Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run an overclocked abacus, cooled by a mountain creek, running on pure unicorn horn shavings.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Because some people still like getting viruses.... :laughing9:

A computer is much like a house, you need to properly maintain it and secure it.

If you run Mozilla Fire Fox browser

Adaware, Spybot Search and destroy, Malware bytes and Avast Free anti virus software. You should never have a problem getting viruses. Your computer is basically locked down from those things because spybot fixes known problems with you browser ( doesnt work with chrome ) and avast will stop you from going to know sites with dangerous content while scanning every thing you download as well.

All free software on a computer that costs fractions what a Mac costs and is faster and can run more programs.

Whats better is I can upgrade my system as I see fit. Right now I could really use a newer graphics card for the newer games coming out and a new power supply. With apple that means buying a whole new computer, for me that means buying the parts I need and spending the 5-10 minutes to install them. Combined the top of the line video card and a power supply to support it would run me between $500-$700, whats a new mac run these days? $3,000 on the low end and my computer would still smash it in most all areas.

Sadly, I cant condone buying a new graphics card so it wont be happening any time soon :D

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could care less what anyone else does.. I am not the best person with computers so that obviously explains it.. All I know is I used to own PCs and continued to face typical errors and problems including viruses no matter what programs were supposed to help.. I Bought a mac and in 6 years never had one issue or hiccup. It just worked plain and simple... That is what it's all about for a moron like me who knows nothing about computers..

OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could care less what anyone else does.. I am not the best person with computers so that obviously explains it.. All I know is I used to own PCs and continued to face typical errors and problems including viruses no matter what programs were supposed to help.. I Bought a mac and in 6 years never had one issue or hiccup. It just worked plain and simple... That is what it's all about for a moron like me who knows nothing about computers..
Well i know less then you mine will get hooked up when my wife does it. This week some time! In the past i paid some one to come in and fix it!

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

If you are getting viruses than it is not the PC's fault, its yours.

Download those programs I mentioned, install them and run them. I will make it easy for you.

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser ? Free Download ? mozilla.org

Overview | Spybot © ? - Search & Destroy <=- Spybot Search and Destroy

avast! Free Antivirus | Download Antivirus Protection Software

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

Ad-Aware Free Antivirus and Free Antispyware software download. - Lavasoft

Download and install. Run Spybot, update, immunize your system, it will protect you from tens of thousands of spyware, malware etc.

Now... stop opening Emails from people unless you are specifically expecting the email from them.

This obviously isnt meant for you since you said you now own a mac but this will help others.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I work in IT and have 17 years under my belt. PC have ruled the market, Macs are a better product that you pay a big premium for, but PCs are what pay my bills. Maybe when I sell of some of my CRH found 40%ers as bullion I'll finally be able to buy a Mac. Hehe

Whichever you choose you can't lose. For the price of a Mac you could get 2 PCs, and they both will run well (Macs are more stable but you pay $$$). With the PC running Windows you will have to back up your info often and format and reinstall after a number of years, much sooner than you'd have to on the Mac.

PCs running Linux (free OS) are more stable but you have less programs available for Linux. You can find free programs to do most of what you would do on Windows, i.e. Office, semi-advanced photo or video editing, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread