CC Hunters CRH Log

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC Hunter's CRH Log

Thought I would add one more log to the site in case folks want to see how another CRHer is doing. I'm admittedly a low-volume CRHer of halves. I'll check my change, coin machine reject trays, etc. for other coins worth keeping, but my efforts have been focused on halves. I just started this a little over a month ago, although I've collected coins for much longer.

Here are my results:

Type Amount # Coins 40% 90% Total Ag
Box $500 1000 0 0 0
Loose $2 4 0 0 0
Loose $4 8 0 1 1
Loose $2.50 5 0 0 0
MWR $30 60 0 0 0
Box $500 1000 0 1 1
Loose $0.50 1 0 0 0
MWR $30 60 0 0 0
Loose $6.50 13 0 0 0
MWR $10 20 0 0 0

Totals $1,085 2171 0 2 2

So, two '64 Kennedys to show for my efforts so far. I'm picking up another box this Friday from a different bank. The boxes seem like a lot of effort for little gain these days, so I may focus more on halves that banks have on hand (MWR, CWR, loose); we'll see.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I look at my recent results more closely, 2013 isn't turning out to be such a good year.

Until February 15, I was hitting small amounts of silver here and there (1.25 silver coins per box, on average). Since then, with the exception of one really good box that made a huge difference in my total results and averages, it's been skunk city. Nothing since February 15 other than the one good box.

I've said it before and been wrong, but this time I really feel like things are drying up around here. I've tried to change things up by trying different branches and different banks, by picking up loose halves, CWRs, MWRs and boxes, but all for naught (I should add that the CWRs were most likely dumps). I don't even find proofs anymore or NIFCs (not that I care about NIFCs I already have). The halves I've found all seem very picked over. I don't do big volume (about $3K so far this month), but I figure that I'm doing enough coins from enough different sources that I should be turning up something silver and/or collectible. Hell, even the reject trays and tubes have been empty much more often that they were in the past.

Going on vacation for a week a couple days from now; maybe I'll hit a couple banks while I'm away for the hell of it. Otherwise, I may cut back on my time focused on CRHing around here (but will do some minimal amount). I've had some success lately buying small collections from people, keeping what I need for my own collection, and selling the rest. I should stick with that for a while.

Even though the silver price hasn't done much the past couple years, I can't help but think the hobby has gotten more popular (I'm an example of a relatively recent entrant), making things harder.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Even though the silver price hasn't done much the past couple years, I can't help but think the hobby has gotten more popular (I'm an example of a relatively recent entrant), making things harder.

You also have to remember that people aren't cashing in their saved coins as much since the holidays have passed. They needed X-mas money, and now they are getting their tax returns in. I hope it might pick up more toward summer when people have to start paying for vacations.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks FF. I only started last fall, so I haven't yet seen any seasonality in this hobby.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, just as I was despairing I went across the street to make sure that I had cleaned out the $250 or so in dumped halves. The teller confirmed that I cleaned him and the vault out, but he said he had $4 in loose. I said I'll take them. Scored the '64 below.

Checked in with the other teller and all she had was 2 rolls I gave her ages ago in my early CRH days. I said I'll take them back. Now the branch has no halves and is sure that I will take any they have.

Attachments

• image-3761947372.jpg
    image-3761947372.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Sag and Mercury - the people selling the gold already had an offer at melt value, so I didn't feel like topping that.

I would have passed on them at melt, though there could have been some with a numismatic premium.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been totally derelict in keeping up this log. Without giving all the gory stats about how much I've searched, since my CRH "career" started almost a year ago, I've found 74 Ag halves (62 40% and 12 90%). I am not a high-volume searcher, and do boxes less and less.

I don't keep stats on Ike dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels and cents searched, but I've scored probably around 200 Ikes (no silver, but still sold them at a profit), a handful of silver quarters (Washingtons) and dimes (Roosies and Mercs) (most in reject trays, but some in CWRs), one war nickel, no buffalo or V nickels, lots of wheats but no indian head or older cents.

My best scores have probably been buying coins at good prices from people who are getting rid of old collections, not "epic" CRH finds.

Last weekend I scored a lone '66 half out of $5 in loose halves, but otherwise have been on an Ag drought in halves since mid-June.

The coin machine hoppers/reject tubes/reject trays have been good to me. I reported earlier scoring $15 in clad dollar coins in one visit. Today I picked up a SBA dollar in the reject tube, together with some clad and foreign. The hopper magnet seems to always have some foreign (scored over $2 in Canadian today from one visit).

That's about it in a nutshell.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice teller told me she had a nice coin for me - turned out it was a '57d quarter. Also spied a '64d dime in her tray and snagged that too. The half is from a small amount of loose halves in a teller's tray last weekend.

Attachments

• image-3532664769.jpg
    image-3532664769.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 90

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice teller told me she had a nice coin for me - turned out it was a '57d quarter. Also spied a '64d dime in her tray and snagged that too. The half is from a small amount of loose halves in a teller's tray last weekend.

Nice quarter!
Wica

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much to report lately as far as CRH is concerned. I have not found much (at least in the way of Ag) but have also not been hunting too hard. My last box was a total skunk and the box after that seems to have been delayed. Only "scores" have been random things found in and around coin counters when I dump coins. Have been checking reject tubes and magnets like crazy, adding to my foreign pile (and a steel cent). I have also been finding a fair number of small dollars. Today, I dumped the remnants of a CWR search that amounted to less than $10. However, I found 2 SBAs in the reject chute, together with foreign and a small amount of clad.

I've been more active on the buying front. I bought a small collection of Morgans, Walkers, a Ben, Standling Liberty quarter, Mercs and a Barber dime. I paid melt for everything but the Morgans. I paid $25 for two of the Morgans (my usual buy price for common Morgans in decent condition) and $30 for a Morgan that was common but in what appeared to be AU or better condition. I needed all 3 Morgans for my collection and I was surprised how many holes in my collection I filled with the other Ag coins. The 1911 Barber dime as a big uprade from the slick I had in my collection. Not great prices, but I will pay up for collectible Ag from time to time. Most sellers of "junk" silver near me want well over melt.

Bought a small bag of foreign coins at a very disorganized estate sale for $5 (they didn't even know they had the bag until I asked them how much they wanted for it). I knew that $5 was too much but didn't feel like haggling over a few bucks. A woman working the sale grabbed the bag to "make sure there was no gold or silver in there". Satisfied, she handed back the bag to me. She missed a silver Swiss half franc and UK 3 pence. Not a lot of Ag, but worth about 1/2 what I paid for the bag. Also found some U.S. cents and clad dimes in there. The rest of the foreign was cool and I added them to my foreign bag, most of which comes from reject trays/tubes.

I am in the process of buying a collection of old foreign (some very old, like 1600s and 1700s) and tokens. One civil war token is really nice and on any day is worth much more than I feel like spending (I am not really a token collector), so the seller asked me if I would sell it on ebay for him and split the proceeds. I am looking forward to it - the token should sell for several hundred.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second roll into a new box. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• image-619617855.jpg
    image-619617855.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Kender was a good omen. No more Enders, but the box turned out to be well above average for me:

6 90s and 12 40s:

- '51 Ben
- '64 x 5
- '65
- '66
- '67 x 5
- '68 x 3
- '69 x 2

Also some NIFCs: 2003d, 2004d and 2007d

Attachments

• image-16621503.jpg
    image-16621503.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3522117180.jpg
    image-3522117180.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 90

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang sweet box- congrats

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Forgot to say that I was shorted $2 on my last roll!

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds at the dump bank today, just sitting on top of the coin machine. One Roosie and a little pile of foreign and US clad. The foreign included a 2 euro coin, a 2 pound coin and a 2 dollar Canadian coin. And got a Wheat when I cashed out.

Attachments

• image-3749408288.jpg
    image-3749408288.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1425363782.jpg
    image-1425363782.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 74

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a nice pile of reject coins, especially the silver!

HH

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$160 in mixed CWRs today (no halves). Skunked for Ag, but did score some wheaties: '36, '44 (s? need my loupe), '46 x 2, '49 (s? need my loupe), '52d, '55 and '57d.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, I seem to be making most of my finds at dump bank. Got an interesting mix of foreign this morning: Nicaragua, India, Jamaica, Canada, Mexico and others. My favorite find was a 1949 UK half crown (alas, it's not silver).

Attachments

• image-1226849036.jpg
    image-1226849036.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image-280116561.jpg
    image-280116561.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2440718683.jpg
    image-2440718683.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been ages since I've updated this log. Most of my finds since Sept. 20 are reflected in one-off posts in the forum. In general, I have really slowed down by boxes and hunting in general. I've been busy with other things and do a pretty decent job of buying coins using CL. Anyway, my stats for halves searching Sept. 20 are as follows (keep in mind that I am not perfect about updating my own spreadsheet, so there could be some MWRs and loose halves searched that don't show up in the total searched, but I usually record all my keepers):

Searched $3,363 face in halves (including $3K in boxes), found 11 40% halves and 11 90% halves. Includes 2 Bens and 1 Walker. Haven't yet found a Barber in the wild. Half of my boxes have been skunks (not including NIFCs), so that's not too bad. Since I started this hobby a little over a year ago I've found 85 40% halves and 29 90% halves. I've searched about $26K in halves, so anyone who thinks this is easy money should think again.

I've also had a few dime and quarter finds but no longer keep stats on my non-half searches. Found lots of wheats too, but no IHs. No Buffs either. If I search coins other than halves, they come from CWRs that a few branches set aside for me. Ikes have completely dried up for me. Banks never have them anymore (kicking myself for not holding onto some when I've found them in the past).

By far most of my "finds" are foreign coins and common U.S. coins that I find when I am dumpiing. I generally have stopped posting these since the coins are generally not that valuable. A few months ago I sold a bunch of euro, UK and Canadian to a guy who travels a lot. Since then, my bag of foreign is growing nicely again and I am finding all sorts of interesting coins that I will divvy up into collections for my kids at some point.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread