WALL STREET JOURNAL REQUEST

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Goodmorning Everyone,
Now, I've been approached by an editor from the Wall Street Journal looking for information from US Coin Roll Hunters,
the purpose of me making the thread, was to get everyone's opinion on this. Have you been approached by this guy? Have you given him information? Should I give him information? Should I be honest ;)?
What do you guys think?
Thank you,
Wickaboag.

Upvote 0

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally see no advantage, and potential harm, in communicating with a WSJ reporting about this hobby. I'm less concerned about competition given that so many people know about this hobby from the web (and a lot of WSJ readers won't bother with the hobby), but more concerned about banks shutting down orders, imposing fees, etc.

This is not a serious story for the WSJ. It will be a little human interest story, maybe an offshoot about discussions to cease production of cents and nickels, but will in no way be a serious story about personal finance or making money (and the hobby doesn't really make any money for most anyway). Again, the most likely result is that banks will take notice and make things harder, driving more stakes into the heart of this hobby.

All that said, I think the damage is done. All a reporter needs to do is read this forum, and he/she will have plenty of material for a story. Enjoy the hobby while you still can. HH

Last edited:

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would ask what is in it for you?
What do you get out of telling him anything other than, I don't know why I do this. I guess stupidity.
Your name in a little article on page 18 that the vast majority of the world will never see accept just possibly 4 or 5 retired Wall Street Investment Bankers in everyone "backyard. Then with nothing but time on their hands and essentially, as far as most people are concerned, unlimited funds suck the silver out of the local system.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be honest - I work my ass off for a few ounces of silver a week, time that would be better spent doing just about anything. I look for coins because it's fun, period.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better you give him the reality of the situation, than some moron trying to get notoriety by telling him big lies about the insane amounts of silver to be found

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell him if you are diligent you can break your $1 bill into 4 quarters. So you can totally get 4 things for 1, that is a fantastic deal!

BHershberg

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all...
I'm the editor who's been inquiring about your hobby. I appreciate all your reasons for not wanting to talk. I suppose banks might take restrictive measures, but I honestly don't think you'd see an appreciable pickup in competition if this article were ever to see the light of day (and of course there is no guarantee my editors would be interested in publishing anything that may come of this).

My paper each day runs a lighthearted, offbeat story -- and that is how I would pitch this. It's simply an interesting hobby to me -- many stories are derived from the personal experiences of editors and reporters. I happen to like coins and currency. It's that simple.

Anyway, right now I was hoping just to do a bit more research, talk about the hobby to see if there is indeed anything to write about. If you'd like to chat, feel free to PM me. If not, thanks for your consideration and, as they say in the game, HH.

Thanks for all your opinions and insights.
B

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
Hi all...
I'm the editor who's been inquiring about your hobby. I appreciate all your reasons for not wanting to talk. I suppose banks might take restrictive measures, but I honestly don't think you'd see an appreciable pickup in competition if this article were ever to see the light of day (and of course there is no guarantee my editors would be interested in publishing anything that may come of this).

My paper each day runs a lighthearted, offbeat story -- and that is how I would pitch this. It's simply an interesting hobby to me -- many stories are derived from the personal experiences of editors and reporters. I happen to like coins and currency. It's that simple.

Anyway, right now I was hoping just to do a bit more research, talk about the hobby to see if there is indeed anything to write about. If you'd like to chat, feel free to PM me. If not, thanks for your consideration and, as they say in the game, HH.

B

...well now... :-X ...

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally see no advantage, and potential harm, in communicating with a WSJ reporting about this hobby. I'm less concerned about competition given that so many people know about this hobby from the web (and a lot of WSJ readers won't bother with the hobby), but more concerned about banks shutting down orders, imposing fees, etc.

This is not a serious story for the WSJ. It will be a little human interest story, maybe an offshoot about discussions to cease production of cents and nickels, but will in no way be a serious story about personal finance or making money (and the hobby doesn't really make any money for most anyway). Again, the most likely result is that banks will take notice and make things harder, driving more stakes into the heart of this hobby.

All that said, I think the damage is done. All a reporter needs to do is read this forum, and he/she will have plenty of material for a story. Enjoy the hobby while you still can. HH

Is this a joke? People who read WSJ work in the bank/finace industry, therefore they will be more than happy to consider fee's for coins for non-business account holders. Its not just a WSJ story, the people who read it are like digesting a common clad, and will do 10x the volume most of the people do on this. Call the WSJ tell them this reporter is harassing you and have him/her fired. Also, there is a reason they have not contacted me yet, because I'd need to PAY them, if I wanted my name promoted.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a joke? People who read WSJ work in the bank/finace industry, therefore they will be more than happy to consider fee's for coins for non-business account holders. Its not just a WSJ story, the people who read it are like digesting a common clad, and will do 10x the volume most of the people do on this. Call the WSJ tell them this reporter is harassing you and have him/her fired. Also, there is a reason they have not contacted me yet, because I'd need to PAY them, if I wanted my name promoted.

Not all folks who read the WSJ from time to time are in banking:) But I think who ever said that the banks will make more changes added to the ones that they are making right now that will make it more difficult, got it right. I got lucky and got in years ago before everybody and their dog got into this and made it more work than it was yielding.

The reality is that he can start reading through all the old threads and get all the info he wants. That's how I learned(no newbie questions, just read) I personally think that it doesn't matter. At some point sooner than later we are going to see a banking system reset and all the CRHing will be a thing of the past. So don't worry about it, talk to the guy and show him were all just a bunch of cool, smart, forward thinking people. He is right, there might be some banking fall out from this, but sounds like you guys are starting to see that in various towns and banks anyway.

Hey WSJ reporter. I know your looking for a story that your editor ho or she will want to pick up for a light read, but why don't you report on the real story and why all of folks like to hoard silver:) Maybe not quite the light story for a Sunday afternoon read that your searching for but I'm full of ideas if you need any. CFTC, JP Morgan, naked short selling, supply demand fundamentals, QE unlimited, vanishing supplies,etc, need more?

P.S. I will give some cuttos to the WSJ and the young lady reporter on your staff that has been covering silver and PM's lately.

Stop the yellow journalism!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all...

B

Thank you for talking with the forum at large. It is a lot easier to communicate in first person. If you are also interested in currency, I may be able to suggest an alternative route for your article, particularly the currency equivalent of CRH'ing. Occasionally, I will ask for stacks of stacks of $1 and $2 bills from banks and search through them for collectable ones. The things I look for are red, gold, brown, or blue seal (silver certificate) issues, which I will find occasionally. However, there are collectable serial numbers that can be worth many times the face value of the bill. This includes things such as repeaters (e.g. 13131313 or 12131213), Radars (same number forwards as backwards, 12344321), date notes (03062013 corresponding to March 6, 2013, frequently given as birthday gifts), liar's poker (numbers with 5 or more of the same value, 11713211), binary (01011001), solid number (77777777), ladders (89909192, 12345678, or derivatives thereof), and star notes (13723419*). There are also notes called "Where's George", denoted by a third party stamp on the face of the bill. Users can enter the serial number and date to find out where the bill has been previously, as described by other users who have entered the same bill. There is a lot of room for competition in the notes category. I suggest looking though the Paper Currency forum on this site for posts about this type of hunting.

HH
-GC

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There might not be any real harm in talking about it, but there is absolutely no benefit either, so kay bye!

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
Not really sure I understand the reluctance to speak with this person. Any information people wished to gain about the CRH hobby can be jad by reading these forums. People discuss everything from sweet talking tellers to how many boxes they are doing a week, their yields and skunk streaks, what banks have cut them off or wish to charge fees in certain areas. To marked coins. And how to dump them.

I also read the Wall Street journal. I make a good living and have used some brains and you alls kind help not to take over your hobby or attempts to mine the federal reserve of its silver content :). But to spend time with my children educating them on the coins out there and that you have to put forth work and effort to get anything(even if its a few random silver coins or wheat pennies as my wife looks through)?

As people have said. It is not a get rich quick scheme. It is a cool past time with a slight reward Like searching baseball cards as a kid looking for that rookie card except you can trade in all the no keepers for your money back.

Just my thoughts.

Doc C.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone, good morning.

I didn't mean to start arguments, or have rudeness spread. I just didn't want to go behind the back of our tight knit community here without having everyone talk about it first. I honestly don't see to much harm in it, but maybe it's because I haven't been huntin to much. :(
Hope everyone's doing well and finding good finds!
Wickaboag.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone seems to think they can just come to this site if they want, the truth is not everyone knows about CRHing, despite what you guys think, I personally found out by accident looking up info about scrapping metal on Youtube and a CRHing vid popped up, I watched it and the very next day started ordering boxes ( that was over a year ago) and now am searching 22+ boxes every week. I am 41 and had never heard of it, I'm sure there are many many other people in the same boat that givin the info would be all over it ( like me) and I'm the last person that my wife or friends thought would be doing something like this, yet here I am. So this misconception that some have of "Everybody knows about it allready" is wrong. People are desparate now adays and will try anything, yes you say " Aw, they'll try it and give up", well will they destroy your system in the process is what you have ask your self, because if they show up at your bank and get you cut off, just from "trying it" then you both get to stop, not just him. I think it's just best not discussed, when it is dicussed, it usually is inflated from the truth ( Like ponytail boy did there On American Prepper) and none of the down falls are dicussed ( skunks, repacks, getting cut off, fees, ect.ect.) if they showed that side of it, it maybe different, but showing all those pitfalls wouldn't make a good story now would it, only how great it is and how much money you can get, not true. My vote is don't talk about it period. HH, Maverick.

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
Everyone seems to think they can just come to this site if they want, the truth is not everyone knows about CRHing, despite what you guys think, I personally found out by accident looking up info about scrapping metal on Youtube and a CRHing vid popped up, I watched it and the very next day started ordering boxes ( that was over a year ago) and now am searching 22+ boxes every week. I am 41 and had never heard of it, I'm sure there are many many other people in the same boat that givin the info would be all over it ( like me) and I'm the last person that my wife or friends thought would be doing something like this, yet here I am. So this misconception that some have of "Everybody knows about it allready" is wrong. People are desparate now adays and will try anything, yes you say " Aw, they'll try it and give up", well will they destroy your system in the process is what you have ask your self, because if they show up at your bank and get you cut off, just from "trying it" then you both get to stop, not just him. I think it's just best not discussed, when it is dicussed, it usually is inflated from the truth ( Like ponytail boy did there On American Prepper) and none of the down falls are dicussed ( skunks, repacks, getting cut off, fees, ect.ect.) if they showed that side of it, it maybe different, but showing all those pitfalls wouldn't make a good story now would it, only how great it is and how much money you can get, not true. My vote is don't talk about it period. HH, Maverick.

Very true... and very well said

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is nearly word for word my approach I have said the exact same baseball card thing before. So wish my Dad got me into coins vs. cards... The thrill is in the hunt.

Not really sure I understand the reluctance to speak with this person. Any information people wished to gain about the CRH hobby can be jad by reading these forums. People discuss everything from sweet talking tellers to how many boxes they are doing a week, their yields and skunk streaks, what banks have cut them off or wish to charge fees in certain areas. To marked coins. And how to dump them.

I also read the Wall Street journal. I make a good living and have used some brains and you alls kind help not to take over your hobby or attempts to mine the federal reserve of its silver content :). But to spend time with my children educating them on the coins out there and that you have to put forth work and effort to get anything(even if its a few random silver coins or wheat pennies as my wife looks through)?

As people have said. It is not a get rich quick scheme. It is a cool past time with a slight reward Like searching baseball cards as a kid looking for that rookie card except you can trade in all the no keepers for your money back.

Just my thoughts.

Doc C.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does one get approached by a WSJ editor about something, unless you are already making some considerable noise about it?

Just curious?

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
How does one get approached by a WSJ editor about something, unless you are already making some considerable noise about it?

Just curious?
Logged on one evening with a PM from him, he sent it to a few folks. I guess people who have "coin roll hunting" as their type of hunting or w/e.
:D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread