Some heartless jerk...

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Is marking coins in my area with white out on the rims. It wears off on the top, leaving it only in the reeding, and makes it stand out like silver. Very frustrating. :BangHead: Anyone else run into that?

Also, what is your success rate after finding repeating coin marks in a box? Does it change roll to roll, or do you generally find that the same coins stick together?

Upvote 0

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
I see it in my area also, frustrating for sure. I do not believe there is any rhym or reason to marked coins. There can be silver among a near full roll of marked coins. Thanks and Good Luck. Dennis.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it surprises me for a sec until I focus on it, ughhh joy for a second

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw, what an awesome ratio of finding 40%s you have there!

OP
OP
Ben-Ro

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
GEOFF said:
btw, what an awesome ratio of finding 40%s you have there!

Look for a thread called 'if I'm lyin I'm dyin' and you'll know why. (im on my mobile, not sure how to link it)

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Is marking coins in my area with white out on the rims. It wears off on the top, leaving it only in the reeding, and makes it stand out like silver. Very frustrating. :BangHead: Anyone else run into that?

Also, what is your success rate after finding repeating coin marks in a box? Does it change roll to roll, or do you generally find that the same coins stick together?

I find the same marks in several of my boxes from other hunters, ussually red dots and green dots in the R of liberty and lots of other marks, but I still find silver. I don't find that the same coins allways stick together though, I pick up and dump into 2 different carriers and have still recieved a couple of my marked coins back.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I don't know what the white stuff on the edges happens to be, but I get it too.
(I think this because it seems to be a universal phemomenon.)

My guess is that it is not intentional at all, but something that the coins are exposed to....perhaps some white substance that reacts with the nickel (like verdigris on copper) that wears off the face, but accumulates in the reeding.

Sure is frustrating, whatever. Oh, well,

Keep on Rollin' !

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see ones like that all the time. The more you see them, the easier they are to spot ahead of time. When I first started that would really tick me off. Now I just toss them back in the pile and move on. It's the only thing you can do.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I find the same marks in several of my boxes from other hunters, ussually red dots and green dots in the R of liberty and lots of other marks, but I still find silver. I don't find that the same coins allways stick together though, I pick up and dump into 2 different carriers and have still recieved a couple of my marked coins back.
I get so many of those red R's that I don't know how he would have any time to CRH in between marking all of those coins. Alot of red and green ears or eyes too, there are so many marked coins anymore that I would be surprised to not see them in my boxes. It doesn't matter how many are marked or by who as far as the silver goes, I've had some of my best boxes just recently and they all had marked coins in them. I've seen a few recently with solid silver looking edges that I thought were maybe plated that I just tossed back.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
somebody has messy hands at the end of their search!
i've seen sharpie edges painted silver, never white out.
HH
Buff

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been dropping rolls off here and there with "64," "65-69," and "50s" written on them.

I have seen a lot of the faked silver edges, they dont fool me any more at all. Once you get the look of silver everything else fades into the background.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a D*ck move. I would flip if someone was doing that in my area.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I should be flippin about every box, it happens all the time here.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like good strategy to me... If u can trick someone, maybe they get frustrated = less competition = more silver for us = early retirement

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paint all them bicentennials silver edged... people would be hoarding them even more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread