Newbie Questions about machines??

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello everyone, ive been aroundnd on this site for a month or 2 but never posted before so im not new new. but anyways, im 14 yrs old and i have coin roll hunted a little bit 6 boxes of pennies (cents) crh nickels dimes and halves, but nothing really over $100. i want to get a box of dimes but dont know of any free counting machines, ive used coinstar but dont want the gift card or take a $25 hit. so any info on what i should do would be awesome. im in the central valley area in california btw.

Upvote 0

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Homie, welcome to the site. Coinstar is a rip-off. Bring your coins into a bank near your area regardless if you have an account, it usually doesn't matter with small dumps (dumps<$1,000 for me). Some tellas want you to bring them rolled, others do not care. Simply walk into a bank, show them your coins and ask them for a refund in paper. They should have no problem giving it to you. While your in there I heard if you ask the five magic words you can get free silver. It was on the radio hmm what was it...oh yea "Exchange for pre sixty-five" let us all know how that works out. We're all too shy to try.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
hello everyone, ive been aroundnd on this site for a month or 2 but never posted before so im not new new. but anyways, im 14 yrs old and i have coin roll hunted a little bit 6 boxes of pennies (cents) crh nickels dimes and halves, but nothing really over $100. i want to get a box of dimes but dont know of any free counting machines, ive used coinstar but dont want the gift card or take a $25 hit. so any info on what i should do would be awesome. im in the central valley area in california btw.

Do a google search of banks and credit unions in your area and call them.
Ask them if they have a coin counter in the lobby.
If they do then as what is the min deposit for a no fee savings account.
I live in metro detroit. The banks/credit unions where I dump, would require a minor to have a $25 saving account, to use their coin counter for free.

Ignore Eminem, he normally isn't allowed to speak to children

OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks I did that and I found several now all i need is call up and ask, thanks for all the advice

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are only doing one box you could reroll them. It takes a while at first but with practice you can dump the whole roll into your hand carefully so the dimes are in a stack on its side, edge check for silver, and then slide them into a new wrapper.

OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mercury ill most likely do both because the counter might have a 3%charge

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can usually find a free coin machine if you look close enough, but rolling is probably best.

Since you're 14, you should probably favor a bank closer to you, and if they want them wrapped, then you're wrapping coins.

OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I have found one a cu branch near my gym and the machine will be free since I'm minor !!!!!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Same banks/credit unions charge others don't. I have one credit union that even if you are member charges you, and yet there is a bank that I have an account with that doesn't charge and says I can bring as much as I want without problem. My only problem is carrying them all in. I have returned a thousand dollar with no problem. If its smaller amounts, I would just reroll them. And don't dump and pick up at same bank. Monday I am going to a small branch bank or credit union in my hometown and see if I can open a account, whether its an checking or savings.

Sincerely, GarouLady

OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks garou lady ill look into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread