIFC Half dollar is a "not intended for circulation" half dollar, the years the US mint did not release coins from circulation. These include the following half dollar dates: 1970d, 1976s, 1987p, 1987d, 2002p/d, 2003p/d, 2004p/d, 2005p/d, 2006p/d, 2007p/d, 2008p/d, 2009p/d, 2010p/d, 2011p/d, and soon enough, the 2012p/d. These coins are not necessarily valueable, I do not keep the 2002-present half dollars, but the 1970d is a 40% silver half dollar. The 1976s is also 40% silver.

WHAT IS A PROOF?
A proof is any coin with an "S" mintmark on it that shows a shiny background and sometimes a frosted head or higher details. A higher quality coin designed for collectors. Some people broke open proof sets to cash in coins. Most are not valueable.

HOW CAN I TELL IF A PROOF IS SILVER
You can tell if a proof coin is silver simply by comparing the edge, ig the edge is white, it is proof, if the edge is copper(brown) colored, the proof is not silver. I keep all proofs.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Can moderator stick this post to the top?
Otherwise, what is the reason of making this post at all?
Good job Buffalo boy, there are too many newbie questions showing up lately, it's ok to have people asking, but if that is a daily routine, this is not the way to go.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of adding another topic, just add more info to the original. I one place is better.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread