New to this, pointers?

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Hello everyone,
I just started CRH last week. I had thought about it for a while then finally grabbed $100 worth of halves at my local bank just to try it out. Thought I might find one or two, but to my surprise I found 6 90% and 116 40% coins! So needless to say I know this is a once in a lifetime fined, but I am still hooked on the hunt. My question is (since I have skunked since then) do quarters and dimes show a higher success rate than halves? I am not a coin junkie, just dig for silver because I have no idea what else to look for in terms of which coins are rare. So any pointers on that would be great as well.

Good luck on your hunts!!

Upvote 0

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves are definitely most common the others can be found too though.
That was a definite monster hall don't expect those types very often those are pretty rare finds.

OP
OP
B

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Oh I found that out real quick with my next $400 dollars worth of skunks lol. I will post a pic of the haul when I get home to brag a little on it :). So sticking to halves is best for beginners?

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
bigmike0377 said:
Oh I found that out real quick with my next $400 dollars worth of skunks lol. I will post a pic of the haul when I get home to brag a little on it :). So sticking to halves is best for beginners?

I would recommend sticking to halves. Quarters got even more attention once the State quarters came out, and dimes can be slow and steady producers or almost all skunks depending on your area. Silver nickels were only produced in WW2, so not as many years were minted. Halves get turned from collections so they get put back into circulation somewhat regularly.

HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found one good box of halves in 5 years. Dimes have produced consistantly for me. All depends on the area.

OP
OP
B

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Well here was my find from the $100 in halves that I promised to post pics of. Guess I will give dimes a shot to keep me busy this weekend

ForumRunner_20130208_150241.png

ForumRunner_20130208_150302.png

since my banks are out of halves. Thanks for the advice everyone.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one ridiculous find you made there and like others have said, don't get used to it.. I am the type of person who follows the silver bricked road.. a little while back I stopped searching boxes of halves because I was going months without finding one piece of silver (and my woman was about to kill me).. Then I started searching high volume dimes and they were producing BIG Time.. Now my dimes have been absolutely horrible, giving me barely anything for my trouble.. Oddly enough, the few boxes of halves I have been searching lately are producing again, so I am going to stop ordering dimes and focus on halves again.. Just follow what ever is producing at that time, this way you are always finding silver and adding a nice variety of coins to your stack.. Quarters are an absolute waste of time in my area, so I won't even go there..

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, monster first score!

Stick to halves, overall they produce the best. Read the beginners guide if you haven't already, lots of good info there.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
122 of 200 coins were silver! Holy crap! that is unheard of these days. Those had to be a CRW collection dump. I doubt those numbers occurred in the 90s in MWR let alone now. Great find! Cherish it!

OP
OP
B

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
They were, she said someone cashed them in a few days earlier. There was $150 worth but I missed out on the other $50.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's a nice score to remember, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

I still remember a nice score I had a few years ago when I scored a solid roll of BF's that really got me started CRHing. At the time I thought that would be the CRHing find of a lifetime but since then I've had a few scores even better than that. You just never know what you might find with this hobby.....as we all know thats what makes it so much fun...the thrill of the hunt.

Btw, you should probably keep checking with that same bank....you probably won't have as much luck as you did the first time but you never know.....that same customer might just bring back some more silver again. :happy3:

H$H!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
I go by there twice a week because it is a block from my house. Have picked up a 40% and a 90% that a teller had loose but I think they were out of the same batch that I scored on. Nothing else since then but I'm not giving up that easy. :)

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok i know who you are your bigscores brother ?? Right?? Your from?? And this was from $100 in halfs. And the 0377 is that your age?? bigscores is about 27 !! Yea if i were you i would swith to dimes. AM SURE THEY WILL BE BETTER.122 out of 200 is good but it could be better. Good for you hope you find even better silver next time.

OP
OP
B

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
No I don't know anyone on this site. Just stumbled upon it while looking for CRH info. I am from KY. I tried some dimes with no luck over the weekend. I have only been at this for two weeks though so I am still trying to find banks that have halves regularly. Dimes keep me busy in the mean time.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you sound just like and old friend. Hey happy hunting if you need any help just ask Timzim

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What part of KY are you in? I grew up in Lexington.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions