Collecting $25 $1 coin rolls? Worth it?

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the bank one day and decided to get $50 dollars worth of $1 dollar coins in two, $25 dollar rolls.
The teller is a nice friend of my moms and told me she had some that I might like, one was all Lincoln roll and the second was a Jackson roll. Are these worth collecting/hoarding?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few rolls myself, the teller told me they accidently ordered 4 boxes of dollars instead of 4 boxes of quarters (OOPS!!!)... And they come in $1000 boxes. The rolls I bought were the same solid rolls you got from N.F. String&Son wrappers.

I am considering selling some rolls as I am very low on cash for crh though.
hh
buff

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Are they in US Mint wrappers. Even if not, you may want to sell them on Ebay.

OP
OP
J

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are US mint wrappers with the names on them, the white blue writing red stripes type if i remember correctly. I put them into my crystal coin jar next to my other change =D

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If you have the room in your budget to save them, then why not. They are an underrated series that doesn't get the attention they deserve. Knowing the tiny mintages (later issues) and the fact that the coins when exposed to environmental factors tarnish excessively, there very well might be demand for mint state specimens in years later. I wouldn't commit a large percentage of your budget trying to corner the market, but saving a P/D roll of each won't hurt.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the BU rolls from the mint go for a premium on ebay. I just got a Ulysses S. Grant roll I was gonna sell on ebay, but then I spilled some beer on it. Now it's going on craigslist!

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends what kind of clad you like best, you can get more clad for your money if you get half dollars..more clad weight.

eolson3

Apr 11, 2011
maybe I am biased but I feel like most of these
"collector coins" minted today will turn into the bi centennial halves tomorrow... but if they fetch a premium... go for it.

OP
OP
J

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I can keep the roll collection small, I just got back from WellsF and my teller said she would call me anytime when she finds something good. I just ordered a box of half dollars from her so this will be my first box of coins, I made a separate thread " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/331815-my-first-box.html " I think they arrive monday or tuesday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread