ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a Ryedale, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to do that by hand.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do it by hand because a machine might not discriminate between a 1959d memorial cent in AU shape and a 1914D wheat cent in AU shape.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do it by hand because a machine might not discriminate between a 1959d memorial cent in AU shape and a 1914D wheat cent in AU shape.

The machine is only for sorting Coppers. Or if you got the other wheels silvers. I'd say machine sort and then plow through the backs to pull out the Wheaties

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sort with a zinc cent in the comparator first and then whatever is rejected is not zinc. Then sort the rejects with a brass cent in the comparator and whatever is rejected is not brass. Then hand-sort the rejects and look through the brass (accepted) cents for brass or almost-brass Wheat cents (1944-58) and Canadian cents (1996 and before). The rejects from the brass pass should contain bronze cents, including Wheat cents from 1909-1942 and some Lincoln memorials from later years which you can put back with the accepted brass cents by hand. There may also be Indian head cents, dimes, steel Canadian cents (1997-2012), steel U.S. cents (1943), Euro 2 cent pieces, cents from the Bahamas, Bermuda, etc., corroded zinc cents, and other anomalies in the rejects from the brass pass.

I keep the sensitivity dial turned up a bit on both passes, since that should raise the bar for what is accepted and cause more coins to be rejected. I've seen the Ryedale make mistakes a few times, usually bronze wheat cents being accepted as zinc in the initial pass, but this is rare. I've never seen it miss an Indian head this way.

Brass U.S. cents are 95% copper, 5% zinc and bronze cents are 95% copper and a mixture of zinc and tin for the remaining 5%, usually.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I find that doing two passes takes too much time. The time spent on the second pass could be used on a second box instead, and even if you miss one or two here or ther, you get more by doing twice as many boxes. As for wheats ... I hand sort the copper side after sorting. And as I sort, I watch the reject 9not zinc) side for older wheats and IHs. Don' tmiss them that way either. Look at older threads which tells you a LOt more about the ryedales.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you sort with a zinc first you only have to sort the rejects which is only 20-30% of the total coins. That's the way Andy does it according to my emails with him.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I "sandwich" a layer of coppers between a couple of 12" x 12" pieces of plastic (polycarbonate I think), clamp the plastic together with three small spring clamps, scan the reverse of the cents, flip the clamped plastic, and scan the reverses again. This is an easy way for me to scan 75-100 cents at a time. The thin plastic is from the window department at Menards building supply.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I simply dump out coppers, spread them out and scan them. I then do the same with zincs as that is where all the good ones usually go with the pre 41 copper/zinc alloys being inconsistent.

I understand it would be easier to do the zinc penny in comparator first, however with the large amount I run through there, I look for ways to cut down on double sorting and having more wear on the machine than is necessary.

Good luck
MU

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
The biggest thing is to make sure you go through those zincs. I had no idea about the alloys being different in the pre 1941 cents until after 4 days of running the machine and dumping hundreds of dollars in zincs. I cringe to think of what old wheats or IH could have been in there.

In less than a month, I have found 3 IH cents, and well over 100 wheats from teens, 20's and 30's in the zinc pile.

MU

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
BCD11 said:
I "sandwich" a layer of coppers between a couple of 12" x 12" pieces of plastic (polycarbonate I think), clamp the plastic together with three small spring clamps, scan the reverse of the cents, flip the clamped plastic, and scan the reverses again. This is an easy way for me to scan 75-100 cents at a time. The thin plastic is from the window department at Menards building supply.

That is a awesome idea!

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shouldn't you just hand sort if you're going to look through the copper and the zinc anyway?

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is much faster to look through cents that have been (mostly) sorted than to sort all of them by hand...

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
toorude89 said:
Shouldn't you just hand sort if you're going to look through the copper and the zinc anyway?

Trust me, when your just scanning for wheats and not having to look at every date on coin to determine copper/zinc, the time difference is HUGE.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But you also said you look for copper in the zincs too. You'd have to flip them and check the date to be sure if its copper. Even a spot check can take too long. I agree for wheats while I admit I don't do it I may start. I also do a quick scan for wheats each time I crack a roll. If there are a few coppers in ur zinc let it go.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
toorude89 said:
But you also said you look for copper in the zincs too. You'd have to flip them and check the date to be sure if its copper. Even a spot check can take too long. I agree for wheats while I admit I don't do it I may start. I also do a quick scan for wheats each time I crack a roll. If there are a few coppers in ur zinc let it go.

I do not look for copper in the zincs. Would be a big waste of time and defeat the purpose of the machine. It takes little time spreading out the zincs and spotting any old wheats or IH. I equate it to opening a roll of halves and seeing that silver rim popping out.

Now the copper pile can take a bit of time as the colors and conditions are not so dramatic. However, I am not as concerned if I miss some here and there in that pile as 95-98% of wheats are post 1941.

MU

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a awesome idea!

Thanks MU.

It took me a couple flips to perfect the technique so pennies weren't flyin' in all directions, but after that it did speed things up.

You're right, it takes a little time to spread the cents but I found I could get a good feel of how many cents to grab to make the spreading easier.

I laugh everytime I see your avatar, or whatever the picture of the cat blazing away is called.:laughing7:

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other

I have modified this idea using some popsicle sticks cut in half to make a frame around three sides of one piece of the plexiglass. Keeps the cents from falling out and makes a nice litte guide for dumping them in the pail. I am using 2 9''x 12'' pieces. No need for clamps which really speeds things up for me. I will probably make a second one with a half frame on each piece of plexiglass so my dump side has an edge against me. I will take a pic of it once its done. Thank you BCD11 for introducing this idea!!

CR

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always run the zinc pile back through with a zinc penny as the comparison and check the reject side. Always a few wheats there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread