Ryedale Machine and Pre 1941 Alloy Content

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I have been running the Ryedale and am amazed at the speed it sorts copper! I have been reading all the posts I can find about it and came across a post that mentioned pre 1941 pennies had a inconsistent copper/zinc alloy and thus would many times be kicked into the zinc pile. I have found hundreds of wheats and only a handful are pre 1941 so I am wondering if this is true.

What are your experiences with this? Do you sort through the zinc's before dumping, and if so, have you come across pre 41's? I would hate to be dumping all the really good ones if they were getting mixed in the zinc bag.

Thanks
MU

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the best way to sort because of this is with a zinc cent first, and then sort the rejects from that pass with a copper cent. I always keep the sensitivity dial turned about one-third up -- this way the machine rejects cents that don't quite match the comparison coin, though at the end you have to hand-sort the rejects from both passes (less than 1% of the coins).

If you just do one sort with a copper cent in the comparator, the "zinc" bucket is in fact the reject bucket, including whatever did not match the copper cent's signature. This could include steel cents, wheat cents from 1942 and earlier, damaged cents, dimes, foreign coins, S mint memorial cents, etc.

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Haven't seen you post in awhile. How are the halves and dime hunting down in Iowa?

Now to your question, I have had a ryedale for about two years and only put in a 1981 copper penny when running it. I also dump my bags into a separate box, so when I dump ithe pennies into the machine, I am constatntly looking for wheat pennies as well. Personally, it takes to long to put it through a second time and I don't miss many wheats when dumping the pennies from from the box into the machine.

That's how I do it and I have thousands of 1910's-1941's.

Good luck and HH, JJ

I have been running the Ryedale and am amazed at the speed it sorts copper! I have been reading all the posts I can find about it and came across a post that mentioned pre 1941 pennies had a inconsistent copper/zinc alloy and thus would many times be kicked into the zinc pile. I have found hundreds of wheats and only a handful are pre 1941 so I am wondering if this is true.

What are your experiences with this? Do you sort through the zinc's before dumping, and if so, have you come across pre 41's? I would hate to be dumping all the really good ones if they were getting mixed in the zinc bag.

Thanks
MU

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Thanks for the advice. Is there a reason behind the 81 penny?

The halves are much better now and I do work in about 8-10 boxes a week of halves along with the heavy dime load. However, adding the Ryedale is throwing my normal amounts all over the place.

The dimes have really slowed in my area the past 6 months. Average is down to about 1 per box. I received new boxes for 2 weeks in early December which was really odd and a first for me. The new boxes usually hit around late June and do not appear again until the next June.

MU

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. Is there a reason behind the 81 penny?

The halves are much better now and I do work in about 8-10 boxes a week of halves along with the heavy dime load. However, adding the Ryedale is throwing my normal amounts all over the place.

The dimes have really slowed in my area the past 6 months. Average is down to about 1 per box. I received new boxes for 2 weeks in early December which was really odd and a first for me. The new boxes usually hit around late June and do not appear again until the next June.

MU

You can do dimes with the Ryedale too. You just have to buy a #22 feed wheel. I am not sure how accurate it is but I found one silver dime in a box once using the Ryedale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread