Halloween Find

mmccarty

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never picked through rolls of coins before, but today I was at the bank getting rolls of half dollars for costume prizes at our annual Lions Club kids' Halloween party. I got seven rolls and came home and set them on the counter until Halloween. I walked past them several times and then started wondering if there might be any silver in there. I wasn't even sure which dates would be silver or if it was common to find silver, I just knew in the back of mind that there was a possibility for silver half-dollars.

I went through the seven rolls and came up with 36 halves dated 1964-1969. After checking for info here, I found that I had 1 90% and 35 40% halves.

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is called beginners luck.

Put them aside, and get more 'regular' halfs for your coin game you were going to play. You just made close to $180.

OP
OP
M

mmccarty

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is called beginners luck.

That's what I figured. Our small-town bank does a lot of coin counting for folks, so I assume that they were from caches that people recently brought in.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I figured. Our small-town bank does a lot of coin counting for folks, so I assume that they were from caches that people recently brought in.

buy-all-the-rolls.jpg

Attachments

• qm.gif
    qm.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 342
Last edited:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
::Falls off the couch laughing:: Love the pic Accord!!!

And I am soo happily jealous mmc. Congrats on the find. Go back to the bank and get a couple more rolls. Worse thing, you have more half dollars to give away at the costume party. Best, well you know...

Hugs and smiles,
Garoulady

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Every newbie story I hear they get at least 20 silver halves! Haha! Beginners luck! Nice find!

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Get all the rolls! Save the non-silvers to give out. What state are you in? My boss's last name is McCarty, and he is a Lion!

OP
OP
M

mmccarty

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get all the rolls! Save the non-silvers to give out. What state are you in? My boss's last name is McCarty, and he is a Lion!

I'm in Wisconsin.

I might go back tomorrow and get some more. They were all hand rolled so I assume somebody just cashed in a bunch.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just think of the good Karma you would get if you handed out the silver ones for Halloween. You may even get some kids into collecting coins instead of using drugs..

JK good find, I like em hand rolled:laughing7: You better go back and empty the vault!

OP
OP
M

mmccarty

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back and got the rest of what they had, which was ten rolls. I found nothing...

It must have been somebody's collection. Today there were several rolls of nothing but bicentennial coins. The silver I found yesterday was mostly in three or four rolls. Yesterday was just the luck of the draw, I didn't even buy them intending to look through them.

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first ever roll to search (last week) had a 1970 in perfect shape. Ive ordered 5 boxes at three banks. All will be in Thursday and I'm ready! Hopefully I'll find so much silver that I can have some silver bullets custom made.

OP
OP
M

mmccarty

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took them to a local dealer this afternoon and got what I figure to be about 60% of their value. They gave me $2.75 for the 40% coins and $10.50 for the 90% coin. I'll give it back to the Lions Club. They'll be $90 ahead which covers the costume prizes plus a little extra.

OP
OP
M

mmccarty

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.75 for a 40% is low balling. I suggest looking for a new LCS.

I know. I even told him the story and that it was for the kids' Halloween party, but I'm sure that stories don't pay their bills.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Catcake said:
My first ever roll to search (last week) had a 1970 in perfect shape. Ive ordered 5 boxes at three banks. All will be in Thursday and I'm ready! Hopefully I'll find so much silver that I can have some silver bullets custom made.

Goodluck please let me know if you make silver bullets! Could you pour molten silver into the tip of a hollow point? (safely?)

Anyway keep me in mind i'll pay you for some Ag bullets. .357 mag / .38 spcl / .40 / or 10mm please and thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread