WALL STREET JOURNAL REQUEST

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Goodmorning Everyone,
Now, I've been approached by an editor from the Wall Street Journal looking for information from US Coin Roll Hunters,
the purpose of me making the thread, was to get everyone's opinion on this. Have you been approached by this guy? Have you given him information? Should I give him information? Should I be honest ;)?
What do you guys think?
Thank you,
Wickaboag.

Upvote 0

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby is already dead. Tell him everything, including the fact the hobby is dead.

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
Tell him everything is hunted out no more silver no more rare coins no more thing. Lol I don't know why people wouldn't want you to tell people get more people into the fun hobby but people are just to greedy and want all the coins to there self. Most people will try it then they get skunked and they will stop. I would tell him and once people see how much money they would have to.put out for gas and coins and know the odds are not in there faver they won't bother

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's honestly not a good idea to tell him anything. It's one thing for people to get involved in the hobby by reading about it on message boards or seeing youtube videos. Having this hobby blasted in the wall street journal would be awful for the hobby. Not because people are going to join the hobby, but because bank executives are going to see the article. We do not want this hobby on their radar. It could lead to some corporate-wide coin policies that eliminate the supply of halves to us.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him everything is hunted out no more silver no more rare coins no more thing. Lol I don't know why people wouldn't want you to tell people get more people into the fun hobby but people are just to greedy and want all the coins to there self. Most people will try it then they get skunked and they will stop. I would tell him and once people see how much money they would have to.put out for gas and coins and know the odds are not in there faver they won't bother

People IN the banking industry will read it.

People with large bankrolls will read it. Even if they skunk out and quit, someone that can order a few grand outright can cause a lot of damage.

This is better kept as a low key hobby. People can come to the site and find out, but no need to advertise it. I know for a fact right now some of my local banks are having trouble with n00bs who got scammed by that book/email going around. It may not last much longer like this.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
PM sent, accord makes an important point, people in banking will read about it, and try to alter bank policy to curb this. I've spoken to swede's before, and because of popularization, banks there charge alot extra to order a box of coins; we don't need that kinda stuff happening here, this is 'merica.

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't tell him a thing. Any competition is bad competition. What little silver is left will totally disappear. You wanna enjoy the golden years or do you wanna run this train off a cliff?

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not the publicity we want. Of course, if you don't talk, someone else will, so if you decide to talk, make sure you don't show them anything to inspire competition.

Tell them you worry about coming in contact with irradiated coins, chemically contaminated ones, mercury coated coins. Tell them you contracted hepatitus-c from CRH :)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Sent him a very lengthy email on Friday discussing why we don't want the competition.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best thing to tell him is that yes coins can be found, but minimum wage pays better. Between fuel and supply expenditures, it is rare to eek out any profit. Some high volume hunters here would agree. I've been through 1.2+ million coins and have not found anything particular collectable. Short story: we are coin collectors look for certain dates to complete our coin collections. If you don't tell him, some one else will, and they may be a bit more self-promotional.

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you everyone,
I just wanted to see what the general opinion was. I will provide the editor with information that will not jeopardize our hunting experience.
I appreciate everyone's feed back, if you would like to speak to the editor though PM or Email, I will forward your name to him.
Appreciate it.
Wickaboag

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those that read WSJ aren't turning in silver for face value. Those that watch Honey Boo Boo, line my coffers daily.

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one as well. Didn't respond.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Don't trust the WSJ.. they can easily hype up everything talked about.. finding a few coins will turn into dream boxes in the article. This is the WSJ.. only the rich read that stuff. Next thing you know.. some rich Wall Street guy goes out and buys up couple mil in halves. Wall street guys are better off sticking to the markets.. money is faster there.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't trust the WSJ.. they can easily hype up everything talked about.. finding a few coins will turn into dream boxes in the article. This is the WSJ.. only the rich read that stuff. Next thing you know.. some rich Wall Street guy goes out and buys up couple mil in halves. Wall street guys are better off sticking to the markets.. money is faster there.

DACC probably reads the WSJ.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You can tell him 2 words Wicka, "NO COMMENT" :laughing7: HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread