First nickel box and I found a buffalo 9 rolls in

JimmerUSD

Jul 12, 2013
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the title says I have found my first buffalo nickel. Like the pictures show though I do not have a date on it:BangHead:. What can I do to help figure out the year?
DSCN2496.JPG DSCN2497.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JimmerUSD

JimmerUSD

Jul 12, 2013
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is just worn down to the point that the date does not exist on the coin anymore.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is just worn down to the point that the date does not exist on the coin anymore.

I've done about a roll's worth of dateless buffs and only had one that I couldn't get a full date on. I promise, it will probably still come up.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow that stuff looks like it works quite well!

Yep it works quite well! I have used it on a bunch of mine that I'm putting in my album; I have found about 10 that are pre-1920 (1920 is the earliest one I've found in circulation that had a date; I've found a few 1916 and 1917).

OP
OP
JimmerUSD

JimmerUSD

Jul 12, 2013
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it is a 1918 but there is a spot around the date now. Does that destroy any value it had?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it is a 1918 but there is a spot around the date now. Does that destroy any value it had?

If it was dateless, it didn't have any value to begin with. You could probably get someone that would want to buy it, but unless it is the 1918/7 D buffalo nickel, you probably wouldn't get much for it.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

It had no value. It is now a filler, but it is more likely that someone will buy it. If they want one for the collection, they can buy former dateless ones and have them act as fillers before they get some readable date non-acid enhanced ones. The only people that would buy a dateless one would be jewelers who may want to make bracelets with the design.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread