What Am I Doing Wrong?

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought $250 in quarters, dimes and nickels for my first time CRH. With my computer by my side and CAREFULLY checking every coin I ONLY found a Cayman Island dime! I bought these coins from our small town bank and teller wasn't very nice to me.

Took these coins back to a different bank in a neighboring small town the same day and exchanged the rolls for some $30 in halves (all they had), $260 quarters, and 10 rolls of dimes. Tellers were super nice. But found NOTHING at all.

Took those rolls to a different bank in a large town and exchanged for all quarters and a few rolls of nickels just for the heck of it. Teller was not nice. Again, NOTHING.

I was very careful. Did I not buy enough? Is this normal? I did read several threads but I didn't see anyone having as bad of luck as me. :(

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As bad of luck as you?....lol, are you serious? I have had weeks, and weeks with nothing but skunks doing $1,000 to $1,500 of coins per week......many on here have had skunks streaks much, much longer. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Here is what I can promise you, if you continue to buy rolls and search them, sooner or later you WILL find silver, but I also promise you if you quit now, you wont find any...lmao

Quarters are the worse denomination to try, stick with dimes, and halves. Or sort pennies for wheats, those are real easy to find, good luck....keep at it, this game is not for those with no persistence!

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Hang in there. I am new to this also but the first thing I learned is that it is a slow process but when the stars align perfectly and a little luck hits you will find a big score. Until then a silver dime here and there will give you a little thrill. I would skip the quarters, they don't pay off well for me anyway. Buy all the halves you can find and side check dimes to increase the volume you can do in a day. The main thing is to just keep looking. You may burn $5000 of halves and not find anything or you might find an all silver roll. You just never know. Try different banks for dime boxes or bags. I have found a few banks near me that pay a lot better than others. Might be that their counters are not calibrated as well for rejecting silver.....not sure. But their are definitely some banks that are better than others, and try to get some customer wrapped rolls as well if you can find them.

Vergie

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop quarter searching for sure. Stick with dimes and halves. boxes of nickels usually net at least a war or buffalo.

People are more likely to post their finds rather than their skunks so it can seem easier to find silver than it actually is.

Keep on searching and you'll start to turn up some finds.

HH

OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I didn't realize I would have to go through so many. I really did enjoy myself even though I didn't find anything. I have a small collection of coins from when I was a kid. I found them all just going through people's change. I thought that going through $1000 worth of rolls I would find at least 1 coin. Lol. Anyway, I do plan to keep trying.

Thanks for the tips and your time.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you might be better off finding a bank who will order boxes for you

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait till you search $10,000 in halves in a week ( like I have) and come up with nothing, this hobby takes LOTS of patience and LOTS of searching. Good luck Powder. HH, Maverick.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I didn't realize I would have to go through so many. I really did enjoy myself even though I didn't find anything. I have a small collection of coins from when I was a kid. I found them all just going through people's change. I thought that going through $1000 worth of rolls I would find at least 1 coin. Lol. Anyway, I do plan to keep trying.

Thanks for the tips and your time.

To put things in perspective.

2013 so far

189 rolls of nickels searched, $378 and I found a single War Nickel or one for every 8 boxes searched

401 rolls of dimes searched, $2005 and I have found only 4 Silver Rosies or 1 for every 2 boxes searched

20 rolls of quarters searched, $200 and skunked

2372 rolls of halves searched, $23,720 and 32/40% - 7/90%

One 40% half found for every 74 rolls/1.5 boxes ($740)

One 90% half found every 339 rolls/6.75 boxes ($3,390)

Sometimes you just go through slow times, my slow times have been for going on for roughly 5-6 months now.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I didn't realize I would have to go through so many. .

Its silver HUNTING not silver COLLECTING, there is ALOT of work! It seems that all the newbies look at all the pretty pictures of the RARE scores and seem to totally ignore all the conversation about how much time/money/effort is spent on this hobby for minimal return.

So:

SKIP QUARTERS
ITS ALL ABOUT VOLUME
BE UBER NICE TO THE TELLERS
ITS ALL ABOUT VOLUME
THIS IS A HOBBY, YOU WILL NOT GET RICH
STICK TO HALVES/DIMES
FINALLY - ITS ALL ABOUT VOLUME!!

Good Luck!

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby and strap in.. :laughing9: That is only the beginning..

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to work retail, and I promise you no 90% coin made it to any bank

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right. We should all stop now since the getting isn't good any more. I encourage all of you to stop.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Law of large numbers. Thats all there is to it.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't quite get why someone that dislikes CRHing would post in this forum???? :icon_scratch:

JHof88

Jan 13, 2013
Is there any reason why quarters are bad and sticking to halves/dimes is better? I like doing nickels personally, it's not nearly as frustrating! Lol

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it means I don't get the fun of looking thru thousands of coins for a silver one

You have obviously never hit a big box of keepers.. :tongue3: Also, please keep in mind at all points during this discussion that the key word of importance is HOBBY

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say best word of advice is, a. Buy boxes not just minor amounts of rolls. B. Set up a dump bank to make dumping coins a lot easier. C. If your frustrated after the first run question yourself on if you can handle this long term. (Many go on skunk streaks) an lastly I'd say try cents or nickels if your frustrated. Cents and nickels almost always have a keeper or 2 or 30. Welcome aboard and happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread