Fake Silver Ike

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was driving through some small towns and spotted a coin shop. Bought a 40% silver half dollar (real), and an Eisenhower dollar. When quoted the price for both I instantly knew the Ike was fake as the LCS didn't charge anything for it.

Here's the pic - what grabbed my eye when I saw it was how silvery and clean it looked.

Weights:

Real Silver Ike on the left - 26.3g
Fake Ike on the right - 22.7g

While it didn't fool me, I can definitely see it fooling others if they don't pay attention. But why fake a 40% Eisenhower?

Fake Ike.jpg

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Was driving through some small towns and spotted a coin shop. Bought a 40% silver half dollar (real), and an Eisenhower dollar. When quoted the price for both I instantly knew the Ike was fake as the LCS didn't charge anything for it.

Here's the pic - what grabbed my eye when I saw it was how silvery and clean it looked.

Weights:

Real Silver Ike on the left - 26.3g
Fake Ike on the right - 22.7g

While it didn't fool me, I can definitely see it fooling others if they don't pay attention. But why fake a 40% Eisenhower?

View attachment 781551

The copper-nickel Ike should weigh 22.7g. The silver one should weigh 24.6g, so that is the suspect one.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I wrong in thinking that the "fake" silver Ike is a real Ike dollar, just "silver" plated? If so, and they didn't charge you for it, you came out $1 ahead - good deal!
I realize that plain, "no S" Ikes were minted in 40% silver also.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a bit confused, if the coin shop had sold you a silver ike then they would have charged you $9ish. If they only charged you a dollar and change then they sold you a regular clad ike which you assumed was silver because it was silvery and clean?

OP
OP
rckymtn

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sag: Corrected weight of real silver Ike 24.6g. I had forgot to take it out of the flip.

Joe: That was my expectation as well. I was charged $4 for both the 40% half (pre-dip) and the eisenhower dollar. If it had been represented as silver it would have been $13 for both. I would have refused the offer at that point as I knew the Ike couldn't possibly be silver.

I suspected it was fake since it looked so artificial. My guess is it is a silver painted Clad Ike.

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found an Ike at a pawn shop. 1976.....they told me it was silver....I did not think it was so we both researched it on the web....I was correct....he weighed it and it was clad (I could tell by the edge)....I bought it for $1. We both learned something.

OP
OP
rckymtn

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the clad Ike have a silver edge.

No it doesn't. It looks as silvery as the front, from edge to edge. The whole coin looks like that and looks like something you'd get out of the gumball machine lol.

My real Silver Ike does not go silver from edge to edge, but rather looks like most 40% coins do - silver with a dark brown/black stripe..

From top to bottom:

Fake/Painted Ike
Real 40% Ike
Clad Ike

Ikes.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread