5 years and hundreds of boxes later, here it is!! ☺◘*~_PICTURES_~*◘•☺

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 years and hundreds of boxes later, here it is!! ☺◘*~_PICTURES_~*◘•☺

Hey folks, i've been a nickel searcher pretty hard for the last 5 years or so, but up until recently, i've had no problem obtaining regular mixed-date boxes until my main supply bank switched carriers to garda, since then, garda has been ALL 2012 nickels even to this day, for about 4-5 months now. I can only get circulated nickel boxes up north of me(about an hour) in a different area. I did a little road trip to get some nickel boxes last week and I guess it paid off!

I was opening a nickel box with hardly any pre 1960 nickels, out pops a beautiful coin from 1950, but knowing my luck, i was sure it would be from philly. Nope!! 1950-D!! it took 5 years and hundreds of nickel boxes, but i got it, in mint state(or near mint state) quality too!

now i only need 1938d and 1938s to complete my nickel collection from circulation!
thanks for reading,
hh
buff
"it's out there!" as rileyboy would say.

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg

Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I'm still chasing that one. Bought an UNC off my bullion dealer for $5 (Good deal, it's probably a MS65) to take up the hole in the meantime, but still waiting for one from a roll...

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey minky, i actually found the 1939d in almost the same shape as this 50d pictured above back in the beginning of this year, i can get pictures of it on request if anybody would like to see :)

@tim, pm sent
thanks everybody for the comments, only a few more coins to go, then of course, UPGRADES... I'll never be done with nickel searching :)
hh
buff
Nice find BB. That is the hardest one to find even if the 39D is worth more. I just found my 3rd 39D last night in a box, it's in the best shape of any I've found but not quite as good as your 50D. I've been finding alot of Buffalos in my boxes lately, mostly dateless but like 4 or 5 a box. Keep looking you'll find that 39D.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice, one of the rarest nickels out there. Congrats

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!

Whatever you search for, it's nice to find something that returns on your enormous investment of time.

Good luck on your other two key dates!

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks folks, i am still deciding what to do with the 50d nickel, i know putting it in the cardboard book WILL ruin the coin over time, just wondering if I should buy a plastic older or something for it...
advice anybody??
hh
buff

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy said:
thanks folks, i am still deciding what to do with the 50d nickel, i know putting it in the cardboard book WILL ruin the coin over time, just wondering if I should buy a plastic older or something for it...
advice anybody??
hh
buff

I would buy one for the book as a symbol and keep this one in a safe place so you can enjoy it without compromising it.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first 1950 d last night, and in very good shape! Not quite as nice as the one you found buffaloboy, but close:notworthy: I feel pretty lucky to have found this coin with the amount of nickels I do search.

image.jpg
image.jpg

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
Congrats! I still remember the first one i pulled. I was screaming and my wife thought i was nuts, which i am but whatever lol

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, i've been a nickel searcher pretty hard for the last 5 years or so, but up until recently, i've had no problem obtaining regular mixed-date boxes until my main supply bank switched carriers to garda, since then, garda has been ALL 2012 nickels even to this day, for about 4-5 months now. I can only get circulated nickel boxes up north of me(about an hour) in a different area. I did a little road trip to get some nickel boxes last week and I guess it paid off!

I was opening a nickel box with hardly any pre 1960 nickels, out pops a beautiful coin from 1950, but knowing my luck, i was sure it would be from philly. Nope!! 1950-D!! it took 5 years and hundreds of nickel boxes, but i got it, in mint state(or near mint state) quality too!

now i only need 1938d and 1938s to complete my nickel collection from circulation!
thanks for reading,
hh
buff
"it's out there!" as rileyboy would say.

View attachment 669372 View attachment 669373
Nice! And it appears to be in super-nice condition. I found a 1950 and a 1950-D recently in the same box. My 1950-D was a little banged up, but still a nice find. From what I can tell on this forum, the 1938's are even harder to find than the 1950's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread