Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^I have a 20$ roll of those suckers!are they all 90% silver?

are you sure you don't have a 1970's version? The coin you are freaking out about is a Special Mint Coin, released for collections, in lots of (1) ONE - . I doubt anyone in the world has a roll of 20 of them ( unless you are a niche collector, or hoarder)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, I'm late to this fast developing thread/chat. A whole lot of confusion going on with some valid insight. I'm only going to answer the main question asked to me. Yes, modern commemorative dollars are all 90% silver. As has been mentioned, some Ikes are silver. And the poster who was referring to Ikes as commemoratives is actually correct. They were meant as a circulating commemorative. The dollar was the only denomination that was available.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
are you sure you don't have a 1970's version? The coin you are freaking out about is a Special Mint Coin, released for collections, in lots of (1) ONE - . I doubt anyone in the world has a roll of 20 of them ( unless you are a niche collector, or hoarder)

Actually, I have rolls of commemorative silver dollars. I bought up prestige proof sets and whenever a deal presented itself in the late nineties. The prestige sets would have the outer packaging damaged (acrylic scratched, the padding smelly due to being in a smoker's home, etc.) I would sell off the other proof coins in the set individually to offset my initial costs. The silver dollars would go in rolls and in the safe.

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
hey Floridafinder,My brother designed that app.his name is Jeremy Ware.He isnt famous yet,but it took him 16 months to make the app.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I'm late to this fast developing thread/chat. A whole lot of confusion going on with some valid insight. I'm only going to answer the main question asked to me. Yes, modern commemorative dollars are all 90% silver. As has been mentioned, some Ikes are silver. And the poster who was referring to Ikes as commemoratives is actually correct. They were meant as a circulating commemorative. The dollar was the only denomination that was available.

Thank you for answering me, I was just curious because since a few of the commemorative halves were 90% silver, then I was wondering if the same applied for the big dollars.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nickel Searcher 219 said:
hey Floridafinder,My brother designed that app.his name is Jeremy Ware.He isnt famous yet,but it took him 16 months to make the app.

Wow, that's really interesting. It is a very nice app. Did you get a free copy? There is a bug in the chart for the Ike dollars, and it would be nice some updates for commemoratives under Special Minted. Not criticizing it, I use it all the time. Just didn't expect a sibling of the developer to be on Tnet. Can you pass those those tidbits on? :)

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FloridaFinder said:
That is great info, thanks. I have over $100 in Ikes that I need to go through some in great condition. I have $50 in Ikes added to my halves order at a local bank coming in next week so I'll have

You can order Ikes?

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
CladSmoke said:
You can order Ikes?

I have tried before but usually just found what they had on hand. All banks and all branches always said that they couldn't specify which type of dollar coins on the order form - and it would almost always be the small gold colored dollar coins.

Today the branch that I had just opened an account at had some especially nice tellers, and one called the coin supply company and asked if they had Ikes. They said they'd tack all that they had there onto my order of halves. Today was a good day and I hope the day that order arrives is even better with some great finds!

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FloridaFinder said:
I have tried before but usually just found what they had on hand. All banks and all branches always said that they couldn't specify which type of dollar coins on the order form - and it would almost always be the small gold colored dollar coins.

Today the branch that I had just opened an account at had some especially nice tellers, and one called the coin supply company and asked if they had Ikes. They said they'd tack all that they had there onto my order of halves. Today was a good day and I hope the day that order arrives is even better with some great finds!

That is awesome. Good for you man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions