40% finds

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
Asked for some halfs today at the bank.. The guy looks in his drawer, pulls out 5 dollars worth.. I saw the silver right away! He was a sniper.. He starts reading the years on them, but I already saw what was there.. I know he thought about pulling some back because he started to pull them off the counter, but thought about it and did the smart thing and handed them over! Lol. Anyway, I ended up with (2) 1967s, and (1) 1969. Not much considering all of the solid rolls being pulled lately.. but ill take it!!!

Attachments

• image-3840636124.jpg
    image-3840636124.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! It's nice to score some silver without laying out a lot of cash. Last week a teller had 1 40% in $3 worth of halves.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score, remember we have to keep the snipers in check!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll never understand why they wait until someone asks for them to search the dates....

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
CC-Hunter said:
Way to go! It's nice to score some silver without laying out a lot of cash. Last week a teller had 1 40% in $3 worth of halves.[/.

Nice! I know what you mean! I also picked up 330$ in CWR dimes... Skunked! But finding those halfs made it all better! Lol

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
SilverForBrains said:
I'll never understand why they wait until someone asks for them to search the dates....

I'm not sure either.. But I was getting a bit nervous.. Especially when he said to me, "have you ever found the silver ones?" Right then I knew I got lucky! Hah

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverForBrains said:

I asked a teller at a bank monday if they had halves she said yes 13$ worth she walks over to the drive thru tray grabs them and starts walking back with the coins, she takes about 5 steps then turns around and puts one back. Comes back with 12.50 in halves, i ask is this all the halves you guys have? N she said yes.

I dont get it either takes 2 seconds to look, i understand if your going to take silver for yourself but if a customer asks then you look and find it, it should go to the customer because you were to stupid or lazy to look and buy it first.

Glad he didnt stiff you on yours tho, good find!

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a teller snipe in front of me when they were giving me coins, but I have seen a teller look carefully at some halves once when I was depositing a few re-rolled dumps. I mainly dump using machines now, but on more than one occasion I've had a teller get very excited when I dropped off rolls of halves. One teller even told me she was going to exchange them with her co-teller using cash from her drawer, and then withdraw them from the co-teller (I guess they can't withdraw from themselves). All in all, I'm convinced a lot of tellers near me snipe, but I just haven't seen them in the act or discussed it with them (I sometimes wonder whether it's just better for me to buy it from them above face). I've only found one 90% half that wasn't in a box but I find a fair bit of 40%'s, so I think the tellers know to grab all the pre-1965 stuff but all of them may not be aware of the 40% halves.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say around 25-35% of the tellers do a quick edge check when they give me loose halves

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since they are in front of you, next time just say, what is that, 5 dollars worth right? Then just get out your money.. This has helped me many times when tellers are about to snipe in font of me.. Make sure you let them know Again that you already noticed how much they have in their hand..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread