What is the best way to get coins out of the rolls?

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first started CRHing I would only do one box at a time so I would just break the rolls by hand. Once I got a little farther along and started looking through more than one box in a sitting, I would smack the wrapped coins with something in order to push a few coins through the side and thus break the wrapping. This presents the obvious problem of putting dings into otherwise nice coins... :BangHead: I am considering trying to use a box cutter to cut one of the crimped ends of a roll: is that a good idea?:icon_scratch: I might be going about this completely wrong and would appreciate some advice...???

Upvote 0

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Most rolls have a paper flap. I used a blunted paring knife to lift the flap then pull the paper off. Coins usually come out like they went in.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi folks,
i usually use a finger nail or something blunt to unroll the rolled ends
then use a pencil eraser to gently push through the other end.
makes it easier if you hold it lightly due to friction and of course use a cloth.
works great for me and no damage
we dont want to ding a 1943 copper due we,lol
hope this helps.HH

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a razor blade, place rolls on their side, and slice away. I've cut myself quite a few times doing this method and lost feeling to my left thumb for about 2 weeks, i do not recommend this method.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you need to worry about damaging coins if you just rip from the side of the wrapper. No need to unravel, etc. unless you need to reroll.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Staple remover end of a letter opened to tear the rolls at the seam. No damage ti the contents but the paper is trashed.

Rascal

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess we all have our special ways lol
just so theres no damage.
HH

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a butter knife to remove the paper on one side and a Sharpie to push the cents or dimes out the other. For halves I use my thumb, and for plastic wrapped coins I just tear at the seam and push the coins out rather than using the butter knife. But I think my method is too slow since I read in another topic that TimZim searches boxes of halves in 7 minutes and someone else said they do it in 2 minutes.

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bite the end of the paper and use the tension to start a rip and do the rest with my right hand while using my right index finger to push the roll into my left hand. I can search a box in about 8 minutes or so.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the dull side of a butter knife also.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not concerned with trying to save to MWR's so I just rip them at the top with my pointer finger and tear it down the side, seems easy enough for me, no extra tools needed. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I bite the end of the paper and use the tension to start a rip and do the rest with my right hand while using my right index finger to push the roll into my left hand. I can search a box in about 8 minutes or so.

I honestly would not put the rolls anywhere near my mouth, money and coins are the dirtiest things we come in contact with everyday. HH, Maverick.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nydus Touch said:
When I first started CRHing I would only do one box at a time so I would just break the rolls by hand. Once I got a little farther along and started looking through more than one box in a sitting, I would smack the wrapped coins with something in order to push a few coins through the side and thus break the wrapping. This presents the obvious problem of putting dings into otherwise nice coins... :BangHead: I am considering trying to use a box cutter to cut one of the crimped ends of a roll: is that a good idea?:icon_scratch: I might be going about this completely wrong and would appreciate some advice...???

If you have to turn the rolls in rolled and not loose in bags, then you would most likely want to save the machine wrapped paper rolls for speed and not having to buy wrappers. You can save them by only opening one end. As others have mentioned a blunt pointed object will do it - I have tried a BIC pen top, a nail clippers handle end, and my latest one is a plastic dental flosser. I cut the pointed end off and then round it off. Attached is a picture.

My method is: slide out the roll with your thumb, edge check for silver or pristine clad, check dates on any that you want to save, replace with a clad any you've removed, slide the roll back in, and fold the edge over.

I search an average of 25 boxes a week and I only started ordering boxes in December. Everyone has their recommendations but this is what has worked for me. I'm starting to have trouble dumping volume with one bank now and am switching to mostly bags at another.

Attachments

• image-538929831.jpg
    image-538929831.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 96

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I am only doing 1/2 dollar coins at this time. I use a needle nose pliers to grab the top of the roll. I then tear the top and then open it the rest of the way with my hand. Trying to use a finger nail or something to unroll the sides was killing me.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screen shot 2013-01-14 at 3.12.27 PM.png

Attachments

• qm.gif
    qm.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 205
Last edited:

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mleblanc138 said:

I agree with maverick on this one.. Coins are absolutely filthy and covered with germs.. There have even been studies done that showed most of the coins had fecal bacteria on them.. I am hesitant even getting them close to my face when I am edge checking.. But biting a roll has to not only be horrible for your teeth but will definitely heighten your chances of getting extremely sick.. I am not telling you what to do, but I don't think that is a good idea buddy..

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
For crimped half dollar rolls I use a razor blade (in a handled holder) to slice away a portion of the crimped end and then rip the rest of the wrapper.
For Brinks plastic dime/cent rolls I slit the roll lengthwise with the razor blade and fold the roll ends toward each other.
Best not to be daydreaming or drinking when waving the razor blade cutter around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions