Got scold by TD for using penny arcade *with a twist*

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd think by the title it is the same post over and over, it's not but read on......

Little background: this is the main TD I do weekly dime box pickups and gave away countless treats to. I know all the tellers by first name and they all say hi to me with my name out loud when they see me.

For the 1st time in 10 months, I got scold for doing the usual on the Penny Arcade, NOT by the tellers, NOT by the manager, NOT by the bankers but by the SDB guy (prolly was told by the manage to bark at everyone).

SDB guy: "What are you doing!" as I was picking off the coins that stick on the magnetic bin tray.

me:"Im taking the coins that got stuck back."

SDB guy:"They are not YOUR COINS!!" "These are foreign coins that belong to the bank and we ship them out!"

me *acting nicely with smile*: "Well I deposited all my coins into the bin and I know some are stuck and I am trying to unload them into machine by loosening the metal bin tray."

SDB guy:" No they dont get stucked! (total BS for those who use the PA) If you do that you should go ask one of the tellers to help, You dont touch the metal bin! it's not your property!!"

me *losing the smile and having a brain freeze: "Okay....."

SDB guy:"NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH THAT PILE OF COINS YOU PICKED FROM THE BIN??"

I looked all that pile of about 50 cents canadian and 40 euro cents feeling no point to make a scene and get blood pressure high, picked them up and dropped them into his hand.

SDB guy then walked to the head teller and told her, "ship them away." and walked into his SDB counter at the back of the bank where the Penny Arcade in front of him.

Then the head teller looked at me and said: "Are you OK?" I said "No." told her that my coins were stuck at the bottom reject tray. She asked a teller to help me and things were smooth after.

SCREW this SDB guy! I even treated him donuts couple months ago and we chatted nicely and today I seem completely new to him there to ruin this only Penny Arcade of his bank!!

I think I'd keep doing what I do but with quicker speed and when SDB guy comes over again, I am going to tell him, "I deposited my coins into the machine and I am taking back the coins that get stuck in the metal bin and they BELONG TO CUSTOMERS LIKE ME, NOT YOUR BANK."

What are your suggestions folks?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that sucks, i've had the same thing happen to me with the MANAGER of the TD bank... i now have to "ask for assistance" when i dump coins there, but believe me, i hit that bank hard now... i've even seen the manager pocket the foreign coins from the magnet right in front of me... but not wanting to lose this bank altogether, i just shrugged it off.

pardon my ignorance, but who's the SDB guy?

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes the bank will give me the foreign coins, sometimes they keep it. The nice thing is the silver doesn't stick to the magnet :)

You are right though. The foreign coins should be returned to the customer since they don't get counted toward anything. The bank is just stealing them at that point.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are your property. Not the bank's. If you don't get paid for them by the bank why should they get them?

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SDB guy = Safety Deposit Box guy, this TD bank has a SDB counter at the back area where the guy can surveillent the only Penny Arcade of the branch.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Cost of doing business, folks.

We play by their rules or pretty soon they will tell us to take our toys and go home.

Arguing with Bank staff is like yelling at the Burger King guy who makes your burger. Sooner or later the sauce will be just a little too runny.

Just sayin.

Keep on Rollin' !

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean off that EVERY TIME if they don't like it to bad. I have every right to recover my coins. I guy told me not to do it again. I do and that time it was a counter i did'nt use. They have 2 counters. Most td give me what i want. I only did halfs and they would give me all the change stuck in the return tube. Most of the time i would pull out the metal try and clean it off right away. And i would put my bag in front of the try and take what ever is there. Some times i ask if i can have the coins from magnet in side the counter. They have to take it apart for that one. Its hadden deep in side. Its very hard to pull the coins off of it its very strong. Well i not have over 22 lbs $150 in coins from canada..Now that i do bags 90% of the time i don't get to much funny money!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would absolutely throw a hissy fit! It would be well worth possibly losing my dumping privileges permanantly over a handfull of foreign coins. :thumbsup:

The bank indeed did not pay for the junk stuck to the magnet. However, you could surmise that it is the bank's property as the people who either knowingly or unknowingly dumped the foreign junk into the machine in the first place basically attempted to commit fraud.

Regardless, they are at least as much the bank's property as anyone else's, including yours. The bank certainly has the right to either allow or not allow you to "clean" the magnet. You didn't dump any foreign coins, but yet you somehow feel as though every foreign coin on the magnet belongs to you? I don't understand. :dontknow:

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would absolutely throw a hissy fit! It would be well worth possibly losing my dumping privileges permanantly over a handfull of foreign coins. :thumbsup:

The bank indeed did not pay for the junk stuck to the magnet. However, you could surmise that it is the bank's property as the people who either knowingly or unknowingly dumped the foreign junk into the machine in the first place basically attempted to commit fraud.

Regardless, they are at least as much the bank's property as anyone else's, including yours. The bank certainly has the right to either allow or not allow you to "clean" the magnet. You didn't dump any foreign coins, but yet you somehow feel as though every foreign coin on the magnet belongs to you? I don't understand. :dontknow:
Its ok i don't care who understands. If i run coins in the counter and i want whats on the magnet its mine!!!!!! If they want the coins that people leave. They should clean it off after every dump. Some times thers so many its a few hands full!! I know of counters that the return tube leans back ward and the returned coins don't come out. I know where they are and i stick my hand deep in the return and some times get $5 worth of coins. Screw them. There a bunch of lazy fools. Reading books sitting on there buts all day. I say get all you can good luck and stick up for your coins!!!

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this branch is the only branch in the 2nd most business populated area in one of the top ten city of USA, so I doubt it'd tell the customers to go piss off with their coins.

From what I have heard from the tellers, they change bags 20 times a day and people dump coins with carts, in thousands dollars a time.

I dump about $40 ~ $80 mixed coins a day three times a week around evening and I clean the metal bin and check the bottom reject tray. Is that over board??

The machine broke down 3 or 4 times the last 30 days, maybe thats why im being treated like a dumper with $200 balance.

God damn it! I have always been super nice to teller/banker there and they all like me but this SDB guy from the back is barking at me caz he doesnt get to see the daylight much.

I feel a need to address this crap, not to the manager since he is new but I WILL speak to the head tellers(my main chocolate takers) about it, I dont care risking losing privilege on this branch. I will even close my 5 digit balance account if i have to. I have other banks that take boxes and bags from me with ZERO problem.

I do hate losing the weekly dime pick up though. LOL. I get some good rosie ratios from them. ughh decisions decisions!!

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I dump about $40 ~ $80 mixed coins a day three times a week around evening and I clean the metal bin and check the bottom reject tray. Is that over board??...

It is if the bank says that it is. Its their machine. They have every right to tell you to stay out of it if they so desire.

If I was you, I would talk to your teller buddies and find out who has the final "say-so" on what happens to the rejected foreign coins. But, regardless of what they say, I would never in a bazillion years lose a good supply bank as well as an occasional dump bank over a few foreign coins that never belonged to me in the first place.

Pick your battles wisely! :icon_thumright: It wouldn't be worth it to me, but its not my battle.

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Pick your battles wisely! :icon_thumright: It wouldn't be worth it to me, but its not my battle.

I absolutely respect your opinion and all others as well, its that I kinda like those foreign coins in this branch since its a high transaction branch, lots of coins get stuck there everyday.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yet another CRH thread with forum members acting entitled and complaining when they don't get their way...

Remember that coin counting machines are provided for customers to use by private institutions who pay for and pay to maintain the machines with no cost to its customers.

Malfunctions aside, thinking that you have any entitlement to these reject coins is absurd. Walking by and grabbing coins left in the slot is one thing. But what you guys are complaining about is abusive and manipulative to what the function of the coin counter is.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say that the only people who are entitled to the coins would be the original person who dumped all of their change into the machine. Since the magnetic ones don't get returned the person doesn't get a chance to get the coins back. It would be one thing if the coins went into the return slot and the person left them there.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, if the bank wants to give me the coins on the magnet that is one thing but I'm not going to demand they give them to me. I know that I don't have any foreign coins in there. It is another thing though when I go to a TD Bank and their plastic pipe that leads to the return slot is not set at an angle or the bag of halves is blocking the coins from coming out. Generally though they will open the machine and let me retrieve anything laying in the plastic pipe.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully cents and nickels will start to include steel and then they won't be able to use a magnet at all!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully cents and nickels will start to include steel and then they won't be able to use a magnet at all!

It would then be easy for Brinks to cull copper cents and later zinc cents (they would probably be valuable in high grades, as the zinc gets corroded).

Last edited:

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GEOFF said:
I will even close my 5 digit balance account if i have to.

I don't get why people threaten to close their large balance accounts. Sure that would be a big chunk of money that the bank is losing but don't you think they would be even more upset if you kept just the minimum balance in there and you still came in to use the coin machine? That's just my opinion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread