Bank ordering fees and why some people have trouble CRHing...

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fellow CRHers,

My sister was the teller manager at the largest bank branch in North Carolina for years and when I started CRHing I asked her how much it costs banks to order coin and ship coin. She informed me that about 90%+ of banks pay a flat monthly fee to Brinks, Loomis, etc. for unlimited coin orders or a threshold of coin orders per week (say $5000) and unlimited shipping out of coin. This has been confirmed to me by two other teller managers over the years responsible for ordering coin.

In my humble opinion, the problem only comes in when:

A.) The Brinks/Loomis, etc. guys complain to tellers about doing their job (lifting heavy boxes) which they are legally under contract to perform. This is where stories like "we pick out all of the silver" and "you are just searching through your own dumps." As we long term hunters can all attest to, these stories are total lies (except maybe in Phoenix:BangHead:).

B.) The tellers are sick of ordering, storing and handling your coins boxes (usually due to people being rude or unappreciative and getting excessive at a particular branch and not rewarding tellers by being friendly and dropping off chocolates once a month).

C.) They have other business customers or customers requesting coin orders that max their limit. At one branch I attempted to order half dollars at earlier this year the teller manager said "we would love to but we can only order $5000 in coin per week and we have a customer who has been ordering $3000 (6 boxes) of halves for years. We need the other $2000 to fulfill business coin orders. If he ever stops ordering we will call you and you can order half dollar boxes."

That's my 2 cents, if a bank won't order for you, reassess your relationship with the bank. Do they make any money off of you and are you a good customer? I have stopped ordering half boxes and just do pennies primarily now but I never got a complaint or denied an order because of being a leech. I have numerous mortgages with multiple banks and when they see I have been a "good" customer for years they order coin for me no problem. Those of you who keep $25 in an account and order multiple boxes a week and dump thousands a week then complain you get cut off and blame the big guns need to look in the mirror.

HH,

$ilver$urfer:hello:

Upvote 0

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. But from what I gather your opinion is probably unpopular with some in this crowd.

You also forgot to mention penny-bombing a branch with $1500 in halfs when the managers dare question the volume and extra work this hobby costs the bank. This is America, right? The constitution says you have to take this $1500 in halfs and your corporate office says you have to smile while doing it!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I try not to do big batch CRHing just for that reason. Also I don't have the capital in order to do that. But while a lot of people on here are finding silver, take a look at how many banks they go to everyday, how many boxes they go through in a week. I don't have a whole lot of banks and credit unions around me, so I do 1 box or two at a time, because seriously I don't want to get banned from the few banks I go to.

Oh BTW, has anyone heard of PNC bank? I saw one in our town and was wondering if it was a national bank or just a michigan only business? If anyone from michigan knows, let me know. Its on the way to Northwestern bank, that I found out has a coin counter with no limit to account holders.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try not to do big batch CRHing just for that reason. Also I don't have the capital in order to do that. But while a lot of people on here are finding silver, take a look at how many banks they go to everyday, how many boxes they go through in a week. I don't have a whole lot of banks and credit unions around me, so I do 1 box or two at a time, because seriously I don't want to get banned from the few banks I go to.

Oh BTW, has anyone heard of PNC bank? I saw one in our town and was wondering if it was a national bank or just a michigan only business? If anyone from michigan knows, let me know. Its on the way to Northwestern bank, that I found out has a coin counter with no limit to account holders.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Google is your best friend.

Myrick

Sep 21, 2012
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

There is a PNC in downtown Charleston. :)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

I think Tim orders at least part of his volume from PNC.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PNC is alright, usually Garda or Loomis in my area and often dumped rerolled coins, though. Many branches do not order halves.

I didn't know most of the banks pay a flat fee. That explains why they are willing to order coins without charging a fee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions