Other
Last edited:
Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Started finding some cool coins in my register at work, did a little Googling, then went from there.

- DS

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was about 12, I already knew I could get rolls from the bank, so I did. That was almost 40 years ago.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across it when I was searching for ways to find silver as cheap as possible, some internet article said try searching coins from the bank and here I am.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined this site because of the yard sale forum and to share some of my coin collection and found out about coin roll hunting while browsing on here.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some research on TN and found the CRH section. The rest is history.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I realized that many pre-65 silver coins look exactly like the coins you see in your pocket change and so naturally some people would spend them at face value. Well, where do you get coins? At the bank...

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
OTHER: I was CRH'ing casually for years - not for silver, though. It was a way to search for old nickels and wheats for my collection. It wasn't until I found Treasurenet that I realized that (a) there's still a considerable amount of silver still in circulation and (b) you can still get rolls of Halves from the banks.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 years before I joined Tnet, I started becomming aware to the world and how it really works compared to what we are brainwashed to believe, and wanted to get into precious metals, I told my buddy about it, and he got even more into it than I did.

We had watched some video about CRHing and finding silver through circulation, I never really thought anything of it, He tried a box or 2 of nickels, and didnt have any luck, so that was about it.

About a year later I stumbled on Tnet from interest in metal detecting, and got my ace 250. Made some sweet finds, but then I started reading ALL sections of treasurenet, mainly the current active topics being discussed in real time. (New Topics)

And I dont know, I stumbled across some of the CRH threads because of the titles, maybe "MASSIVE SILVER FOUND" or similar haha... And I still remember talking with a co-worker who also was reading the site as much, or more than I was. We were talking about Timzim, and how crazy it would be to be in his shoes, messing around with 50+ boxes a week, and even thinking half of that amount would be AWESOME!!! Especially all that silver!

So here I am, about 9 months later, and have been consistantly doing 24-30 boxes per week, for the past 3-4 months... Pretty crazy thinking back... Good ole trip down memory lane.

HH all!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started building set of state quarters back in 1999 when they first came out. Forward into 2007 I thought I should build the Washington quarter set backwards as early as possible. So I sorted my change and found only one 64 quarter and nothing older. So I went to my coworkers around my cubicle with questions and one of them happened to be a coin collector and roll hunter. Another coworker used to be a coin dealer. They explained to me about the silver coins and CRH and commented how luck to have found even one silver quarter. I googled and found out more people were still doing CRH even then. I found one 67 half out of $250 on my first attempt. Two weeks later I found my first big score (30 90%ers + 21 40%ers out of $160). Now I've become an avid CRHer and coin collector.

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had an Eisenhower, looked for its value, found coinflation, began buying boxes from there. Remembering all the coins my great aunt and grandma gave to me and kicking myself because they were probably worth something.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a buddy who started. He did all denominations and I decided to give it a try. Got lucky on my first 3 bags - 4 silvers, 12 silvers And 29 silvers (including a walker) consecutively. Never looked back. I never thought I would find so much cool stuff as I have in the past year. My buddy got a new job and doesn't have time now, but I'm grateful he passed it on

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
I took an online economics class earlier this year. One of the questions from the Week 1 assignment was this:

Owning to the rising cost of copper, in 1982 the U.S. Mint changed the composition of pennies from 95% copper (and 5% zinc) to 2.5% copper (and 97.5% zinc) to save money. Your favorite aunt has a collection of 5,000 pennies minted before 1982, and she intends on gifting the collection to you.

What is the collection's value based on metal content alone? Copper sells for $3.50 per pound and zinc for $1 per pound. It takes approximately 130 pre-1982 pennies to add up to one pound of total weight.

Answer: $129.81
Selected Answer: $129.81

Each penny is worth about 2.6 cents for its metal content. The numismatic value of each coin is most likely much greater. Note: It is illegal to melt down coins.

Value of metal in collection = (5,000/130 lb)(0.95)($3.50/lb) + (5,000/130 lb)(0.05)($1.00/lb) = $129.81

I collected Lincolns and Wheats when I was around 10 in a Whitman Coin Folder my Dad bought me, but the hobby eventually died off. After reading this Econ question, I couldn't get this "metals" concept out of my head. I had never heard this before. The next day I googled as much as I could about the metal content in cents, which led to other denominations, which led to ebay, which led to youtube videos, which led to wikipedia, which led to a google search for "Coin Roll Hunting", and then i clicked on the first link. So basically, I started out thinking it could be an easy way to make some cash on the side by finding and selling coins on ebay, but I ended up rediscovering a forgotten hobby. My only regret about this whole deal is that I wish I had have known about CRHing when I was a kid, then this dime book might have been done in a tenth of the time!

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Found out that old coins were silver from World Famous Pawn Stars in Vegas in a TV episode. Googled Silver coins and how to get them and bam found CRH.

i dont do high volume though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread