What Am I Doing Wrong?

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought $250 in quarters, dimes and nickels for my first time CRH. With my computer by my side and CAREFULLY checking every coin I ONLY found a Cayman Island dime! I bought these coins from our small town bank and teller wasn't very nice to me.

Took these coins back to a different bank in a neighboring small town the same day and exchanged the rolls for some $30 in halves (all they had), $260 quarters, and 10 rolls of dimes. Tellers were super nice. But found NOTHING at all.

Took those rolls to a different bank in a large town and exchanged for all quarters and a few rolls of nickels just for the heck of it. Teller was not nice. Again, NOTHING.

I was very careful. Did I not buy enough? Is this normal? I did read several threads but I didn't see anyone having as bad of luck as me. :(

Upvote 0

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Is there any reason why quarters are bad and sticking to halves/dimes is better? I like doing nickels personally, it's not nearly as frustrating! Lol

Quarters got picked clean from people searching to complete the 50 state sets from what I hear. Idk for sure, I just know I have not found a single silver quarter in my searching.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
... I did read several threads but I didn't see anyone having as bad of luck as me. :(

That's because most of us don't post over and over again about our skunks; we're much more likely to post about successes. Although maybe we'd have fewer people trying out the hobby if we did post about each skunk...

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What former teller said...

I havent posted pics up in a month or 2, but that doesnt mean I dont find any... just not always "worthy" of posting :P

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my bit of advice. Ask yourself why you started. If it was because you heard that you could make a lot of extra money for nothing doing this, or you saw all the pics and videos of big finds, then stop right now. You are not going to get rich doing this. The only way to find consistent silver is to search large amounts, have many order banks, many drop banks, and spend a lot of money in gas. If you decided to start doing this because you like the thrill of the hunt and learning how to "track and chase down big game", then keep searching. Increase your bankroll, and you will gradually learn what to search, how to talk to banks, and what you could reasonably expect on a hunt. Again if you are in it to get rich, STOP NOW and put what money you have into the stock market or someplace else, it isn't going to happen here.

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
Here is my bit of advice. Ask yourself why you started. If it was because you heard that you could make a lot of extra money for nothing doing this, or you saw all the pics and videos of big finds, then stop right now. You are not going to get rich doing this. The only way to find consistent silver is to search large amounts, have many order banks, many drop banks, and spend a lot of money in gas. If you decided to start doing this because you like the thrill of the hunt and learning how to "track and chase down big game", then keep searching. Increase your bankroll, and you will gradually learn what to search, how to talk to banks, and what you could reasonably expect on a hunt. Again if you are in it to get rich, STOP NOW and put what money you have into the stock market or someplace else, it isn't going to happen here.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I have good terms with one bank they keep silver halfs for me or any off change because they know IM a collector I have gotten many odd looks when I ask new banks because of my age (21) but now I have a collection worth over 20 grand in silver just from crh. Mind you there not all 90 + % but nun the less it's ashame that people melt down silver coins without looking them up first. Just my .02

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I hardly think it's necessary to cite a source. There have been numerous posts on this board of people selling to refineries, such as Midwest Refineries.
Yes, I am aware of that. The op made it sound (to me) as if the general public ("people") were melting silver, "without looking them up first."

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all reality very little silver gets melted. These "refineries " also sell silver. I believe they buy then sell for a profit. I'm sure they probably process culls but resell is where the good money is at.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know the refineries resell for a fact, or just conjecture?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to their website and see the bags they have for sale. (Apparently Midwest doesn't but I have seen others that do). They may still sell to dealers that sell by the bag.

Last edited:
OP
OP
powderpuf20

powderpuf20

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys!!! I found one!! I'm so happy!

I followed the advice and picked up a box of dimes. I'm about a 1/4 way through it and found a 1963-p dime.

I'm so excited! Thank you all for your help and time. This is so fun!

This dime is worth more to me than the sliver. It's all about the hunt!

Oh..one more thing...going through the change in my purse, just a few coins, found a wheat. 1958. Funny cause I had just gone through a bunch of cent rolls and didn't find a thing. :)

Powderpuf

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I am aware of that. The op made it sound (to me) as if the general public ("people") were melting silver, "without looking them up first."

Many people send off silver, and the refineries don't look them up either, so many rarities could be melted.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found 2 silver quarters, which puts me just below the median number for this forum. There is the outlier of Wicka, who has 227 quarters, but don't expect that to happen anytime soon. The average is close to 1 per $5000 for quarters. I would suggest taking CWR of quarters though, as you never know when granny deposits her silver.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys!!! I found one!! I'm so happy!

I followed the advice and picked up a box of dimes. I'm about a 1/4 way through it and found a 1963-p dime.

I'm so excited! Thank you all for your help and time. This is so fun!

This dime is worth more to me than the sliver. It's all about the hunt!

Oh..one more thing...going through the change in my purse, just a few coins, found a wheat. 1958. Funny cause I had just gone through a bunch of cent rolls and didn't find a thing. :)

Powderpuf

Hey, congrats on your first crh Ag. I can totally relate to your excitement. When I find silver I get excited far more than what the coin is actually worth. Good job.

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
Hey, congrats on your first crh Ag. I can totally relate to your excitement. When I find silver I get excited far more than what the coin is actually worth. Good job.

When you go threw cent rolls don't just look for wheat cents but also coin errors

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobby is the key word here. And halves - I decided to spend the last few rolls as taking them back to banks well, they insisted that I use their machine and pay a premium for the services. Which I do not like. The local convenience store did not want to take halves as they didn't "fit" in their in store safe. Good grief. Also, try giving a half dollar to someone under 25 and check out the look you get. They don't know what they are.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rumor has it that the U-Scan machines will let you pay with as much coin as you can haul. I have not tried it yet. but worth looking into if you can't dump your halves

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions